Search the forum,

Discuss Gas work in college - Commercial or not? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm new to this forum and I have a question.

A colleague of mine is installing a gas boiler in a building within an F.E. college. The building houses a plumbing (not gas) training workshop and several classrooms. The boiler is a replacement for a condemned unit and it's sole purpose is to heat the building via radiators. It is not for use for training purposes.

Said colleague is GSR domestic only as am I. My question is, is this work 'commercial' or domestic? I believe it is commercial but he disagrees.

What do you guys think?

I would say it's commercial

What's the pipework size and meter ?

I would say it's commercial

What's the pipework size and meter ?

The incoming pipework is 3/4" LCS coming up from a concrete floor. The length and diameter back to the meter is 'unknown' as it is underground but probably at least 100 metres. This is a large college so presumably the meter will be larger than a U16.

Defo not then

What boilers going in and size ?

I would say your friends working out of scope

I would say your friends working out of scope

That's exactly what I think, if for no other reason than not being able to determine the pipe sizing. I've tried to reason with him and he's now saying that he knows a commercial GSR who will sign it off on completion but is not overseeing the work as it happens. My colleague is a lecturer in plumbing and gas at the college and is involving L2 & L3 students. I think my best course of action now will be to speak to someone higher up.

Many thanks for your advice.

Steve.

That's exactly what I think, if for no other reason than not being able to determine the pipe sizing. I've tried to reason with him and he's now saying that he knows a commercial GSR who will sign it off on completion but is not overseeing the work as it happens. My colleague is a lecturer in plumbing and gas at the college and is involving L2 & L3 students. I think my best course of action now will be to speak to someone higher up.

Many thanks for your advice.

Steve.

:D that old chestnut

I would tell the college he's not legal to work on there installation

It's Commercial.
No doubt.
Just that pipe run alone took it out of domestic scope.
He doesn't sound qualified, or insured to me.

The criteria is as follows:-
U16 (16 Mtr Cu/Hour Meter) or less AND
pipework 35mm bore or less AND
35 dm (0.035 meters cubed) Total installation Volume or less including the Meter.

If the answer to all three is yes then you could class it as domestic size even though I think that is wrong. It doesn't really matter what I think but there you go.

It does not matter if he sections bits off either. It is the total installation volume you need to take into account

It’s not just the pipe sizing that makes it commercial but the scenario it’s in. Even when fitting a domestic boiler it’s a commercial building. Most likely not insured for it either as their are guidelines on most PLI’s and different classifications. Much more expensive to rebuild a college than a domestic place.

It’s not just the pipe sizing that makes it commercial but the scenario it’s in. Even when fitting a domestic boiler it’s a commercial building. Most likely not insured for it either as their are guidelines on most PLI’s and different classifications. Much more expensive to rebuild a college than a domestic place.
I have always been told (even by Gas Safe) that as long as the volume is less then that stated above and that the meter is U16 or smaller and the boiler manufacture state that the boiler is a domestic boiler you are fine. However I know my insurance covers small offices but not Dentists or Doctors surgeries. However I am not commercial trained and by the sound of it that pipe run alone is massive and would come under commercial

According to the manufacturers instructions this boiler is solely intended for domestic use. It specifically excludes commercial use. Page 4 Headed Determined Use. Any other use is deemed inappropriate, which would also put it outside of any warranty. It's a minefield.

According to the manufacturers instructions this boiler is solely intended for domestic use. It specifically excludes commercial use. Page 4 Headed Determined Use. Any other use is deemed inappropriate, which would also put it outside of any warranty. It's a minefield.

I've just checked that, you're right. That's one scrap boiler now then as they've trashed the packaging!

Just to update, I took this to a higher level and the college is now going to get an outside commercial contractor in to do the work.

Many thanks for all your help and advice - it made a big difference in sorting this mess out.

I've just checked that, you're right. That's one scrap boiler now then as they've trashed the packaging!

Just to update, I took this to a higher level and the college is now going to get an outside commercial contractor in to do the work.

Many thanks for all your help and advice - it made a big difference in sorting this mess out.

Spoil sport.

I can't see that ???

IMG_3287.PNG

Still doesn't say it can't be used in that one either

It does say not for Commercial use on page 4 under the Heading determined use .

Determined use The product is not intended for commercial use. The product may only be used in a domestic situation for the heating of central heating water and for DHW heating in a closed-loop DHW and heating systems. Any other use is considered inappropriate. Any damage that may result from misuse is excluded from liability.

Not intended that's not a no :D I would phone Worcester up and they would be like yea it's fine

Shall I ask ?

You're aiming to get written permission from Worcester to install that Boiler as part of a Commercial installation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas work in college - Commercial or not? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock