Search the forum,

Discuss Gas Boiler broken, please help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our boiler stopped working a few days ago so we got a few engineers out to price a new one , the first one said to upgrade to a Combi boiler as we have a system that’s about 23 years old and said it would be no bother to set it all up. The second guy we mentioned for pricing a combi just on the basis that it would be better than just getting a like for like system but he said the radiators would not handle it so it would not be possible without putting whole new system in ? Only reason I am now wary is my gran feels she was told something similar several years ago so I thought I should check with a forum.... I will attach a picture but does that sound right? If you need any more info just ask

rt0274.jpg

I would not put a combi on that system , it's a like for like swap or rip out and a new full install if funds allow . Kop

Yeah, would always recommend new rads and pipework on a system that old. However people do fit combis onto existing old systems.

Just done the same thing myself, but fitted the pipework and radiators myself. All the reading i did said its not ideal, from the system leaking due to the higher pressure but mostly that old system were designed around a much higher flow temperature, not to mention the lack of convectors.
Most of my rooms required radiators much larger to cope with a lower flow. I did all my calculations based an a flow of around 40-50c. The old boiler used to flow at 80c.

Our boiler stopped working a few days ago so we got a few engineers out to price a new one , the first one said to upgrade to a Combi boiler as we have a system that’s about 23 years old and said it would be no bother to set it all up. The second guy we mentioned for pricing a combi just on the basis that it would be better than just getting a like for like system but he said the radiators would not handle it so it would not be possible without putting whole new system in ? Only reason I am now wary is my gran feels she was told something similar several years ago so I thought I should check with a forum.. I will attach a picture but does that sound right? If you need any more info just ask

rt0274.jpg

I stopped heating work 5 years ago. But until then I fitted MANY conversions to combis. My contract placed the responsibility for bursts on the client. I had TWO problems, over 10 years apart. The first was a rad started squirting mid panel, while I was there and about to leave, the second was my very last heating job before going ion the books. Two rads gave up the ghost. So there is always a possibility, but if a rad pops, it is dodgy anyway, and my go sooner rather than later. The danger is massively overstated.
IMO.

Is a combi actually the right choice for you? How many bathrooms / people?

Our boiler stopped working a few days ago so we got a few engineers out to price a new one , the first one said to upgrade to a Combi boiler as we have a system that’s about 23 years old and said it would be no bother to set it all up. The second guy we mentioned for pricing a combi just on the basis that it would be better than just getting a like for like system but he said the radiators would not handle it so it would not be possible without putting whole new system in ? Only reason I am now wary is my gran feels she was told something similar several years ago so I thought I should check with a forum.. I will attach a picture but does that sound right? If you need any more info just ask

rt0274.jpg
I think you should deffo change to a combi and get whole system changed

Last edited by a moderator:
No need for combi. Cheaper and easier to fit like for like. Just add magnetite filter.

If he changes the boiler and gets a decent engineer to fit it. The boiler will have a decent warranty and no need for breakdown cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas Boiler broken, please help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock