Discuss Flueless Gas Fires in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sinbad

Hoping this is the correct forum for the following question:

With the UK approaching a heat wave, I am thinking about getting a gas fire installed!

Having been surveyed by a local Gas Safe Register rep, the only gas fire available to us is a flueless one (due to where we want it located in the house and the locations of various windows and doors).

I understand the need for a 100cm2 fresh air vent and the whys and wherefores of "burnt gases are passed through a catalytic converter". The fire in question "has an oxygen depletion sensor which constantly monitors the air quality in the room. If the level of oxygen drops by just 1.5%, the fire automatically shuts down".

Looking for opinions here - should I go ahead and get a flueless fire installed or avoid them like the plague.

Thanks

personally i wouldnt have one in my house cant give any technical reasoning other than
my motto if it can go wrong it will

i think they look nice but debateable about benifit and the vent wont be particularly attractive but nevertheless they can be quite appealing and no more dangerous than any gas appliance as as soon as oxygen level drops the fire will not work i would as a precaution hava a co detector as well

i have put them in but found them to be more decorative, than for actual space heaters. I heard that british gas wont install them. To be honest if thats your only option, id go for an electric one as they do make quite smart looking ones now

I had a flueless fire in my last house and found it to be v good. It was an Esse fire. the co monitor advice is is good advice but as long as you get it serviced regular you shouldnt have a problem

I had a flueless fire in my last house and found it to be v good. It was an Esse fire. the co monitor advice is is good advice but as long as you get it serviced regular you shouldnt have a problem

thats why i wouldnt fit one i dont think ive had more than a dozen calls to service a gas fire in 20 years other than those attached to back boilers and for landlords certs .For some reason people just ignore the gas fire

Hmm

Many fires have ODS on them, they seemed to come out sometime in the early 90's.

All they are, is a pilot like flame whose oxygen supply is accurately measured and so if the oxygen falls below a certain level, the flame goes out and closes the gas valve. Very simple idea.

Problems: Holes in ODS are small and easily block up making fire go out.

Balanced Flue fires seem to soot up easily if not regularly maintained and serviced.

Thanks all for the replies which appear to be split on opinion; which to be fair is what I was expecting.

Current thinking is to go for an electric fire....

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flueless Gas Fires in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Back