Search the forum,

Discuss flue too close to window in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennie

Gas Engineer
Hi all,

I'm about to quote on a boiler install for a customer.

The current flue (from pre-existing combi) is only 180mm above the openable window. The distance should be 300mm. The new flue hole can't be re-drilled any higher.

I've warned the customer it may be they have to permanently seal the window shut (and that promising to not open it won't satisfy the gas regs). Apparently other engineers either haven't commented on it, or just said not to open the window.

They're looking at having either a Worcester or Vaillant installed, so I might just ring the manufacturers to see if it may be allowable under the circumstances. But if the answer is no, I risk losing out on the job to an engineer who will overlook the issue. But on the other hand, I'm not about to break the regs.

Some words of experience would be useful.

Thanks everyone,

Jennie

If you can fit a plume kit 150mm to any opening then

Show the customer the regs!!!.

Let them decide whether or not they want a safe installation.

Saying that, if they decided to have something installed against the regs, I wouldn't do it, because if something went wrong they would deny you ever told them and you would be held responsible.

Depending on the type of people they are, they may use their new found knowledge of the regs to their 'advantage' when it comes time for payment of the installation to who ever does it.

pretty sure vaillant with plume kit can be 150 mm you would have to check with manufacturers as not certain about any others

pretty sure vaillant with plume kit can be 150 mm you would have to check with manufacturers as not certain about any others

Worcesters are the same

Plume kits not always suitable are they owing to the termination position and the sofat / facia position.
i had a case recently where my customers original flue terminated over a neigbours boundary, i pointed this out to him and said he may have to consider re-positioning the replacement boiler but went past the other day and someone else has fitted a new boiler in original position which is in contravention of BS.
not happy but when things go wrong it will be the engineer who will regret his decision as the customer just went for an option that saved him money and i am sure will deny all knowledge of any issue over flue position.

Without checking on actual dimensions allowed - you cant get away with screwing the window shut. Have you not read of the infamous hotel death and subsequent prosecution of the original installer who did just that?

You can't screw window shut but can get window changed to non opening. Some manufacturers allow 150 from structure opening with plume kit, check with instructions. 150 is Mon to comply with building regs regards strength of wall.
Tell the customer if it's fitted and does not comply it will get turned off if manufacturer or service engineer calls.

Check with the MI's, certain Vaillant boilers can be installed 150mm from an opening into the building, providing you use the VTK fitting supplied by the manufacturer.

If it comes up for an inspection and you haven't complied with the regs you will be sent back to the job to install it correctly!

All talking about plume kits ! is there a reason why you cant go vertical or is boiler on ground floor ??

Hello All,

With regard to having a non opening window installed to get over the problem of a Boiler Flue not being the correct distance away from the window:

This was suggested on a job that I was working next door to and I was asked about it.

I told the Homeowner and the Heating Engineer that it would be a breach of the Regulations / Manufacturers Instructions because `The Opening into the building` refers to the Brickwork opening for a Window / Door - not the actual Window / Door opening.

I explained that the Regulations took into consideration that a future Homeowner might well have a new Window installed that does open without even a thought as to why the non opening one was fitted - causing an `Unsafe situation` without knowing it.

They checked with Gas Safe and the Boiler Manufacturers and found out that what I explained was correct.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to flue too close to window in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock