Search the forum,

Discuss Getting rid of plasterboard in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chalked

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Every bathroom I do, I always allow for a skip. They have been warning for a few months that no plasterboard is allowed.
i have been putting small off cuts in, and this skip was no exception.
Had a large skip picked up today and received a call when they picked it up. I was warned before they came that any plasterboard would be bagged and returned or charged for, because the tip where they take all the non recyclable will not take it.
by the way I am friends with the skip company owner.
anyway, when they sorted it, in there was about a builders large bag of plasterboard. So they are now charging me £45 disposal fee! On top of the £180 skip.
i understand that they now have to sort this into a hazardous waste skip. But what do I do next time?

Tell customer to to get rid themselves, but tip won't take it.
pay extra for a separate plasterboard skip!
bury in in a field?
fly tip?

they are not making it easy to get rid of!
If this hasn't happened to you yet. Mark my words it will.

Not allowed plasterboard in skips round our way. But will accept some as long as its on top of the skip when its collected.

How long before I here local radio offering the disposal service " Gov QUANGO "

surely its only Paper/card + Plaster ?

they tried banning plasterboard in leeds about a year back but ended up with a plasterboard skip after a few months never had a problem with skips though

We bag separately and put on top of skip. Has been in place for the last few years.If the measure becomes more draconian then fly tipping and hiding in wheely bins will increase.

Every bathroom I do, I always allow for a skip. They have been warning for a few months that no plasterboard is allowed.
i have been putting small off cuts in, and this skip was no exception.
Had a large skip picked up today and received a call when they picked it up. I was warned before they came that any plasterboard would be bagged and returned or charged for, because the tip where they take all the non recyclable will not take it.
by the way I am friends with the skip company owner.
anyway, when they sorted it, in there was about a builders large bag of plasterboard. So they are now charging me £45 disposal fee! On top of the £180 skip.
i understand that they now have to sort this into a hazardous waste skip. But what do I do next time?

Tell customer to to get rid themselves, but tip won't take it.
pay extra for a separate plasterboard skip!
bury in in a field?
fly tip?

they are not making it easy to get rid of!
If this hasn't happened to you yet. Mark my words it will.

Order a smaller skip rather than the £180 you're using now, and also order a mini skip for the board, so both come to the same price as the original £180.
Or bag the board on an understanding with the skip owners that it will be clearly marked and bagged for them to dispose of, placed on top of the normal £180 skip you use.
When skips go back on skip site for disposal there's one or two lads employed to sort through as and when the skips come in.

Not heard of this round our way. But local tip has a skip for plasterboard and used that sometimes with small loads.

Only one tip near me will accept plasterboard. Something to do with the plasterboard giving off radon. As far as I knew skips would take anything. Thanks for the heads up.

I take small amounts to the local tip. But even they are charging for that and rubble now.

What you mustn't do is bag it up, drive to a block of council flats and dump it in their big bins. I'd never do that but my friend has and apparently it was easy...

So what you supposed to do with plaster board covered in old tiles then bad it as p board as said getting silly having to have 2.skips

Same round here as long as its separated thay seem happy ,for now !!

most sites now have numerous skips and god help anyone who fills them with the wrong stuff, you'll be kicked of rather quick if it anything like that I've seen down here, tiz another reason to avoid site work:)

most sites now have numerous skips and god help anyone who fills them with the wrong stuff, you'll be kicked off rather quick if it anything like that I've seen down here, tiz another reason to avoid site work:)

most sites now have numerous skips and god help anyone who fills them with the wrong stuff, you'll be kicked off rather quick if it anything like that I've seen down here, tiz another reason to avoid site work:)

Leave all your carp in a pile and let the labourer tidy it up

Lame is correct all sites now separate rubbish and plasterboard has been on this list for few years,

try using hippo bag in future

Lame is correct all sites now separate rubbish and plasterboard has been on this list for few years,

try using hippo bag in future
its not the fact that it has to be separated, it's more that it is charged extra and expensive!

not round here?

makes you laugh, british gypsum 7 mile down road, they dig it up and make the board but you cant tip it!!!!!!!!

its classed as a non hazy waste but it can only be landfilled at very few landfill sites that have a specific setup to contain it and stop it mixing with biodegradable/ organic wastes which can cause a certain gas to be released.

so its alot more expensive to get rid and must not be mixed with other stuff. Alot of sites now have a skip supplied by the plastering company which is part of the contract to remove there waste and recycle. One job i went onto i was told on induction that if anybody is caught putting other waste in the plasterboard skip it will be a charge of £500 due to the extra recycle costs.

why dont they just water it down and reuse it?

they do recycle it back onto boards but ive been told by a few spreads that the recycled board can be very poor and they have found all sorts of stuff in it like glass, nails, screws etc....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Getting rid of plasterboard in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock