Search the forum,

Discuss Franke Olympus - valve replacement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mikeds

I'm trying to replace the ceramic valves in a Franke Olympus tap. I have removed the grub screw from the tap lever, but the lever wont budge, so I cant gain access to the valve. Any ideas?

Try WD-40. You might have trouble removing the shrouds too. Obtaining Franke spares is easy. Trying to get the old parts off can be a nightmare.

Thanks Paulplumb, I've got the replacement parts including shroud and lever and got the shroud undone with a strap wrench. I've tried to get some PlusGas into the right places, but still no luck getting the lever off. A bit stuck really! I'm thinking of sawing off the lever handle to get the shroud off and then hopefully access to the valve, unless anyone has better ideas. Its the only mains water tap in the house so treading very carefully.

If it is the monobloc Franke Olympus double handled mixer, then the handles are threaded and just screw out anti-clockwise if I remember right. Wrap some electrical tape around the handle a few turns, making it as lumpy as possible to give your hand good grip to turn it.
Once you remove the handle and shroud you might find the final part that is a cyinder shape that is pushed onto the splines very hard to remove. Tip with it is first check if it has a grub screw to slacken (some Olympus models will have it, some have none) and then put something like a large flat blade screwdriver behind it and tap the screwdriver with a hammer to push the part off. This will not do any harm to the mixer and that area is hidden anyhow

Last edited:
Thanks Best, but the handles on my tap are a single unit incorporating the spline. I think I have seen mentioned very similar handles that unscrew, but the ones I have do not.....so without being able to remove the handle from the spline I cant fully remove the shroud and get access to the valve unit.

Thanks Best, but the handles on my tap are a single unit incorporating the spline. I think I have seen mentioned very similar handles that unscrew, but the ones I have do not.....so without being able to remove the handle from the spline I cant fully remove the shroud and get access to the valve unit.

It had to go together in the factory, - so it has to be able to come apart.
Can you post a photo of the tap, or a link to exact model?
I would think the handles do screw out of the shaft that fits onto the cartridge. The shroud couldn't have been fitted otherwise

Last edited:
I think we are misunderstanding each other, I'll take some photos.

I'm new to this forum, but hopefully I've managed to attach some photos of the tap I'm trying to repair. I have new levers, shrouds and valves, so damaging the original items should not be a problem. I can undo the shroud, but just cant get the lever off, despite removing grub screw soaking with PlusGas etc. Hopefully the photos will provide clarity regarding the exact model of Franke Olympus tap.
IMG_4596.jpgIMG_4597.jpgIMG_4598.jpg

Okay I see now what you mean. Those levers do seem to be all one piece.
Your idea of cutting the lever part flush with rest of handle to remove shroud is one way to do it as you say you have replacement levers. But give it a final try by twisting and pulling the levers. The oil might have worked in.
You probably will find what I spoke about in previous post, - the levers will not pull off no matter what you do, but strangely will tap off using a big screwdriver and hammer, hitting behind the handle shaft. They seize badly for some reason, - I can only assume the 2 metals are reacting to each other. If you get the shrouds off, you will easily get at the back of handle. This photo is of a similar Olympus tap and you will probably have identical if shroud is off.
image.jpg
Use some Vaseline or silicone grease on the splines and threads when you fit the new handles and shrouds.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help Best, much appreciated. The screw in levers were a good idea, but I guess one part is cheaper than two, so that's progress. As you suggest I'll give it another dose of PlusGas and get the hammer out, and if that doesn't work, the saw will have to be next! Again many thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Franke Olympus - valve replacement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock