Discuss Gas smell in meter box in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All - another dumb question, so apologies in advance. Today I opened the meter box at my "new" 80s terrace to take meter readings for the first time. There was a wiff of a gas smell, which disappeared in the fresh air and didn't return. I will repeat this tomorrow to confirm, but I think there might be a very slow leak (?) . Call supplier? Your thoughts and advice appreciated :)

It might be from when they turned the gas back on

But agree with the others better safe than sorry

You could wait and try again as you say your choice

Thanks Guys !
I tried the cupboard again this morning and got the same very small wiff of gas. I've called my local GSR and he's popping by 8am tomorrow. I'm pretty sure it's very minor, in that it takes overnight for the smell to be noticeable at all, and only when the meter cupboard door is first opened. Then it's gone. We'll see what Allan finds tomorrow :)

If you had phoned 0800111999, as advised, they would have been out and sorted it by now.Free of charge.

Even a "small" smell of gas can emenate from a large escape. the chances are it is from a fitting, but "outsiders" are escapes in the street which track into buildings around the lore loosely compacted earth etc around services.

If your local could not respond quickly, he really should have advised a call to Cadent.

It might be from when they turned the gas back on

But agree with the others better safe than sorry

You could wait and try again as you say your choice

Sorry, Shaun. On this I have to disagree. A smell should be reported and investigated as soon as.

From experience, if someone thinks they smell gas, they nearly always are.

Cat homes notwithstanding :)

If you had phoned 0800111999, as advised, they would have been out and sorted it by now.Free of charge.

Even a "small" smell of gas can emenate from a large escape. the chances are it is from a fitting, but "outsiders" are escapes in the street which track into buildings around the lore loosely compacted earth etc around services.

If your local could not respond quickly, he really should have advised a call to Cadent.
I do agree however on the small chance the leak is from the governor. Then yes it would have been free of change. However CADENT will not repair fittings.

I do agree however on the small chance the leak is from the governor. Then yes it would have been free of change. However CADENT will not repair fittings.
Yes they do, mate.
Technically, anything up to the outlet is their responsibility. In practice, they would often repair anything in the box. Alrhough the latter may be an area thing. There is normally only 2 fittings after the outlet, unless there is a Tee.

Yes they do, mate.
Technically, anything up to the outlet is their responsibility. In practice, they would often repair anything in the box. Alrhough the latter may be an area thing. There is normally only 2 fittings after the outlet, unless there is a Tee.
I’ve been to loads where they have just TOFO.

Where the leak was before the outlet?

If so, a call and bollocking would be in order. Up to the outlet is their problem. Without question. And they disc the outlet, not the inlet.
No mate. I’m on about the outlet when I say fittings.

No mate. I’m on about the outlet when I say fittings.
Ok, Harv, but you confused us slightly :) :

The thing is, in a box, the leak, from experience, is nearly always a washer (one of 3) or test nipple. And when (and where) I was there most guys would sort out a small issue on the immediate outlet pipe, certainly of it was a compression fitting. It is often easier to sort than to do more paperwork.

Hopefully the OP will elucidate, after his mate calls

Ok, Harv, but you confused us slightly :) :

The thing is, in a box, the leak, from experience, is nearly always a washer (one of 3) or test nipple. And when (and where) I was there most guys would sort out a small issue on the immediate outlet pipe, certainly of it was a compression fitting. It is often easier to sort than to do more paperwork.

Hopefully the OP will elucidate, after his mate calls
Sorry for the confusion

Hi All - well - 0800111999 got a call this morning and they promptly attended. Turns out the regulator was dribbling so it got replaced. He also added a meter bracket (!!!), a new isolator and a bit of pipework. So all is well again at Casa daWilko, thanks for your thoughts and good advice :) .
I've got happy snaps but the Forum won't let me post them just now. I'll try again later on tonight.

Upload a file button

Yep that's the one. Does the upload then responds with error message " problem with pic" or some such. The nerve !

No never seen that but will double check

Hmmm just done it for me will check it out

Strange but ok :D

And then regulators are in the list to be change due to leaking

Odd ball way to tee into black iron but there you go.
When you said open the Meter box I was imagining the plastic external type.
How big is your 'Meter Box'? not intending that to sound personal in any way!

Odd ball way to tee into black iron but there you go.
When you said open the Meter box I was imagining the plastic external type.
How big is your 'Meter Box'? not intending that to sound personal in any way!

Ha! I was the same. I am guessing this is a meter cupboard above a bin store?

bracket not fixed to wall or floor.
I see what you mean. LHS pipe appears to be in the way of the bracket so he's not attached it to the wall ! I'm away tonight but back home tomorrow, I will confirm in case it's a trick of the photo angle.

Pleased to report no more gas smells. Not so pleased the nice new meter bracket fitted by Mr Gas is floating 6 inches from the wall. So my questions - is this a safety fail and should I get the 0800111999 guys back?

Or a decent gas safe engy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas smell in meter box in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back