Search the forum,

Discuss Gas explosion in Manchester in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
As soon as it came through I have to admit I checked my diary to see if i'd been anywhere near. Perhaps it may promote the facgt that GSR engineers should be used and checks must be done!

Heard this earlier said one critical in hospital sadly turned into a death.rip

apparently there was a smell of gas for a while

I condemned a fire last week because the gas valve was letting by, after the switching it off the old man said " I've been able to smell gas for a long time never did any harm till you come along" I **** you not!

Ashfaq Hussein, whose father is the landlord of the house where the explosion took place, said: "We are absolutely shocked."

From my experience of rented houses not too far from this area, I'll wager the gas had been sorted by a 'mate' and there's never been a landlords safety check done. If that's the case I hope the landlord gets time for manslaughter.

Ashfaq Hussein, whose father is the landlord of the house where the explosion took place, said: "We are absolutely shocked."

From my experience of rented houses not too far from this area, I'll wager the gas had been sorted by a 'mate' and there's never been a landlords safety check done. If that's the case I hope the landlord gets time for manslaughter.

I hope so too

Rest assured lads, if there's a recent GSR completion report or a recent Landlords Certificate covering the property they (the insurance company) will come down on the operative like a ton of bricks. If they (Mr Plod) find that copper/lead gas piping has been removed by a criminal and sold to a local scrapyard they (Mr Plod) won't bother because they don't want to be accused of violating the criminal's human right to ply his criminal activity without let or hindrance from the forces of law and order - ESPECIALLY if he is not a UK citizen.

Rest assured lads, if there's a recent GSR completion report or a recent Landlords Certificate covering the property they (the insurance company) will come down on the operative like a ton of bricks. If they (Mr Plod) find that copper/lead gas piping has been removed by a criminal and sold to a local scrapyard they (Mr Plod) won't bother because they don't want to be accused of violating the criminal's human right to ply his criminal activity without let or hindrance from the forces of law and order - ESPECIALLY if he is not a UK citizen.

Do I detect a hint of cynicism in this post?

To soon to say yet, may not even be gas could be unvented, although there had been a smell of gas before the explosion. As to none GSR fitters, lets remind ourselves the last big explosion was said to be down to a GSR fitter. Because a person is GSR does not make them unable to make mistakes like anybody else, its dangerous to think GSR's cannot make mistakes.

To soon to say yet, may not even be gas could be unvented, although there had been a smell of gas before the explosion. As to none GSR fitters, lets remind ourselves the last big explosion was said to be down to a GSR fitter. Because a person is GSR does not make them unable to make mistakes like anybody else, its dangerous to think GSR's cannot make mistakes.

Very true!

I'll bet my last penny that it isn't an unvented cylinder.

I know unvented cylinders can go bang, but:

a: They tend to go off like a rocket, with the bottom welded seam as a weak spot. They tend to go up and not as much out.
b: They have simple factory fitted safety components (the combined temp/pressure relief valve) which would fail safe - only a complete fool would take this out and cap it.
c: They don't smell like gas.
d: They generally don't totally destroy houses and make the neighbours feel like an earth quake just occurred.

Gas is the most legislated trades of all and with good reason.

With electrics if you get a dangerous fault, you'll generally kill one victim.
With water, the flood damage can run into thousands but you'll generally not kill anyone (though it does happen).
With other trades carpentry, plastering, tiling, you can have dangerous work completed but its more rare and again more likely to harm a single victim.

With gas, especially explosions. You tend to wreck whole buildings and often neighboring buildings have to be pulled down too. When people die, it's often in numbers.

The explosion of a bulk LPG tank a few years ago killed over 20 people. The gas leak dropped into the drainage, under the building and BOOM. Totally destroyed a whole factory and killed most of the people inside.

If anyone touched that gas supply (registered or not) in the last 12 months, I'll imagine they'll be going inside.

A child has died it's a tragedy. Very sad.

Last edited:
The videos i have seen of unvented explosions look nothing like a gas one , unvented goes off like a surface to air missile .

Is it me tho are gas explosions becoming more common???

The videos i have seen of unvented explosions look nothing like a gas one , unvented goes off like a surface to air missile .

Is it me tho are gas explosions becoming more common???

Exactly what I was saying. The seam at the bottom is the weak point and BOOOOM it goes and all the energy is released at that point. Up in goes, through the roof. Not good but not enough to pull a house down.

Mythbusters did a good example (check Youtube) or when you refresh your qualification you will sit through a few vids of them going pop.

Gas explosions are becoming a bit more common.

Everyone is more skint, so they cut corners, or have a go themselves. Cheaper doesn't always mean better value. Cheaper can mean cheap. Cheap normally means crap.

This forum has had plenty of plumbers complaining of lack of work, it's testament to the current economic situation in this country. Luckilly I can do my own work to a safe standard. If I had to employ someone to work on my gas, I might be looking for a bargain too. It doesn't pay to scrimp. Always check your tradesmens qualifications.

Last edited:
I would love to know how they even start to piece that together! Looking at the devastation how would they know if it was an incorrectly soldered pipe or a dodgy valve on a o/f appliance.

They must have their ways. The truth will out. They'll probably start with the paper trail though, and ask when the appliance was last serviced, or if a landlords appliance they'll ask to see his safety cert. Then it's simply a case of working out who's signed the peice of paper.

Something was clearly wrong.

Who knows. I've seen cases like this, when people were trying to trick the gas meter and have come a cropper. Time will tell. They'll get to the bottom of it.

saying on the news they are treating it as suspicious as there was a domestic incident the night before, who knows what caused the explosion

So sad that a child has died, my thoughts got to the child's family.

Danny made some good points.

Although its not proven who was at fault yet and we may never know, I think it just goes to show the importance of an annual safety check, and the fact if you smell gas to call the gas board on 0800 111999.
Like someone mentioned earlier, it seems every time I do fine a gas leak the occupants 9 out of 10 times say "yeah I have smelt it for a while" it just goes to show gas safe need to do more in promoting gas and it's dangers.

The onus is always on the engineer, but as a industry everyone needs to take responsibility in promoting safe gas work, safety checks, safety procedures, the sale of gas part and appliances to gas registered engineers only.... The list goes on.

Rant over have a good day all. :)

Problem is "unvented" relies on mechanical and electrical safety features to keep them safe. Unfortunately like RCD's they can fail. I have seen film of unvented cylinders exploding and they do tend to explode in different ways and it has been said they can destroy whole blocks of houses. They are highly dangerous that is why you have to be registered with the Home Office to fit them.
Fortunately the safety features used on them seem to be reliable and I would not put anybody off buying one, but the safety problems have to be born in mind safe and inform the customer why they should not muck about with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have been on for years about stoping the sale of gas products and fittings to joe public, but nothing will get done about it ! Had one in Plymouth Couple of years back Young gill kill'd on way to school, side of house blew off, and still nothing done,
May be good idea to get one of our Advisor's to start a petition so we could all sign it and forward it on to Number 10 :deal:

With electrics if you get a dangerous fault, you'll generally kill one victim.

Although I don't have any evidence to back this up, I'm willing to bet that most electrical-related fatalities in GB nowadays are as a result of a fire, so perhaps that's not accurate.

I agree with the (unquoted) rest of your post though.

Although I don't have any evidence to back this up, I'm willing to bet that most electrical-related fatalities in GB nowadays are as a result of a fire, so perhaps that's not accurate.

I agree with the (unquoted) rest of your post though.

thats a bit like the council that justified putting in a speed camera due to the number of deaths on a certain stretch of road there had been three deaths one was a heart attack on the pavement and the second a suicide from a bridge the third was legit

Some guy they was speaking to say's when he got to site there was a strange smell but not like gas ?? maybe somthing more sinister !! things being made that go Bang !

found 2 gas leaks this week, one with no smell of gas but a 6mbar drop, the other with a strong smell of gas and a 2mbar drop, pipework was lead then went to MI, ECV was stiff as hell and I think it was on the supply side so capped and phoned gas board, customer says "we've smelt that for ages but just thought it was a funny smell"

Police have said they have significant questions to ask the man in hospital!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas explosion in Manchester in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock