Search the forum,

Discuss gas safe boys in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi all i'm looking at doing the gas safe cource, but the college at north west london, has said i have to be working in, the industry ... can someone shine some light on this please, as now what i'm thinking, is theres no hope of being a gas man unless a firm employes me, wicth just is'nt going to happen without experience, so my mane question is how can become an engineer,

thanks

How old are you? Do you have any plumbing experience? Your best bet would be to try and get an apprenticeship and get in with a company that will then give you on the job experience with release for college. There's no real recommended quick way to get into gas and I'd recommend taking your time because of the safety aspect of it

well im 31 to old to get apprentiship is there another way into it ? i do have a level 2 in plumbing and a little experience too ,

There are still apprenticeship options mate. Not as common but still there. Speak with the college they may have other suggestions. I would recommend trying to contact as many companies as you can and tell them your plan you might be surprised

I've heard people are getting put on Gas Safe courses through job centres, crazy I know, don't know if it's true or not but worth a look :S

hi all i'm looking at doing the gas safe cource, but the college at north west london, has said i have to be working in, the industry ... can someone shine some light on this please, as now what i'm thinking, is theres no hope of being a gas man unless a firm employes me, wicth just is'nt going to happen without experience, so my mane question is how can become an engineer,
I have been trying to get in the plumbing and gas industry since 2008 but you get told don't have experience don't have the qualifications but I was also told I was over qualified because I have level 3 C&G 6129, I have paid out nearly £20K on training I have level 2, level 3 I had unvented water heaters but that has expired and I never did one, water regs and part p electrical - waste of time and money wish I never got into it, I went through olci who went into administration their awarding body wanted core plus 4 I couldn't get enough fires and cookers so couldn't finish my portfolio. I paid out another £4995 to go with Brookhouse training cleakheaton in 2015 they guarantee a work placement so you can build your portfolio I got through my ACS in November with CCN1, CPA1 and CENWAT1 got a job with the company for 6 months but then another guy came along from Brookhouse so the boss got another 3 months + of free labour so told me he couldn't afford to keep me on. So I'm back in the same boat went for a job interview on Monday 18th April for dual fuel smart meter installer training I don't have MET1 or the electric meter qualification but they can train you but found out today I didn't get it, the only jobs I see you need 2 years - 5 years experience - NO ONE will give you the experience so end up costing the country £1000's in JSA/ ESA payments and get left poor and in debt because employers have an I'm alright jack attitude.

sounds like you had a ruff time trying to get into it markjack, but with all those qualifications are you not ready to go out there and just do it, i was told when you do the gas course they teach you all you need to know, so as to just go out and start, and if not to just get online looking at common boiler faults to gain knowlege, i might have to walk away from a job or 2 but I'd be kicking myself that i could'nt fix it then be back online looking again.

What is so appealing about being a gas engineer that someone would pay 20k to try and get into it?! The mind boggles....

sounds like you had a ruff time trying to get into it markjack, but with all those qualifications are you not ready to go out there and just do it, i was told when you do the gas course they teach you all you need to know, so as to just go out and start, and if not to just get online looking at common boiler faults to gain knowlege, i might have to walk away from a job or 2 but I'd be kicking myself that i could'nt fix it then be back online looking again.
This is exactly the point you can't come off of one of these courses and expect to be experienced you need to be doing the work day in day out every day that is the only way you learn. Mine was a very cackhanded route to get to where I am. I came out of school with no qualifications went to college and did all my plumbing qualifications was very lucky in the fact that I was working with a family friend part time but I made the effort and built some bridges with some of my college tutors as well and when as a know all teenager I decided rather than go into plumbing I would run pubs I remained friends with these guys. When I decided about 10 years ago that I had to try plumbing because if I didn't I wouldn't I was still able to contact these guys and they were very knowledgeable about getting into the game. My previous comment still stands in that you need to speak to the college as there are other options available to you. I would not recommend one of these six-week courses as you can come out the other end in exactly the same position as you went in. Some people have done well out of them but I think the majority vast outweighs the minority. You can't beat experience and learning on the job. I would recommend contacting local colleges, but do you have adverts in local plumbers merchants, you would be surprised as I know several guys that have taken on people with little or no experience because when they've met them they are mature theyre sensible they're not afraid to work and learn. Be prepared for a pay cut and some long hours If you prove to someone that you're worth your while then they will happily train you in gas but don't rush it if you have absolutely no qualifications in plumbing as you will come unstuck and have some very unhappy customers

All the courses really do are teach the legalities and how not to be unsafe.

I've been in the industry for more years than I care to remember and I'm still learning.

As Riley said above if you do get your foot in the door, be prepared for long hours with little reward. If you're determined enough you'll get on.

thanks

you cannot work on gas without being gassafe registered.
you cannot get gassafe registered without having experience,of working on gas.
whats not to understand :eek:mg_smile:
and it only gets worse

well im 31 to old to get apprentiship is there another way into it ? i do have a level 2 in plumbing and a little experience too ,

have met far older apprentices than 31,its attitude not age that should set you apart.

Not the best way to go about it but I know plenty of guys who paid up front for a 6 months course where they go out on a work placement with a qualified gas engineer take phots and write up a work record to provide a portfolio as proof of on the job experience.
Hard part is getting the placement sorted.
Then you have to try get job as someone who is technically qualified but has no experience.

I know a few guys that went this route and are better engineers than some guys who went the usual apprentice route.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to gas safe boys in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock