Search the forum,

Discuss Gas fire isolation valve - fitter says its illegal in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

Hi, hope you can help me. We have just placed an order for a new gas fire, hearth and back panel and the fire shop has said that they can remove the isolation valve currently situated about a foot away from the existing hearth (you remove the cap and screw the internal part in to isolate). They went as far to say that this type of isolation valve was illegal.

I'm concerned about the legality of this and would appreciate your view. I have read the gas regs which state that an isolation valve must be fitted and also the fire installation notes which say that the appliance comes with an isolation valve fitted to the supply so no other isolation device is needed. This new fires isolation valve is located, as I understand it, under the fire with the manual controls. My gut instinct is that the isolation valve currently fitted should stay but it would be nice to get rid of the unsightly thing if it is legal to do so.

The fire is a Gazco Logic HE and the fire shop seem to have a good reputation.

Thanks!
Matt

I think your referring to the 'restrictor elbow' and no they're not illegal, they're deemed 'illegal' when folk remove the tubing and leave the 1/4" tapping unplugged.....

Trust the gas safe registered installer....if customers start trying to tell me their interpretation of the rules I politely decline to undertake the work...

Is there a gas fire in place now?
If not, is the restrictor elbow capped?
If not, that may be what they are referring to.

Yes there is an existing fire fitted which is still connected - we do not use it as the glass on the front has a crack. I've just googled gas restrictor elbow and yes that's exactly what it is. This is what they told me they could remove and was illegal.

I must stress that this is only the people at the fire shop that have given me this information. They employ fitters to do the work but the store staff have told me that they have removed the elbows before.

I will trust the gas safe engineer to do what they have to do but as it stands I can either ask them to remove the elbow or leave it. I'd be grateful of your experience as to whether it's legal to keep the elbow and also whether you would suggest I keep it or remove the unsightly thing.

Get it removed. Restrictor elbows that are left in place and unused look pony.

Ive never hreard of them being illegal , we called them pedestal cocks and you can still purchase them , i dont know why companies stock them TBH as we only remove and never instal them now lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas fire isolation valve - fitter says its illegal in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock