Search the forum,

Discuss Gas Training in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jase158

Hi I am looking into doing the gas training,

I want to know....

Which courses do I need to be gas safe registered and what experience I need

Is it just ACS, 10 days

or Nvq 6012, 6034 and 6132

Please only leave comments on facts, not opinions.

NO COMMENTS ON YOUR OPINIONS OF FAST TRACK COURSES.

I am going to work with somebody for as long as possible before I start doing gas on my own.

Also does the acs have to be renewed every year, if so, how long is the re-training each year?

But I want to be gas safe registered before i start working on gas, although i believe that i need a minimum amount of experience before i can do the training, i.e.

Please feel free to leave comments on your experiences with gas safe.

Also, I have heard of MPower in Waltham Abbey, has anybody had experience with them, are they a training centre or a college? are they city and guilds certified and is 16 weeks normal time for ACS training or is it longer?

and be competent fuzzy, ive nearly done my gas course now and will soon be doing my acs, some of the lads on my course havn't got a clue and it scraes the living daylights out of me.

to be competent? well that would be a different question, but to be gas safe you need to have a current acs qualification

yes sorry fuzzy forgot to mention that, its what you do after i suppose.

Sorry, but am I to understand that to be gas safe registered, any tom, richard or harry can just go to a training centre, do a 10 day course and then apply to gas safe to become gas registered.

This seems to make a mockery of the whole Gas Safe registration to me.

Is there no clear experience needed, I have spoken to several colleges/ training centres about this and they vary, from 140 days experience, written proof, to absolutely no experience, this seems crazy to me. Also some say you need NVQ2 Some say NVQ3, Some Say Technical Certificate level 2 and some say no previous plumbing experience what so ever?

I know it is only one pipe for the gas to boilers, cookers, i.e. but I would not like somebody who has only done 10 days at college to install my gas pipe or to even service my boiler.
God only knows what the damage would be if they had to change a part inside the boiler.

Your best bet is to call the center where you plan on doing the assessments they will put you straight, there are certain categories which your ability and qualifications will determine what training etc will need.
For example I have certain qualifications which are not plumbers qualification and all I did was assessments as a cat 2 candidate 3 days long done and dusted

the question was what do you need to become gas safe, the answer is acs qualified.

if the question is what do you need to become acs qualified then yes it does change depending on your catagory
cat 1 - already gas qualified, ie nvq 3 in GAS or old ACOPS
CAT 2 - trade related qual such as nvq2 or 3 in plumbing or H&V with 140 days proven gas experience
cat 3 - no related quals but extensive gas experience of minimum 240 days

ok with this?

cat 1 , no expirience needs to be proven
cat 2, tech certs do not apply as they are now full quals, only nvqs. so somebody with a nvq2 is cat 2, someone with a tech cert 3 is a cat 3

ok cheers guys,

so what acs is it that i need to do?

cen1
ccn1,
i.e.

I am looking to install and service boilers.
also i want to be able to install all gas appliances, cookers, fires i.e.

I am Cat 2 plumber

you have an nvq in a related trade?
ccn1 is the core
cen 1 boilers
cpa1 analysers

i have tried calling them, but they all vary in their answers, I am not the sort of person who will pay stupid money to get a certificate that is useless, i like to do my research.

Guidance note 8 says 140 days for Cat 3s. Where did you get 240 days from?

They are the guidance notes outlined by the ACS Executive Committee. Combined off and on the job training duration for a Cat 3 entrant to be eligible to sit their training and assessments for central heating is 140 days.

whats guideance note 8?

training for central heating?

im on about ccn1, i am sure they ask for 240days on and off job training, 140 days for cat 2

training for central heating?

im on about ccn1, i am sure they ask for 240days on and off job training, 140 days for cat 2

You obviously need a portfolio of evidence of time spent with an engineer consisting of installations, services and repairs. If you want to come in after the placement and sit your CCN1, CENWAT1 and CPA1, guidance note 8 states you need to provide 140 days (70 days for CAT2) worth of evidence consisting of in-centre training and work based evidence. If you want to come in initially to sit your HTR1, it states that you need to provide 100 days (only 50 days for a CAT2).

When I was researching training, some companies told me that I only needed to provide about 3 weeks worth of evidence and then they were going to get me through core plus 5 appliances?! I have absolutely no idea how some of these companies are allowed to operate.

You obviously need a portfolio of evidence of time spent with an engineer consisting of installations, services and repairs. If you want to come in after the placement and sit your CCN1, CENWAT1 and CPA1, guidance note 8 states you need to provide 140 days (70 days for CAT2) worth of evidence consisting of in-centre training and work based evidence. If you want to come in initially to sit your HTR1, it states that you need to provide 100 days (only 50 days for a CAT2).

When I was researching training, some companies told me that I only needed to provide about 3 weeks worth of evidence and then they were going to get me through core plus 5 appliances?! I have absolutely no idea how some of these companies are allowed to operate.

never heard of an acs centre needing a port folio of evidence mate. im on about the document stating all the work done that constitutes a total of 240 days signed by a GSR for a cat 3. as the ccn1 has a range of gas elements anyway the work must be from a range

I'm pretty sure that all training centres need to see a portfolio of evidence from a CAT3 before the candidate can sit their CCN1 & appliances. The only instance where you wouldn't be required to is if you were doing a course that is ACS aligned such as an NVQ3 or a City & Guilds 6012 or other like courses.

signwed written evidence that can be audited is all thats required. the gsr signature is the authenticity

i have nvq2 in h&v and a nvq2 in gas pipe installations,
i am cat2 and my acs examiner requires 240 pre-days plus a 50 job portfolio.

10 miles away they want 3 months and 24 jobs.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas Training in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Hello, I am looking for an honest opinion please, with my current employment I get a lot of time off, I am considering completing a gas safe course with the view to use my spare time to potter about doing boiler services and that only, am I naive to think it’s that simple? Thanks
Replies
Views
I want to start working on the gas side of plumbing and heating. I am a sole trader working with plumbing and heating and have the NVQ level 2.I would like to know what is (if there is)the best way of gaining gas training and qualification without causing too much disruption and time out of my...
Replies
Views
Hi, need your honest views if you would be so kind. I’m 48 and work for the NHS (office based) and earn 44k a year. Ive been do fustrated and fed up in my work for so long that I’ve enrolled to do my gas safe and become an engineer. I know it’s hard work but I’m really excited and I’d love to...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m looking to retrain as a gas engineer and do a new entrants gas course. I’m a bit concerned by the ‘on-job’ work experience/shadowing, as some course want to charge £1500 to pair you up with a qualified engineer. Some courses don’t offer pairing and suggest you find your own engineer to...
Replies
Views
Just an update to anyone who was following the thread on this site: Tify to gas engineer, what will it take? I got a DM from a user asking for an update, he like myself was gobsmaked at the level of abuse I got from asking a basic question. Thanks Tom for the DM, I managed to pass in 2019...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock