Search the forum,

Discuss Gas bottles in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucas121

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
My boss is an old school plumber. As a result we still use the big 3.9kg calor bottles for our blow torches.

He uses these bottles because he spends roughly £15 every 6 months getting it refilled, and once you have actually carried it into the house its a lot easier to work with as your just holding the blow torch rather then a blow torch and gas bottle. (That said the hose does get irritating!)

How come everyone else uses the 400g bottles? Doesn't it work out a lot more expensive? Iv never actually used one, my boss says hes happy to pay for the refill of the 3.9kg bottles, but if I want to be using the 400g bottles at £10 a pop I have to pay myself....... Sod that!

I changed over from calor a few years ago. It takes up less space, and the flame is hotter and cleaner.
Thinking about it, I can't say it's easier. And the bottles get very cold when using in winter. I'm not changing back, but your boss is right!

easy of use and dont have to lug a 5kg up about 15 flights of stairs as well :)

Yes, your boss is right, but the Surefire & it's wee bottle are more powerful (bit too much tbh) & therefore quicker for soldering - especially damp pipes, so save gas. Tend to be safer as no hoses to leak.
I do miss the handyness of the blow lamp on a hose & I had a squeeze flame control button, which was great. But nowadays mainly wee jobs just & I don't want to carry a heavy bottle into an attic just to solder one or two fittings.
Tell your boss he must be really old. (When you want fired)

I still have my old Sievert torch and bottle in the garage, only ever gets used when we're working on 42mm or above. I only pay £6-£7 maximum for a new 400g propane anyway !!!

My boss is an old school plumber. As a result we still use the big 3.9kg calor bottles for our blow torches.

He uses these bottles because he spends roughly £15 every 6 months getting it refilled, and once you have actually carried it into the house its a lot easier to work with as your just holding the blow torch rather then a blow torch and gas bottle. (That said the hose does get irritating!)

How come everyone else uses the 400g bottles? Doesn't it work out a lot more expensive? Iv never actually used one, my boss says hes happy to pay for the refill of the 3.9kg bottles, but if I want to be using the 400g bottles at £10 a pop I have to pay myself....... Sod that!

Ive only ever had the chance to use the big 5kg bottles in college once, and 400g always on site, i'd say its a lot safer to have a few small bottles of gas than a 5kg bottle in the back bouncing round, and the 400g take up less space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas bottles in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

About 10 months I started having issues with a gas like smell in my home and the gas board was unable to find any gas leak I've still got the issue. When I first made contacted enviromental health I was told the following Could be my drains and to have my drains checked. Could be the sewers...
Replies
Views
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm. This question is for my own house setup. We are really fortunate to have a large house, about 5,000sqft in total over 3 floors. It was built around...
Replies
Views
H
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm. This question is for my own house setup. We are really fortunate to have a large house, about 5,000sqft in total over 3 floors. It was built around...
Replies
Views
HRP123
H
Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical, carpentry it's been never ending. The house was built by Barratt Homes in the year 2000, it is a 3 bedroom house called a Palmerston, the CH/HW system is a Y...
Replies
Views
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/05/12/the-heat-pump-farce-has-finally-been-exposed/?li_source=LI&li_medium=liftigniter-rhr I realise not many have a sub to Telegraph (neither do I) but this is the article in full. As for the statement by BG, I haven't corroborated it but it seems an odd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock