Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Hi, welcome to the new look - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

  2. WARNING! We do NOT provide advice related to Gas or other fuels to people who are not currently an official registered Heating Engineer. Do NOT ask for advice related to boiler repairs or installs. You need to find a heating engineer instead.

    Either seeking or providing advice on may result in your account being suspended or removed. These rules are in place to prevent deaths, which can easily occur from messing with heating systems when you're not qualified to do so.

Discuss Gas courses in the Gas Safe Register Forum - Public Forum area at

  1. jbbs

    jbbs New Member

    Hi, I'm a pipefitter/welder wanting to get into the domestic/commercial gas sector. Wanting to know if anyone can recommend any good training centres.

    many thanks

  2. kay-jay

    kay-jay Trusted Plumber GSR

    Most training centres dont offer a great deal of training and will be very expensive. Most will also sell you down the river when ut comes to completing a portfolio.

    The best thing yiu can do is try to get a job with someone you can shadow and learn the ropes. Or uf you can spare 1 day a week offer your services as a mate to a local gas man.

    After which you can go to a training centre and sit your assessments
    • Like Like x 1
  3. ckyens

    ckyens New Member

    jbbs. Save your money and forget the gas courses, providers will tell you anything to get you to sign up and hand over thousands of pounds. The ACS lasts for 5 years then you have to sit the exam again. If you want to work on cookers , fires , combis , unvented cylinders ,meters , hand held cpa , lpg. You have to per extra per appliances , which again last 5 years. Your cpa and test device have to be calibrated yearly. To work in the gas industry you have to pay Gas Safe £400 for the first year and £200 thereafter to work legally.
    Its a cut throat industry money money money, its a lot to fork out if your not earning.
    If I knew what I know now I wouldnt have bothered.
    Its the same for Oil firing (OFTEC) course to, only more expensive to go on their register if you want to be a registered installer. However you can service oil boilers without being on the oftec site.
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  4. kay-jay

    kay-jay Trusted Plumber GSR

    You appear to be under a misaprehension that im looking to enrol on a course.

    I was not the original poster and i was offering my input.
  5. Dotty

    Dotty Guest

    This is probably the funniest thing I've read in ages!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Riley

    Riley Plumber GSR

    You'd think the gas Safe badge on Kay-Jays profile would be a dead giveaway ��
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  7. ckyens

    ckyens New Member

    Ammended accordingly.
    • Like Like x 1
Similar Threads - courses Forum Date
Plumbing refresher courses Plumbing Forum Jul 1, 2017
ACS Courses. Best way into the gas industry ? Gas Safe Register Forum - Public Forum May 15, 2017
Training day courses Plumbing Forum Apr 25, 2017
Advice on courses and qualifications to take? Plumbing Forum Jan 24, 2017
CCN1 Gas courses New Member Introductions Jan 13, 2017
Gas training courses Gas Safe Register Forum - Public Forum Jan 8, 2017
Gas safe courses New Member Introductions Jan 5, 2017