Search the forum,

Discuss flushing out a system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a WB 440CDi fitted 2 years ago, it was serviced again last May and a service due now. We took the hall radiator off last week to have the wall plastered, I isolated it by turning off the TRV & lockshield valve. When I drained it a lot of black water came out which I guess had been sitting in the bottom. I thought the plumbers had power flushed the complete system when the boiler was fitted but I'm wondering now. Does it sound right to have such dirty water in there after 2 years? The boiler has got a Magnaclean filter alongside so surely that would stop any new build up?

The rad is still off, I flushed through with a hose yesterday while outside on the lawn. There are other downstairs rads so I'm wondering about them now.

I'm just thinking what to do for the best when the plumbers come to carry out the service as I want to be sure that they do things correctly?

A correct and thorough powerflush will clear a massive amount of the sludge in the system. It's very rare to remove every last bit and even with a good inhibitor it will still build up over time. Your magnet will collect the massive majority of the rubbish before it reaches your boiler so keep getting it serviced and make sure they clean the magnet each time. They can carry out a test on the levels of particles in your heating system when they service the boiler if they have the right monitors. There are a few checks and options open to you but speak to them as a pair of eyes on the job is worth 100 of us on here blindly giving our 2 pence worth!

Couple of Q`s .............
How many radiators over how many floors?
Do you know how long the powerflush took?

I'd also have some Questions,

Did they use a power flush machine or just flushed via magnacleanse?
What chemicals did they use?
Did leave your system with an inhibitor at all?
What type of radiators do you have?
Did you upgrade some of the old radiators when installing a new boiler?

I'd also have some Questions,

Did they use a power flush machine or just flushed via magnacleanse?
Did you upgrade some of the old radiators when installing a new boiler?

Really doubt the OP will know the answer to #2 , what has the type of radiators got to do with it Ron and the same with changing radiators.

Couple of Q`s ..
How many radiators over how many floors?
Do you know how long the powerflush took?

10 rads and 2 towel rads on two floors, I don't recall how long the flushing took as it was combined with removing the old boiler and fitting the new one.

"Did they use a power flush machine or just flushed via magnacleanse?
Did you upgrade some of the old radiators when installing a new boiler?"

Not sure re the flushing method or chemical.
Fernox inhibitor
Stelrad Softline rads.
No rads were upgraded.

• Useful
Reactions: rpm
I would say they didn't flush then

OP may not of been there at the time

If it's dirty water only after two years since flush unlikely unless they didn't put inhb into the system which is the same as not flushing it

If it's dirty water only after two years since flush unlikely unless they didn't put inhb into the system which is the same as not flushing it
Not putting the inhibitor in isn`t the same as not flushing but could give Black water now yes. But nobody has asked about any other works being carried out or having to continuously top the water up during the two years have they.

ok, I'll ask them to flush everything through properly this time.
A powerflush is not part of a regular service visit and takes time so best you call them and tell them what you now need to be done before they turn up.

I fitted a full new system around 3 yrs ago without a magnetic filter as the customer didn't want to pay extra
Mains flushed, hot flushed with F3 when finished and filled with F1
2 yrs later
the water was like ink and the boiler failed (can't remember what)
Vaillant fixed it and advised a flush to keep cover, this I did and 4 months ago the main HE failed
Vaillant repaired again, but stated it needed a filter to stay covered
It's on my todo list, but this system went black in less than 2 yrs and was brand new when installed
No leaks, so not topped up regularly
What do you reckon

I fitted a full new system around 3 yrs ago without a magnetic filter as the customer didn't want to pay extra
Mains flushed, hot flushed with F3 when finished and filled with F1
2 yrs later
the water was like ink and the boiler failed (can't remember what)
Vaillant fixed it and advised a flush to keep cover, this I did and 4 months ago the main HE failed
Vaillant repaired again, but stated it needed a filter to stay covered
It's on my todo list, but this system went black in less than 2 yrs and was brand new when installed
No leaks, so not topped up regularly
What do you reckon

Airs getting in or not enough inhb

Will turn rads into posh cheese in no time

Also if it's a brand new system rads Pipework etc, did you flush the rads out first as you would be surprised how much muck is in cheaper end rads

Take a sample of heating water and send it off to adey to see what's in it

Not putting the inhibitor in isn`t the same as not flushing but could give Black water now yes. But nobody has asked about any other works being carried out or having to continuously top the water up during the two years have they.

The only other work done at the time was fitting the new boiler and filter etc, this is why they said the system needed to be flushed. We have only had to top up the water pressure occasionally.

The only other work done at the time was fitting the new boiler and filter etc, this is why they said the system needed to be flushed. We have only had to top up the water pressure occasionally.

2-4 times in the 2 years ish ?

That's not bad tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to flushing out a system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock