Search the forum,

Discuss Flueless fire in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Darkcloud

Hello, I put a flueless fire in for a woman and she rang me back saying
she wanted it out because of the vent I'd put in was making the room
cold. Instructions ask for a minimum of 100 cm2 direct to outside but
it's aparrentley a real issue for her.
Is there any issues with putting a vent in a chimney? It's an old
building with two chimneys in a through lounge, both bricked up, pity
she hadn't bought an o/f fire. I've gone through Treloars book but can't
find anything specific.

thanks

Don't mess with flueless fires. Death trap and an accident waiting to happen

IMO take it out and put electric back in

Hello, I put a flueless fire in for a woman and she rang me back saying
she wanted it out because of the vent I'd put in was making the room
cold. Instructions ask for a minimum of 100 cm2 direct to outside but
it's aparrentley a real issue for her.
Is there any issues with putting a vent in a chimney? It's an old
building with two chimneys in a through lounge, both bricked up, pity
she hadn't bought an o/f fire. I've gone through Treloars book but can't
find anything specific.

thanks
no ...but what does the mi say for your flueless,vent direct to out side air ,a chimney not direct,

how can you say 'direct from outside' then suggest taking it from a chimney?.

did you put the vent at high or low level?.

you cannot vent fluless fire via chimney, read the mi's and vent must be in specific place. also size of room is important. flueless fires are extremely safe when installed correctly

wondering why anyone would say they are deathtraps ? more deaths by open flued than flueless, would suggest that co detector is installed, more so with open flued apps

how can you say 'direct from outside' then suggest taking it from a chimney?.

did you put the vent at high or low level?.

The ventilation at the moment is direct to outside at low level, isn't a chimney direct to outside?

a chimney is designed to draw air up it, a vent is there to allow air into the room

a chimney is designed to draw air up it, a vent is there to allow air into the room
Hmmm, I thought that and was reading about difference in air pressures yet I can recall quite a few celler plant rooms
where the air was ducted in from above. I've decided to go with electric anyway but was curious to see if anyone had a
definitive answer.

direct to outside is through the wall or floorspace and sleaved.
through a chimney is through a chimney not outside.

i could stand to be corrected as i do not have fire ticket?.

does the mi's state high or low vent as there is warmer air at higher level and not around the ankles especially if an elderly woman?.

Have you tried changing the vent to a black hole vent ?? There will still be a small amount of air felt but these are far better at keeping the draughts out.

I have a similar issue at the moment with a couple who have had a flueless fit in place of a Fanned flue, they didn't realise a vent would be needed and it's a real issue because the fella suffers from diabetes and the vent blows onto his feet under the settee !!

It wasn't me who fit the fire but they want me to redress the situation so cheapest option, i went for the black hole vent and they've not been in touch for a few weeks now.

Hmmm, I thought that and was reading about difference in air pressures yet I can recall quite a few celler plant rooms
where the air was ducted in from above. I've decided to go with electric anyway but was curious to see if anyone had a
definitive answer.
its fine when you are supplying air to a open flued boiler as the draw of the appliance will pull the air down. vents at high level will pull air out due to convection.....flueless fires require vent at low level and should not be too close to the app. to prevent fresh air going to the asd and preventing it working correctly imo. a death occured when installer did not check working pressure and gas rate. fire was overgassed, causing sooting up of the catalyser and produced masses of co, vent was next to the appliance and fresh air blowing over asd prevented fire shutting off,
try a blackhole vent as goz666 has suggested

Just to add, personally I wouldn't have a fluelass gas fire unless I had a good quality CO detector. I always recommend to the customer and make sure I write on the paperwork when commissioned that CO detector is recommended.

Agree with above , I would not and never would install a flueless gas fire and i cannot see why they are not banned as everything has a shelf life

The problem with this sort of appliance is that people will neglect to have it serviced regularly.

I've installed two and ripped out the same two after a few months. Customers went against my advice, they are there for secondary heating only and require the 100cm2 vent. I said to one that they would have issues with draughts but they went ahead anyway because they looked "cool".. wasn't the only thing cool in that living room that night.

wondering why anyone would say they are deathtraps ? more deaths by open flued than flueless, would suggest that co detector is installed, more so with open flued apps
steve yes?
2 points 1,yes flueless fires can be death traps,we had a fatality here in wales through one coming over set and the installer not doing a timetest,2 years ago i fitted 8 flavels and two burleys 8 come from the factory RADICALLY overset i had to ID my new fits and get service visits
point 2
i see you are saying a black hole vent is suitable,just for clarification a vario 100 cm2 with baffles removed is suitable but the square black hole vortex is not it was down graded to 80 cm2 5 years ago unless your talking of the newer black hole that does provide 100cm2 but does not stop any draft

steve yes?
2 points 1,yes flueless fires can be death traps,we had a fatality here in wales through one coming over set and the installer not doing a timetest,2 years ago i fitted 8 flavels and two burleys 8 come from the factory RADICALLY overset i had to ID my new fits and get service visits
point 2
i see you are saying a black hole vent is suitable,just for clarification a vario 100 cm2 with baffles removed is suitable but the square black hole vortex is not it was down graded to 80 cm2 5 years ago unless your talking of the newer black hole that does provide 100cm2 but does not stop any draft
quoted other post regards blackhole and draught dont know personaly what size they are. i do recall fatality, do not fit flueless because of vent requirements, and too many fatalities throuh open flued apps. hse say there are 30 or so fatalities from the use of open flued apps each year

Last edited:
No, because birds can block chimney

Also densitys of air.

Effectively if you were to use a high level vent such as a chimney. It could work the wrong way and cause negative pressure on the room

I fitted one about 6 moths ago for a landlord in his own house , I done a job for him , went in his house to pick up money and spotted he had took of vent cover and put a rolled up towel to stop cold wind , and carried on using fire ,,i took it out , told him off .

Hi guys, 2 things on this,
1. if I block vent and never use fire is there any danger to me or family? even though I have back boiler?
2. is there a vent i can get that slows down the draught a little?

I fitted one about 6 moths ago for a landlord in his own house , I done a job for him , went in his house to pick up money and spotted he had took of vent cover and put a rolled up towel to stop cold wind , and carried on using fire ,,i took it out , told him off .
more likely to kill himself if open flued imho

Hi guys, 2 things on this,
1. if I block vent and never use fire is there any danger to me or family? even though I have back boiler?
2. is there a vent i can get that slows down the draught a little?
do not block the vent !! its for the boiler

The requirement is clear 100 cm2 to outside. If customer not happy better to take it out. i don't like flueless fire, people want them they think it looks cool, but when the cracks happen on the plaster it doesn't look cool. They don't like air vent but it is a must, they don't service it, after while glass goes mate,,..etc.

gas engineer did a service and turned round and said there is anti draught vents out now.

a chimney is not direct to outside no it is their to carry the products of combustion that's all

gas engineer did a service and turned round and said there is anti draught vents out now.

Home
Products
Literature
Technical support
Company
Contact
News
CPD
Marketing
home » products » underfloor & through wall ventilation » wall anti-draught ventilators
Aero wall anti-draught ventilators
Combination ventilator sets for background venting and heat producing appliances
Use
To provide ventilation for heat producing appliances
To provide background room ventilation
Individual ventilation sets can supply up to maximum appliance rated input of 29kW (99,000 Btu/h)
For new build, refurbishment and remedial work
Features & benefits
Aesthetically pleasing and a simple to install modular system
Excellent airflow properties
Independently tested by BRE
Offers reduction of draughts and light compared to basic through wall ventilation
Cowl or air brick version available
Internal baffle with aerodynamic design improves airflow
Internal finish with open louvre grille (options with Hit & Miss available to special*request, but not suitable for*heat producing appliances.)*
Quality
Equivalent area tested to BS EN13141-1:2004
Compliant with BS 5440-2:2000, BS 5871-3:2005 & BS 493:1995
Complies with Building Regulation 2000 Approved Documents F (2004 edition) & J (2002 edition)
Complies with ‘The Scottish Building Standards’ Technical handbooks
Manufactured to BS EN ISO 9001:2008
Meets the requirements of British Gas
Satisfies NHBC Standards 2008
Material & colour choice
Manufactured by injection moulding in HIPS/Polypropylene
External brick/cowls in buff, brown, terracotta & white
Internal grilles are white as standard
Products in this system
9” x 6” Aero wall vent with cowl - ADV96C*
Provides an equivalent area of 10800mm2 and each unit is suitable for venting appliances up to 28.7kW (98,000Btu) rated input.
9” x 6” Aero wall vent with air brick - ADV96AB*
Provides an equivalent area of 10000mm2 and each unit is suitable for venting appliances up to 27kW (92,000Btu) rated input.
9” x 3” Aero wall vent with air brick - ADV93AB*
Provides an equivalent area of 5500mm2 and each unit is suitable for venting appliances up to 18kW (61,500Btu) rated input.
9” x 3” Aero vent with air brick/cowl- ADV93C*
Provides an equivalent area of 5100mm2 and each unit is suitable for venting appliances up to 17kW (58,700Btu) rated input.
Enlarge Image

Links
Product Information
Installation
How to order
Product codes
Downloads
Data sheet
B of Q Clause for Anti-draught vent
Technical Information & Installation advice
Timloc strongly recommend that reference is made to the relevant technical information section before the products are specified, purchased or installed.
Cavity trays
Cavity closers fire & acoustic stops
Gas Barriers & Damp Proofing
Loft access doors
Access panels
Roof ventilation
Underfloor & through wall ventilation
Air brick
Telescopic underfloor ventilator
Underfloor ventilation accessories
Cavity sleeves
Compartment, wall vent grilles & airbrick cowls