Search the forum,

Discuss Gas boiler, room thermostat, timer and remote boost in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I am not a gas engineer or domestic electrician, but have electrical experience so should understand the answers.

Question does not relate to a specific installation (at this stage).

Scenario:
House used as Air B+B
Intend to install boiler and timer in a storage area where guests will not have access.
Timer will be set for specific hours
I want to give guests an option to boost heating when they are present.

If I understand correctly most modern gas combi systems are wired with live going to timer, then to thermostat,then to boiler (often the SL connection).

If I install a timer of the type typically used for an immersion heater (beside the thermostat) with timer output going to the thermostat input (same connection as coming from timer) I assume this remote boost will have same effect as the boost on the hidden timer?

If I am correct, any issues with doing this?

Q2 Assuming above works as I described does anyone have any suggestions for a very simple 2 wire wifi (smart) device or thermostat that would allow me to boost remotely from an app?

If I have misunderstood how the heating system works I am happy for this to be pointed out.

Thanks ColinK

Hi ColinK

You’d be better just installing a smart thermostat because you can program the times in electronically if they wish to turn the heating on (boost) they can do so.

Finally as you’re intending to get a new boiler installed you must have a weather compensation thermostat. However if you’re going for a smart thermostat that will also do the weather compensating for you.

Hope that helps.

Also most new boilers require the casing to be taken off to wire in the timer/stat. You will have to be gas safe registered to do this. You will not legally be able to do it yourself.

Thanks for all of the alternative suggestions and Gas Safe warning. regarding Gas Safe assume I will get a gas safe engineer to install the devices and wiring.

House will have wifi, I only want guests to have access to a thermostat and boost switch.

Still hoping for answers that directly answer my questions.

Reply to Gas boiler, room thermostat, timer and remote boost in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

B
Hi everyone, I have a Santon Premier Plus PP120E (unvented direct immersion heater) fitted with two thermostats, which provides hot water to taps and shower. The central heating runs from a separate system. On the PP120E: Bottom thermostat is set it to 4 out of 5 (approx. 60C), and connected...
Replies
Views
Bridog
B
D
Hi all, i moved recently in new home and realised that there is no room external thermostat wired to the Ideal Combi boiler. There is only mechanical timer on it. I saw some videos on Internet that mechanical timer can be replaced with electrical one but i am not sure if it is compatible with...
Replies
Views
Dobsuk
D
Hi, I have moved to house that has an Ideal Logic combi c24 with a Danfoss RX1-S receiver and a RET2000B - RF thermostat. However, the mechanical timer on the boiler is not working so I can't program the boiler to turn on and off at different times. Therefore, I bought a TP5001RF programable...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Hi I am somewhat confused. My daughter has a combi boiler bought 2-3 years ago and has it timed to come on in morning for an hour and at night for a few hours using "auto"? mode I had been brought up to leave boilers on manual and set the thermostat low at night to prevent pipes from...
Replies
Views
Hi folks, hoping someone can help with a problem that's been perplexing me since just before Christmas..... I have a wet underfloor heating system installed in 2003 and manufactured by Underfloor Direct in NI - Now out of business. It's one of their triple tube systems and hasn't given me much...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock