Search the forum,

Discuss frozen split pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kellawaym

Hey everyone, I have to re plumb a chalet in the pyreneese at 1700 meters altitude, so freezing is a problem. The mains riser pipe enters from the cellar (not insulated) floor. Is there a shut off valve that I can fit that will allow me to drain down the system at the same point so there is no water left in the pipe? Would it be worth me fitting plastic pushfit plumbing, as I understand that it wont split as copper would and if so should I also lag it and what with?

Thanks
Kellawaym

best practice would be to do what the locals do ie install iaw their regs, all you mention is standard practice over here any way

Hmm!

Forgot where I read it, but there is a good article somewhere on the web about Plumbing in mountain chalets. Might be worth a Google.

Whilst plastic might not split the joints would pop. Something is likely to give. Same as alkathene pipe in UK in a hard winter I would think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to frozen split pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

[ASIDE: I did wonder if this was the best forum for this but figured as it was a boiler related issue that the gas engineers would be dealing with it as a matter of course. If I'm wrong can someone let me know and I'll shift it to a better place.] I have a condensing boiler installation...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise coming from my copper water pipes when no water is being used? It basically sounds like the noise you hear after the water shuts off when your toilet bowl...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a leak on the live side of one of my rads, in the GF loo. Its a condensing combi system, the house is only 5 years old, so fairly new. The leak is at the bottom compression fitting on the lockshield rad valve. The rad is a chromed steel towel rail, and the valve is brass/copper, the...
Replies
Views
Hi! Our main stopcock is weeping. I phoned the water company, first-person thought it was their problem as it was on the 'outside' of the water meter. Then another person called me to schedule a visit and they told me that its not their problem as both the water meter and the leaky stopcock are...
Replies
Views
I have two toilet water valves to install. I'm new to this but have watched enough videos to think I can do it. Both water valves are standard turn off sweat valves that have been soldered on. One has at least two inches of exposed copper pipe extending beyond the wall flange and the other has...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock