Search the forum,

Discuss Gas Engineer Courses... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
which ever way you want to angle this, the answer is always the same, you need to be working in the industry

Jeeze I give up. The OP just wanted to know what qualifications Brit Gas, EON etc looked for. Probably best if you just ask them direct.

The C&G offer so many qualifs it is hard to identify which tickets to aim for.

All these replies just present a catch 22 of - cant get qualified without a job - cant get a job without being qualified.

BG are looking for NVQs in Gas now, everyone looks for NVQS or the old C&Q Advanced Craft, not tech certs.

Jeeze I give up. The OP just wanted to know what qualifications Brit Gas, EON etc looked for. Probably best if you just ask them direct.

The C&G offer so many qualifs it is hard to identify which tickets to aim for.

All these replies just present a catch 22 of - cant get qualified without a job - cant get a job without being qualified.

Its a shame that you now decide to give up when confronted with the facts.

C&G's offer all the correct qualifications, they cover each trade, I think its very easy, what is it you find hard to understand? ill try to help you

No catch 22, of course you cannot get a job as a plumber without being qualified, did you think you could? You can get qualified without having a job as a plumber, this has always been the case, its called an apprenticeship. That option is still open.

i fear from your posts that you are looking for a short cut, because you are struggling to find one you are letting your frustrations get the better of you, thats fine I understand your frustration, however it is not our fault or the fault of qualified engineers and as such you shouldnt get angry with those posting the facts for you on here.

C&G's are only an awarding organisation, they do not write the standards, you should try summitskills

There are a lot of gas realted NVQs, which are required?

well ive posted a link for you, any related trade nvq with relevant experience would probably get you in most organisations. you could email BG and/or look through the C&G websites

Your gas course will make you the gas equivilent of the spark who can't hang a pendant. Get a qual with no experience will not enable you to do the job.
Stick to your own trade. The grass is no greener.
Everyone is different tho so you might make it work. Big money to be made in CP12's so i hear.

Btw my daughter could wire up an S plan without a drawing before she was 12. It was a great disappointment to me when she refused to take up the gas game. She was halfway there!

To those looking to qualify as a Gas Fitter on a short course. I'm speaking from someone who did a fast-track course to get me into plumbing. It can work (and it has for me) but this is with a bloody huge uphill struggle in year 1 to get the experience in. As others have commented, these courses take a lot of your money and teach you a lot about nothing. If you have a Gas Fitter who you can pass any jobs you are unsure about to then it can work out fine. Give them the jobs in exchange for hands-on experience and learning with them.

I'm looking to add an electrical qualification (fast-track course as I too can't afford to be an apprentice for 4 years). It's a 5 week course which in theory will make me a fully qualified electrician. I'll be finding a local electrician to pass anything I'm at all unsure to though and will learn off them. To start with I will stick to running wiring for electric showers and things I'm happy doing. Certainly won't be attempting whole house rewires from day 1.

In summary, it can work with the right approach, just don't think for 1 minute that you will be an expert on all things (or indeed anything) gas from day 1. As others have said, if you have no plumbing experience I would learn to plumb first before considering it. I'm not gas safe registered but this is logical advice to me!

hi im a newbie on here. In my experience theres allways a way in if you want it bad enough.Was recently working on an extention fitting kitchen and bathroom for a builder.The customer used there own plumber for the new boiler and heating system.Plumber turned up nice shiney new van all sign written but no gas safe mentioned.Ten minutes later another nice shiney new van pulled up but this one had gas safe plastered all over it.To cut a long story short the plumber fitted the boiler did all connections most of the pipework and commissioning.gas safe guy hung the radiators.Got chatting and as it turned out plumber had no qualifications at all and gas safe guy had no experience said he wouldnt know where to start installing a boiler but he had the qualification to sign it off .So that worked for them and had done for years. That was there way into both sides of the industry.Maybe some of you could try that route.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas Engineer Courses... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock