Currently reading:
Getting a job as a plumber with a criminal record?

Discuss Getting a job as a plumber with a criminal record? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

paulm

I don't know if this is the right place to post but wanted to post it

I am getting sentenced in 2 weeks and told to expect about 2 years. Because of the length I was told I would get to do a course for getting a job after I get out.

Most of the courses are about bricklaying and plumbing but I don't know how hard it would be to get a job like that now or in a year or two especially with a criminal record or having a chance of being an apprentise.

If I did get to do a course would it be good when I am going for a job or would they see it was done in prison. Does it matter much about having a criminal record if you want to be a plumber? Would it be a good job for me to try and get? If you were taking people on would you give somebody like me a job?

Even sexual offenders come in "grades" of seriousness.

Get ratted on your stag night and flash your tackle in the street? You could find yourself on the sex-offenders register.

why don't you do the course and keep your nose clean, then speak to your gaffa and try and get an apprentiship maybe as a maintainence plumber in the prison? mega long shot what with crb and the likes but they know you and know your history and more importantly that your on the straight and narrow

I'm assuming this course is free? Payed for by tax payers? Grab it with both hands. Better that paying 6 grand to the other criminals for a worthless bit of paper.

It depends on the crime, child molesters do not deserve a second chance

It depends on the crime, child molesters do not deserve a second chance

Maybe a 2 second chance to get into a better spread
aiming-at-a-target.jpg

Ive got a caution on my record from when I was 18. I found a train pass on the floor and used it. Im ow 33 and still have to explain this. The fact im honest about it speaks volumes. I had a crb check done for my current role and was horrified to see what it said. Apparantly as a dumb teenager I signed the caution without looking trusting the police officer for theft and fraud!!!! I know am classed as bad as someone who steals shed loads of money or cons old people for bunking a train
Obviously I now have a hatred for police officers.

Last edited:
when i started this game at least half the workforce had some sort of criminal record for some reason it was the painters who were worst then i found out it was one of the main courses the boys could do in borstal

I don't even know what courses they will have - depends on what prison I get. I'm 20 so my brief said i would be in Young Offenders first and then prison when I'm 21. He said it will probably be Feltham at first but it could be some prison that has a Young Offenders wing especially if I'm going to have to be transferred after a few months anyway. I heard that Feltham is pretty bad so hoping I get somewhere else

I got GCSEs but don't think there's much point thinking about A Levels now

Problem is you'll be going up against lists of guys who don't have records and have the same skills. So who are they going to employ?

You would probably be best off keeping quiet about it and going self employed and work that way when you're done. Your offence isn't uncommon, I don't loads of guys who have been done for gbh and I have no problem working with them.

Yeah I know it will be hard whatever I do especially these days when I know lads who have no records and can't get work but have to be thinking that someone will give me a chance.

Good luck! Lad I knew went in for 5, came out different bloke. Straight as he could be after doing 5 years, set up own joinery business now has about 12 lads and owns a few houses. He got everything taken through proceeds of crime so fresh start. Also.... Went in a phat git, now ripped health freak!

Sounds good - can only dream of ending up like that. If someone like that can start again and do well then there's hope for someone like me.

why don't you do the course and keep your nose clean, then speak to your gaffa and try and get an apprentiship maybe as a maintainence plumber in the prison? mega long shot what with crb and the likes but they know you and know your history and more importantly that your on the straight and narrow

I'll be nearly 22 I think when I get out - probably a bit old to start an apprentiship. I'm definitely going to do something when I'm in there - pass the time and better than being in a cell and you get extra allowance for doing it. At least people will see I am trying to make me better

I'm assuming this course is free? Payed for by tax payers? Grab it with both hands. Better that paying 6 grand to the other criminals for a worthless bit of paper.

That's one of the good things about all this

Ive got a caution on my record from when I was 18. I found a train pass on the floor and used it. Im ow 33 and still have to explain this. The fact im honest about it speaks volumes. I had a crb check done for my current role and was horrified to see what it said. Apparantly as a dumb teenager I signed the caution without looking trusting the police officer for theft and fraud!!!! I know am classed as bad as someone who steals shed loads of money or cons old people for bunking a train
Obviously I now have a hatred for police officers.

Man that's crazy. Thought cautions you didn't even have to declare. Do they tell employers about even that. My record will be even worse then if everything I done is on it

A crb check will show everything you have done as an adult in other words 18 and over

A crb check will show everything you have done as an adult in other words 18 and over

It shouldn't.
After ten years without further offences. You are declared rehabilitated by act of parliament. Past crimes won't show on crb unless its an enhanced crb which can only be conducted on applicants for jobs that involve children or other sensitive occupations. Or obviously if the offence was sexual which will always show.

I don't even know what courses they will have - depends on what prison I get. I'm 20 so my brief said i would be in Young Offenders first and then prison when I'm 21. He said it will probably be Feltham at first but it could be some prison that has a Young Offenders wing especially if I'm going to have to be transferred after a few months anyway. I heard that Feltham is pretty bad so hoping I get somewhere else

I got GCSEs but don't think there's much point thinking about A Levels now

Yeah I know it will be hard whatever I do especially these days when I know lads who have no records and can't get work but have to be thinking that someone will give me a chance.

Sounds good - can only dream of ending up like that. If someone like that can start again and do well then there's hope for someone like me.

I'll be nearly 22 I think when I get out - probably a bit old to start an apprentiship. I'm definitely going to do something when I'm in there - pass the time and better than being in a cell and you get extra allowance for doing it. At least people will see I am trying to make me better

That's one of the good things about all this

Man that's crazy. Thought cautions you didn't even have to declare. Do they tell employers about even that. My record will be even worse then if everything I done is on it

22 isn't old, you may not get on apprenticeship but more than one way to skin a cat. Do every course and qualification available in the clink. Going to take some restraint not to end up getting into more trouble in prison. Will you be eligible for training grant when u leave? I would try and get A-level in clink as will show perspective employers you are no longer and idiot and intend to make an input into society and not simply circulate in the rubbish justice system we have.

It shouldn't.
After ten years without further offences. You are declared rehabilitated by act of parliament. Past crimes won't show on crb unless its an enhanced crb which can only be conducted on applicants for jobs that involve children or other sensitive occupations. Or obviously if the offence was sexual which will always show.

Mine was well over 10 years and still showed up. Can I get it removed then?

Saying that mine was probably enhanced. Working in social housing brings you in contact with kids and vulnerable adults.

Is this what my wonderful trade has come too, crims in Plumbing cowboy courses in the nick?? A Cell Bi.ch becoming a Plumber?? OMG!!! I can hear the old boys I did my apprenticeship with turning in their grave! Is this how low we have become, the dregs of society fighting for our work?

Is this what my wonderful trade has come too, crims in Plumbing cowboy courses in the nick?? A Cell Bi.ch becoming a Plumber?? OMG!!! I can hear the old boys I did my apprenticeship with turning in their grave! Is this how low we have become, the dregs of society fighting for our work?

So, nobody should get a second chance? Or they can as long as it's not in 'your' trade?

Can I please ask? Would you be happy working with some child molester that's not even done a proper apprenticeship?? How long would it be before we all get branded with the same title?? In my view & I know it's the view of many, many others in our trade; you need to do a full apprenticeship before calling yourself a Plumber.
Of course everyone should get a second chance, but why should our trade be polluted with these kiddy fiddlers & shirt lifters??

There are two different issues. Criminals & qualification/level of experience.

The OP is looking to better himself, good for him. He's not going to be able to get the same training as he would on the outside, but he's making a start.

What about all the properly qualified & experienced plumbers out there who are crooks & cowboys (just looks at the photos in the photos of shame thread or whatever it's called!).

Classing any crook as a kiddy fiddler is hardly fair is it?!

Would I be happy working with ex-criminals? Who says I haven't already, how would I know?

Do you always crb check everyone you work with? What about customers, do you crb check them?

People are people, some are dodgy, some not, some outright nutters, but that's people for you.

My wife is a doctor and works in forensic mental health.

Pedophiles are getting a lot of stick here. Henry the 8th slept with 12 year olds all day long!
Pedophilia is wrong and I feel sorry for any one on receiving end. Being attracted to children is not a choice for them much like being gay or straight. Acting on your sexuality is though if your a pedo. Yes I have children yes I think it's discussing and would kill a pedo if one even looked at my son.

Perhaps drug dealers and people traffickers would be a more suitable comparison though for this chap as he's a bit of an ex thug?

If they, at our expense(tax payer) are training crims & kiddy fiddlers as Plumbers, then it's the same issue. Of course it's the same issue & we should highlight it to the poor unsuspecting British Public! Doctors bury their mistakes, but a poor trained Toy Plumber is a danger to everyone.
If the OP could please give more details of this scheme - if he's not already banged up??!! Then I'll take it up with my local MP & ensure the Daily Mail is informed directly.

If they, at our expense(tax payer) are training crims & kiddy fiddlers as Plumbers, then it's the same issue. Of course it's the same issue & we should highlight it to the poor unsuspecting British Public! Doctors bury their mistakes, but a poorly trained Toy Plumber is a danger to everyone.
If the OP could please give more details of this scheme - if he's not already banged up??!! Then I'll take it up with my local MP & ensure the Daily Mail is informed directly.

If they, at our expense(tax payer) are training crims & kiddy fiddlers as Plumbers, then it's the same issue. Of course it's the same issue & we should highlight it to the poor unsuspecting British Public! Doctors bury their mistakes, but a poorly trained Toy Plumber is a danger to everyone.

Good old daily hail!

I think that it should depend upon whom you are going to work with. Second thing your experience as well as the type of criminal record you have. If would hire some one i wouldn't think about a criminal record until there is not so heat created.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Getting a job as a plumber with a criminal record? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back