Search the forum,

Discuss Fog Horn noise when using Hot Water - Pressure Reducing Valve recently replaced in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few months back the expansion vessel from the mains water supply failed and I had the vessel and the pressure reducing valve replaced. As part of the replacement the expansion vessel was fitted with a copper tube instead of the flexible hose that was originally used.

Since the work was done we are getting a fairly loud "fog horn" noise, this only occurs when we use hot water and only after we haven't used the hot water for a period of a few hours, i.e. if it happens once in the morning it won't happen until later in the evening.

I've contacted the engineer that fitted the work and I'm hoping he can come round sometime soon to fix the problem, but is there anything that I can to that might reduce the noise. I live in a small block of flats and although no one has mentioned anything I'm fairly sure the early morning "Fog horn" noise when I jump in the shower is annoying some people.

I thought reducing the stop-cock might help but it seems to have no effect.
I'm hoping it would be fairly easy to fix, either air in the pipes somewhere or a minor adjustment on the pressure reducing valve, I'm assuming worst case the vessel or valve might have failed and needs replacing again.

What type of hot water system do you have?
Is it fed from a tank or is it mains fed, (unvented)?

I'm fairly confident its an unvented hot water system, the water tank has "unvented storage cylinder" on it and as far as I'm aware there isn't any cold water storage in the block of flats its fed straight from the mains.

It could be one of a few things but you need a G3 compliant engineer to sort this for you, it's not a DIY job i'm afraid.
Turning the stop tap down will not make any difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fog Horn noise when using Hot Water - Pressure Reducing Valve recently replaced in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock