Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Discuss Foul smell downstairs when we flush upstairs in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. nisnooz

nisnooz New Member

Hello all, it's that time of the year again when plumbers can't seem to figure out the issue they were called in to check so I have to rely on the skills and experience of you lot!

First floor flat + loft conversion where a Saniflo was installed. The Saniflo piping goes from back right corner of room all the way around, coming out on the front left side into the pipe

There used to be a foul smell appearing without any activity on the first floor but it was occasional and it would be contained to the toilet area roughly speaking

About 6 weeks ago, the Saniflo upstairs was used for a #2 causing a flood of bad smell downstairs which wouldn't go away for about 2 hours. We stopped #2 upstairs yet since that time, simply flushing the Saniflo (i.e. no #1 or #2) floods the 1st floor (all rooms give or take) in a smell of poo.

The Saniflo engineer does not think it's his remit because the smell is not around the unit itself, or even on the same floor. He did recommend descaling the macerator every 3 months though.
    The plumbers (3 so far) can't figure it out and recommend a (expensive) process of elimination:
    -Adding trap to the washing machine: yet the smell appears when the Saniflo upstairs is flushed and is a relatively recent phenomenon, AND the washing maching is not even connected to the same waste pipe that the plumbers are suspecting of being the problem
    -Changing the piping connections to include a vent 1m over the converted room (check the last photo, one plumber asked for £1,200 to remove that cap and do the piping properly)

Any solutions you propose? I can't logically understand how we flush upstairs and downstairs gets the bad smell..

Thanks
    Nisnooz 20170104_113436.jpg 20170104_113443.jpg 20170104_113457_HDR.jpg 20170104_113529.jpg

2. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Is the Sanipro close coupled to the toilet pan spigot or is there a length of pipe between the two? If so how long is the pipe?

3. rpm

Just realised the smell is on the floor below not the floor when the sani is so it has to be with the piping.

4. nisnooz

nisnooz New Member

Right... only which piping? did any of the pictures offer insight?

5. rpm

Picture 2, the White pipe painted Black going to the hopper, what /where is that from?

Picture 3 being from the sani?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  6. nisnooz

nisnooz New Member

Picture 2, the White pipe painted Black going to the hopper is the washing machine pipe

7. rpm

Sorry I edited and asked another Q.

8. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Picture 4 , it looks like an air admittance valve, I cant realy tell by the pic , has it always been there ?

9. nisnooz

nisnooz New Member

absoluetly, pic 3 with the grey pipe coming into the capped waste pipe is from the Saniflo

10. rpm

If it is and the White pipe is from the sani, could a faulty valve cause the issue?

(slight overlap with OP)

11. nisnooz

nisnooz New Member

yes, it has been. this air admittance valve has been deemed the black sheep of the situation by the plumbers who came over but it's been there for 3 years... of course, not to say it couldn't have gone faulty... that's why I'm asking for your help on this forum

12. townfanjon

The idea for the valve is to let air in but keep the smell in the pipe . They are designed for inside ( unless sombody knows different ) roof spaces etc etc .
    Take it off , I bet it sorts it

13. rpm

Was thinking inside use but didn`t have the confidence in saying so.

• Like Like x 1
  14. nisnooz

nisnooz New Member

take it off as in keep the waste pipe completely exposed at the top?

also, I just realised, all 3 plumbers told me this was not an air cap and I received £ quotes to "Install the air valve ot the top of the waist pipe outside" - does this mean they don't consider this an air admittance valve?

15. townfanjon

Like I said , somebody may no different, but AAV's go inside or they do in Yorkshire lol .