Search the forum,

Discuss Gas meter nightmare... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

thereisawizza

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Evening all!

Called to do a service yesterday, new customer to me. Went to meter to carry out gas rate, found front half of semi-recessed box but back missing, meter in cavity. Also gas outlet pipe from meter run down in cavity before entering screed.

Here's the plan:

Remove meter, anaconda & governor (as a wonner) and remnants of box. Brick up and fit surface box, run new external pipe to boiler.

Do I need MET1? This job needs to be "whiter than white" as I created merry hell logging this AR fault with SGN yesterday as they were contracted by Scottish Power to do a meter exchange 3 months ago, which they did, giving it a clean bill of health. The customer has raised a complaint with GSR about Scottish Power as he no longer has any gas.

Yes you do. You are moving (or uninstalling and reinstalling) a meter, so you need the ticket.

As far as SGN are concerned they would see it as a chargeable job as they didn't fit the meter originally, very kindly estimated to my customer £400-800. I've pushed the point that they were the last ones to work on it which makes them responsible; the customer is stuck in the middle and thinking about going to the press!

As far as SGN are concerned they would see it as a chargeable job as they didn't fit the meter originally, very kindly estimated to my customer £400-800. I've pushed the point that they were the last ones to work on it which makes them responsible; the customer is stuck in the middle and thinking about going to the press!

Fair enough. Do you know anyone with MET1?

The OP is responsible for the downstream only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas meter nightmare... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a gas warning notice for at risk as the outside wall meter box has been drilled through for the gas pipe to go horizontal straight to the boiler. The...
Replies
Views
J
Hi - I'm not sure if this is the right forum or not, but I'm looking for some advice with regards to a recent (nightmare) new gas boiler install. Our old gas combi boiler needed replacing, so we shopped around and got a deal via BOXT. Our understanding is that BOXT then sub-contract to local...
Replies
Views
Mark Butler
M
H
Hi I wonder if anyone can help please. I'm building a new small house and propose to install a natural gas kiln in an outbuilding. The new house house will probably have a combi boiler 24-28kw & gas cooker hob (say 8kw). I have no technical information of my kiln [25 yrs old] - manufacturer...
Replies
Views
Hotwork40
H
I need some advice… Our gas meter is currently in the garage conversion and runs under the stairs into the kitchen where we have the boiler. We want to do the following things: 1. Replace with a combi boiler and move to the loft. We are a semi detached house so need to the pipes run up from the...
Replies
Views
I am new gas safe and met hard situation when I did gas safety check on large property with 3 acre site. The property is old and large size, installed two 30KW heat only gas boiler to supply CH and DHW, range cooker and gas hob. I was be told the meter is installed at the entrance of the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock