Search the forum,

Discuss Gas courses in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jbbs

Hi, I'm a pipefitter/welder wanting to get into the domestic/commercial gas sector. Wanting to know if anyone can recommend any good training centres.

many thanks

jbbs

Hi, I'm a pipefitter/welder wanting to get into the domestic/commercial gas sector. Wanting to know if anyone can recommend any good training centres.

many thanks

jbbs
Most training centres dont offer a great deal of training and will be very expensive. Most will also sell you down the river when ut comes to completing a portfolio.

The best thing yiu can do is try to get a job with someone you can shadow and learn the ropes. Or uf you can spare 1 day a week offer your services as a mate to a local gas man.

After which you can go to a training centre and sit your assessments

jbbs. Save your money and forget the gas courses, providers will tell you anything to get you to sign up and hand over thousands of pounds. The ACS lasts for 5 years then you have to sit the exam again. If you want to work on cookers , fires , combis , unvented cylinders ,meters , hand held cpa , lpg. You have to per extra per appliances , which again last 5 years. Your cpa and test device have to be calibrated yearly. To work in the gas industry you have to pay Gas Safe £400 for the first year and £200 thereafter to work legally.
Its a cut throat industry money money money, its a lot to fork out if your not earning.
If I knew what I know now I wouldnt have bothered.
Its the same for Oil firing (OFTEC) course to, only more expensive to go on their register if you want to be a registered installer. However you can service oil boilers without being on the oftec site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kay Jay. Save your money and forget the gas courses, providers will tell you anything to get you to sign up and hand over thousands of pounds. The ACS lasts for 5 years then you have to sit the exam again. If you want to work on cookers , fires , combis , unvented cylinders ,meters , hand held cpa , lpg. You have to per extra per appliances , which again last 5 years. Your cpa and test device have to be calibrated yearly. To work in the gas industry you have to pay Gas Safe £400 for the first year and £200 thereafter to work legally.
Its a cut throat industry money money money, its a lot to fork out if your not earning.
If I knew what I know now I wouldnt have bothered.
Its the same for Oil firing (OFTEC) course to, only more expensive to go on their register if you want to be a registered installer. However you can service oil boilers without being on the oftec site.
You appear to be under a misaprehension that im looking to enrol on a course.

I was not the original poster and i was offering my input.

You'd think the gas Safe badge on Kay-Jays profile would be a dead giveaway ��

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas courses in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Does anyone know a good, not super expensive, leak detection company in the London area?
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock