Search the forum,

Discuss Gas Engineer Courses... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

emanresu007

I am weighting up whether the gas engineer courses are going to enable me to get easily find work afterwards.

I spoke to a OLCI rep;yesterday and he said you do 20 days workshop and then 15 'jobs' where you have to get a evidence of your work, photographs and signatures;ect, once you do that you can take your ACS exams which encludes all the necessary Q's to that a Gas Engineer needs (CCN1 Etc) .That would take on average about 4-6 months. and the cost is £3995.

And that companies like British gas, E ON, Could employ you afterwards. What is the reality of OLCI, I have heard that its hard to get gas engineers to take you on because its more hassle for them to take you on when you are doing on the job training why would they let you do jobs on there business??...

Any thoughts. I'm from the Wirral and heard that Hybrid are good?

Last edited by a moderator:
British Gas wouldnt touch you with those "qualifications" no one would the reality is you wont get any employement with these courses they just dont offer you the right experience and qualifications

save your money....and dont sign anything you wont have a chance in hell getting a job with BG

Ok, why do you say this ??

apparently all you need is the ASC skills to be a fully qualified gas engineer, is that not true?

Ok, why do you say this ??

apparently all you need is the ASC skills to be a fully qualified gas engineer, is that not true?

ACS is a gas safety course. It does not train or assess your gas skills or teach you how to work with boilers etc. It is a gas safe course for people with relevamnt experience and or skills. It is taken every 5 years to ensure your still working safe and allows you to register to install gas appliances.

Therefore just having ACS is not proof for any employer of skills. Just that you can do the baics safely. no employer is looking for that, they want the skills and experience and then ideally the ACS. If the right employee/candidate didnt have a current ACS the firm would just put them through it

ACS is not to teach gas, the nvq is

Yeah thanks, after the olci course Fuzzy, you do the ACS assessment, right?!,

On the course you do 20 days training, and then you have to build up a portfolio of jobs, 15 in total with OLCI, after that you do the ACS assessment, The ACS is taken every 5 years and costs £1000, but each gas engineer needs this to be classed as a gas engineer.

The ACS tests cover CCN1,4 others from the five listed below:CEN1 central heating boilersCKR1 cookersHTR1 gas firesWAT1 water heatersCPA1 combustion performance analysis

So if I have a portfolio of work...!? and I pass the ACS test and I am a qualified gas engineer......

Is that not good enough????

Cheers Pal, thanks for your assist mate.

You can not buy experience,call your self what you like,if you can not do the job,you can not do the job and getting a bit of paper so quickly will not change that,even if bg did employ you,you would soon be found out and then out on your ear,with £ 4000 less to cushion the blow

imho

Yeah thanks, after the olci course Fuzzy, you do the ACS assessment, right?!,

On the course you do 20 days training, and then you have to build up a portfolio of jobs, 15 in total with OLCI, after that you do the ACS assessment, The ACS is taken every 5 years and costs £1000, but each gas engineer needs this to be classed as a gas engineer.

The ACS tests cover CCN1,4 others from the five listed below:CEN1 central heating boilersCKR1 cookersHTR1 gas firesWAT1 water heatersCPA1 combustion performance analysis

So if I have a portfolio of work...!? and I pass the ACS test and I am a qualified gas engineer......

Is that not good enough????

Cheers Pal, thanks for your assist mate.

Yes you will be a fully qualified gas engineer, your phone will be ringing off the hook with job offers, make sure that you turn down anyone offering you less than 40k per annum, 80k is easily achievable.

You can not buy experience,call your self what you like,if you can not do the job,you can not do the job and getting a bit of paper so quickly will not change that,even if bg did employ you,you would soon be found out and then out on your ear,with £ 4000 less to cushion the blow

imho

I agree, that there are lots of boilers and fires and cookers, but surely the whole point of passing the ACS test, means that you CAN do the job? Right?

Yes you will be a fully qualified gas engineer, your phone will be ringing off the hook with job offers, make sure that you turn down anyone offering you less than 40k per annum, 80k is easily achievable.

Just don't know what to believe, I guess if BG and EON arent taking on newbies then you just have to go self employed...

do you install a boiler in ACS ??? you dont do much in ACS to be able to walk out and claim to be a plumber/heating engineer unless you have already worked in the industry for a few years and know and understand heating systems. The whole point of this is we are trying to tell you the course isnt worth the money, you wont get a job, and you wont be good enough to go self employed. Read all the rest of the posts on this matter, take your tinted glasses off and wake up and smell the coffee we are in a recession construction trade is struggling, you have just missed BG's recruitment to be honest

Last edited:
im assuming you don't install a boiler..!!

im just trying to get all the facts,

im not a plumber, no.

I agree, that there are lots of boilers and fires and cookers, but surely the whole point of passing the ACS test, means that you CAN do the job? Right?

No,it is designed to try to ensure that the works you are doing are done correctly and safely,making you aware of current standards and makes sure you are capable referencing relevant regulations relating to the works you may have to carry out

you really need to know about pipework systems and basic plumbing at least before even considering training for gas work. otherwise how would you know if the system is working correctly before and after your work.

Hey Steve, undertstand what your saying. they do teach you the basic first, but its just 3 days worth, not like what you guys know!

oh! there's three ways to be gas safe,

route one, 4 years known as love slave,

route two, 'pay your own way' mind, you have to save,

route three, says, 'if thee can pee & the others aint for thee'..
give us £ive grand and we will enlighten yee.:shocked::clap:

No, acs does not mean you can do the job, as i said before its only a safety course. you need to be able to do the job BEFORE you do the acs. you can be a gas engineer without acs, just cannot practice until you get re assessed

acs is not the gas course for newbies, the nvq is

olci is one hundred and fifty hours of buddying up with qualified gas engineer not 15 jobs

you get your portfolio empty sheets after the 10 day basic gas course which is after the 3 day copper pipe bending and 2 day steel pipe bending and the 5 day gas intro course

then you do 5 day gas assessment and 5 day acs then you can become self employed and if you get your marketing right you make lots of money

Your 3 day pipe bending will come in handy when you have the empire up and running.

Tamz your forgetting the 2 day steel pipe bending that means world domination we all be working for him in a bit lol

Hi

Alana here from OLCI Construction Training.

OLCI is offering different routes to becoming a Gas Safe Register gas engineer, depending on your previous experience and qualifications.

We also have a job placement officer, who may be able to assist you in finding work experience. Although we cannot guarentee work, we will do what we can to help you.

I would like to discuss this with you. Please can you call us on 0800 316 8100. Alternatively you can email me on [email protected] with you name, contact number and that you are responding to this comment.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes,

Alana Fox

olci is one hundred and fifty hours of buddying up with qualified gas engineer not 15 jobs

you get your portfolio empty sheets after the 10 day basic gas course which is after the 3 day copper pipe bending and 2 day steel pipe bending and the 5 day gas intro course

then you do 5 day gas assessment and 5 day acs then you can become self employed and if you get your marketing right you make lots of money

nick you are living in a dreamworld pal!

yes you will be classed as qualified gas engineer after acs, but the course teaches you nothing other than basics in gas safety, legislation and certain procedures. as fuzzy keeps stating it is the nvq and experience which teach you the job.

the course will not teach you how to;-

install boilers
install fires
install cookers
install gas meters
install water heaters

it will not teach you how to fix mrs smiths boiler which has an intermittent firing problem.
it will not teach you how to strip out and service/replace faulty components
it will not teach you how to design a full heating system
it will not tell you how to deal with building fabrics
it will not make you competent with tools
it will not teach you how to understand heating and hot water systems

in fact it will teach you very little other than a couple of gas tests and a few heat loss calcs if you are lucky

everything else you learn on the NVQ and with on the job training under supervision from a time served gas engineer

KJ

p.s if you are not already a plumber you therefore won't understand plumbing systems and therefore if you go to a job where either the heating or hot water isn't working how will you know if it is a problem with the boiler or a part of the system? and if its the latter you are gonna look like a chump when you say you can't fix it, then the next feller comes along and fixes it in 5 mins and tells customer it was a very very very basic fault.

sorry pal but it don't work like that!

all marketing will do is get the phone to ring but if you don't know the first thing about fixing appliances or have any knowledge of plumbing systems how are you gonna make any money???
all you will have is large overheads and large calves from all that cycling round to customers you can't actually help!

Is this thread for real.

Time served ex BG engineer worked for manufacturers and BG. 20 years in experience on breakdown/service/install and I am finding it hard to find work. What is happening in this industry £4000 150hrs.

people think the acs is a all out gas course, thats what gets me, its only for people who can already do it

the course will not teach you how to;-

install boilers
install fires
install cookers
install gas meters
install water heaters

it will not teach you how to fix mrs smiths boiler which has an intermittent firing problem.
it will not teach you how to strip out and service/replace faulty components
it will not teach you how to design a full heating system
it will not tell you how to deal with building fabrics
it will not make you competent with tools
it will not teach you how to understand heating and hot water systems

Ok so lets accept that he wants to get trained on the above in addition to safety theory but doesn't have the option to tag along with someone for 4 years and £95 pw - there are loads of courses out there but what should be be looking for in terms of ones that will lead to a recognised qualification? Of course the training needs to be backed up with practical experience but help the guy understand what courses are worth doing because c&g sure as hell don't. c&g 6129 then 6128?

the 6129 is a plumbing qual
the 6128 is a heating and vent qual
what your talking about is a gas qual, [DLMURL]http://www.cityandguilds.com/65522.html?search_term=gas[/DLMURL]

which ever way you want to angle this, the answer is always the same, you need to be working in the industry

if you go on C&G website, follow my link it has all the quals available from them, you can even search all the assessments required, all the information is there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas Engineer Courses... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock