Search the forum,

Discuss Flue dripping from exhaust and from air intake. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite clearly tampered

Reopened on basis of pm.

Yashimaki said:
Hi croppie.
I've just got in to find you've closed the thread.
It seems the flue being "tampered with" has beeen put down to me, This is not true. In fact it was the neighbours efforts to deal with the complaint.
The neighbours originally had it pointing at right angles to the wall dischsarging over mide garden. I complained. They then pointed it at 45 degrees away from the window but still discharging over my garden. I complained. They then pointed it over their property. I complained agasin as it still came in the window. Since then have moved it at least once probably because of their roof opening. I would appreciate if you would open the thread again so that people can know the truth.

This is going to be one of the few times!

I am struggling to understand why there appears to be a reluctance to getting a gas safe engineer in on this. Nobody should be touching that flue whether it's you or the owners. I appreciate from reading the rest of the thread that you've done a lot of homework but a gas safe engineer would be able to tell you A. specifically If there is any risk, B if there is any installation fault and C what potential costs would be involved to sort the situation. There have been a couple of suggestions made as to how this situation can be remedied however this still really need to be carried out by a gas safe engineer. We just appear to be going round and round in circles here. I maintain my three options from earlier as this would appear to be your landlords problem as he agreed to it he can't just ignore the problem

Last edited:
So the owner moved it....

One minute "its trespass" "needs my permission"

Seems the OP allows access after all.

Thanks for that Croppie.
Newcastle Phill, I never gave permission to trespass. They just do it from their extension roof. Definately unauthorised trespass by interfering with something on my property even if they do own it, but in the order of universe a mini trespass doesn't bother me as long as they don't point it at my property again. I know it can only be interfered with by a GSR engineer and wonder would an engineer take such a risk rather than ask my permission and do it from mine sensibly from a ladder?
I have called the council and their building inspector paid them a visit. The Inspector first of all said it's legally positioned and complies with regs. I was given a copy of the Building Regs Compliance Cert which says it meets Gas and Building regs. He then backed down after I sent a pic with the flue facing the open rooflights (as posted above). He then agreed it breaches doc j due to roof openings. He says they can alter the openings to make them non opening but I have no way of checking that. Since then they have turned the flue away from directly facing the openings as can be seen in later pics. The Inspector has stopped replying after I said it breaches doc j distance from boundary & he and has not got back to me re the leaks.
I was wondering how condensate gets into the air intake as it seems to me it is leaking from the exhaust pipe into the air duct. Maybe they dislodged something with their periscope turning antics. (Nice analogy newcastle phill. Made me laugh).
Incidentally the flue is not at 90 degrees to the wall it is tilted towards the wall which looks like it is putting pressure on an internal joint and possibly that's why it leaks from the air duct.
Thanks Riley and others for your posts I really do appreciate them all (the good the bad and the ugly ;) They are all honest and straight talking which is breath of fresh air.

WP_20160113_12_10_35_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
Best part is directly below you there is another flue which would be exiting in the same direction the way the 'problematic' flue was angled.

So

A question...

Whose flue is the other one ?
And have you complained about that too ?

Frankly the more you go on and the more images you add shows you in a worse light than previously imho

Is that here and I don't mean to be derogatory but is this a wind up. The pictures are just showing a catalogue of oddities with all the boiler installs at the property ???

Can I once again suggest that you get an independent gas safe registered engineer to take a look

The other flue serves my property and I have full control when it comes on and off. It used to disperse fairly well as it is pointed away from the rear wall and was well below the previous party wall height. Since the neighbours extension was built my flue is boxed in and has become problematic. You can see the frame which used to support the canopy over the kitchen door in one of the pictures I posted. The canopy was removed by me to try and help air flow but it didn't help and so my gas boiler is never used. Electric room heaters and electric immersion heater keep the water hot and the house warm. If you doubt this I've upload a screenshot of my suppliers energy efficency comparison for my home. My last gas bill I had was 371 kwh (from 15 sep to 1 dec). This is for a 3 bedroom terraced house so you can see how little gas is used (98% less than similar efficient homes). And yes I have complained about my flue but it is apparently within the legal requirements so I have to live with it. Whereas the neighbours flue makes a bad situation even worse because I can't open my bedroom window. It might sound off to you why I put up with it, but I've lived here too long. The apple tree in my garden (in a previous pic its in blossoms) was planted as a sapling by my previous wife before she passed away as a living memory of her.Now it's a proper tree and I can't take it with me so here I stay.
I had problems with the Council Building Inspector as previously stated and that didn't come out as well as it should have had I been a bit more savvy. Getting a GSR engineer to inspect the flue is obviously on the agenda but it is always a good idea to get the people who know their stuff to give their advice before doing so. That is what I am doing here. Thanks again for all who have taken the time and trouble to comment as it really does add some perspective.
WP_20160113_15_02_27_Pro.jpg

I'm really sorry but this is just sounding more and more crazy nobody is going to be granted planning permission to build an extension if it is going to make their neighbours boiler redundant or at least as part of the planning permission process this would've been discussed between the owners. if it was your landlord he can't just agree for them to build an extension making your flue unsafe. Properdue diligence would have been carried out ensuring that your flue terminates safely, functionally and correctly. Unless of course there extension is illegal I am sorry to sound suspicious but something just doesn't add up

Hi Riley, thanks for your comment. If the information I have provided makes you think my flue doesn't satisfy regulations because of the extension please let me know because that could make a big difference.

Riley, tread carefully my friend, like you and others have said Something doesn`t stack up here.

Thanks Harry, the flue has been there for along time now so it's past the stage of urgency but I will take your advice and I will get an indepedent GAS Safe engineer. They almost certainly will not get access to the internal installation so will probably have to inspect only what you can see in the pics posted. Please could you give me something specific I can bring to the attention of the engineer. In a previous comment I explained my experience with Building Inspectors and don't want to risk missing anything. Cheers mate.

The whole scenario just sounds ridiculous to me. All I can tell you is that the manufacturers instructions well set out exactly how you're boiler will work giving worst case scenario clearances. If your boiler is within these guide lines then the boiler will work if it doesn't then it's something the manufacturer needs to take a look at. All the same this isn't for you to sort out get a gas safe engineer out

Thanks Harry, the flue has been there for along time now so it's past the stage of urgency but I will take your advice and I will get an indepedent GAS Safe engineer. They almost certainly will not get access to the internal installation so will probably have to inspect only what you can see in the pics posted. Please could you give me something specific I can bring to the attention of the engineer. In a previous comment I explained my experience with Building Inspectors and don't want to risk missing anything. Cheers mate.

I'm sorry to say mate you are not going to get anybody committing to something on here to use as your evidence as we are working purely based on photos provided by you and we cannot give an objective opinion based on this. I am sure you can appreciate that these photos are not indicative of the whole install and that other underlying issues that you have missed off exist. One of our guys off here may be happy to come out and check it out? Where are you

Hi Riley Gas installations do not need planning permission and there is no requirement to discuss what you intend to do with neighbours before starting to build.

Hi Riley fair comment. No one in their right mind would ever consider using advice from an internet forum as evidence. Anyone trying to do that would have a pickle for a brain. I only wanted information and nothing else. The only thing that matters are hard facts. If there were any obvious breaches of regs or dangerous faults from the pictures I would have appreciated them being pointed out. I can give you my contact details in a PM if you want so can you recommend someone local to me or tell me how I find a good engineer?

Hi Riley Gas installations do not need planning permission and there is no requirement to discuss what you intend to do with neighbours before starting to build.
Post here

[DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL]

My point was not planning for the gas install.

But rather when they built their extension your install should have been taken into account.

This is the issue when flues cross boundaries etc this is why I find what's gone on hardto comprehend

Thanks Riley. I am sorry if I came accross as a bit iffy but this has been going on for some time and my problem certainly seems to be an odd one so fully appreciate all concerns expressed. Your response to the pic of my flue got me thinking and having taken another look at doc J, it says min distance to a terminal facing a terminal is 1200mm so if my flue counts as facing the neighbours terminal then they clearly can't put their flue where it is with or without permission. I never considered that before but you certainly got me thinking so cheers for that.
Believe it or not I have got a life apart from this so it sort of crept up to this stage.
Anyway I do thank you sincerely for the proverbial boot up the jacksy as it got me to put me thinking hat on.

Individual boilers have their own installation specs. This is where a good engineer could be invaluable

It might sound off to you why I put up with it, but I've lived here too long. The apple tree in my garden (in a previous pic its in blossoms) was planted as a sapling by my previous wife before she passed away as a living memory of her.Now it's a proper tree and I can't take it with me so here I stay.

Funny how there is always a "Tug of the heart strings" in these long winded threads, usually around post 30-40.

The op wants to think himself lucky they didnt fit a vertical flue.
Im sure he'd be complaining about that even more ??

I hope the landlord never landscapes the garden..

Last edited by a moderator:
Thas why they've used a higher plume kit than you have so that it's not within 1200mm of your flue. Don't you have another bedroom that you could move into and use your current one as a guest room, problem solved. You don't breath in any fumes and you can start using your boiler again too which would reduce your bills. Another suggestion would be to get a gas registered engineer to come and have a look and double check the installations I. E. Flue terminations although I think someone may have suggested this already. Whilst they were ther they could measure the fumes in your bedroom with their flue gas analyser.

Which town/county are you in, maybe one of us will be local to you.

Funny how there is always a "Tug of the heart strings" in these long winded threads, usually around post 30-40.

Oooh you old cynic, you! That line had me blubbing all over my copy of GIUSP 7 and you had to go and ruin it! Have you NO romance in your soul????

Hi finchy. I thought the 1200mm applied to the actual installation and could not be fixed with a kit. The engineer inspection is already in the pipeline so hopefully they will know the score on that one. They can also advise on what can be done to get my flue to function properly.
Moving house or room is not an option.
To measure the fumes is totally impractical. They would need to be there when the flue is operating and the window was open and the prevailing weather conditions caused the fumes to come into the bedroom. The only practical evidence apart from anecdotal would be video or photographic plus a degree of common sense I guess. Maybe an outdoor alarm near the flue would be an option.
I don't know if you can help on this one. I would like to know if this flue could be subject to a mandatory Landlords annual safety check as my one is as there is no way of knowing if the flue is operating within specifications? It would also deal with any future malfunctions such as dripping condensate etc.

0304driver. The extension built next to it is about 1.5m higher than the previous party wall and the fumes do not disperse.

I am sorry but your flue still meets the regs and I also think there is a lot more to this, your flue would still meet the rules if the party wall was full house height.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flue dripping from exhaust and from air intake. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock