Search the forum,

Discuss Flow restriction from magnaclean/tf1 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A cheap skate like me just buys a tub of inhibitor and pours using a funnel ,cheaper than the inhibitor with the squeezable bottle .
If water was forced down , would it not disturb the non magnetic debris and push it back into the system ?
No no I don't buy expensive squeezable inhibitor, I have a Fernox f1 cap off a standard bottle, drilled with a nipple and a meter of clear flexi tube, drop into where you want and gravity does the rest, with gentle squeeze, the cap is then saved for the next full bottle.....
how would it disturb the non magnetic debris? As it would have been cleaned and emptied before adding inhibitor, and anyhow the valves would be turned off also!

I was refering to , when the filter is working . The water would go down and with the non magnetic debris dispurse and go back into the system , I dont see anything that stops the non magnetic from going back into the system.
You commented earlier about the mb2 , similar principle.

Last edited:
I was refering to , when the filter is working . The water would go down and with the non magnetic debris dispurse and go back into the system , I dont see anything that stops the non magnetic from going back into the system.
You commented earlier about the mb2 , similar principle.
comment was regards MB3 magnetic debris not non magnetic, have another read

i assume it works on the laws of physics.... Creates a low pressure zone due to internal chamber design no doubt with patent... The non magnetic debris drop to the bottom and stay there as they are spun out, just like a vortex in a fishpond filter but more engineered I assume?

I've fitted magnacleans since they first came out and have tried other similar products over the years. I am still unconvinced of the effectiveness of the magnabooster favoured by British gas but the quality of some of the fittings on the MCs is so poor IMHO the street elbows used are too hard/thick for the olives to seal to I know now I always have to tape them also the plastic thread the valves fit to are prone to threading. These issues aside I find they are definitely the most effective and it's what I have in my house. I can get a full bottle of F1 in it as well without a mess which is a bonus

What stops your 4 mm holes blocking up in the separator chambers, do you have a bypass? I understand if you don't want to say

I've fitted magnacleans since they first came out and have tried other similar products over the years. I am still unconvinced of the effectiveness of the magnabooster favoured by British gas but the quality of some of the fittings on the MCs is so poor IMHO the street elbows used are too hard/thick for the olives to seal to I know now I always have to tape them also the plastic thread the valves fit to are prone to threading. These issues aside I find they are definitely the most effective and it's what I have in my house. I can get a full bottle of F1 in it as well without a mess which is a bonus
I agree.... Will See how the SE 's cope, street elbows are shocking on manga cleans, had loads of lids and valves sent from MC ask for Jo if you need any.....still costs us time and reputation when the MC's leak though 2 year warranty is a joke as they don't have any engineers, so it is left to us....

magna clean would not send me free lid and valve o ring kits i had to buy mine not on IMHO when i fit about 3-6 magnas a month and they just put the price up???????????? with all this competition hitting them,are they mad????

Unfortunately their inflexible movement on warranty is the reason BG stopped using them. The ultimate answer would be a cast brass magnaclean with built in fittings

magna clean would not send me free lid and valve o ring kits i had to buy mine not on IMHO when i fit about 3-6 magnas a month and they just put the price up???????????? with all this competition hitting them,are they mad????
I got through to a manager called Jo she sent via a courier 10 lids and valve kits, was last year, they have all been used now though:shocked: Adey are reading this too, they are now a marketing machine rather more than anything else, they have huge salaries to pay all the industry respective big cheeses they keep appointing, and their new premises too to pay for.

I got through to a manager called Jo she sent via a courier 10 lids and valve kits, was last year, they have all been used now though:shocked: Adey are reading this too, they are now a marketing machine rather more than anything else, they have huge salaries to pay all the industry respective big cheeses they keep appointing, and their new premises too to pay for.
i also spoke to jo she still made me pay i was not happy she did send 1 lid kit free i had to pay for the other 9

i also spoke to jo she still made me pay i was not happy she did send 1 lid kit free i had to pay for the other 9
Looks like I won't be fitting many more, shame their magnetic performance is great, but I need a watertight filter that does both non and magnetic debris....will see how the eliminators go

If all the holes block up there is a bypass . Our first prototype I made ,it had sixteen 2mm and it did block up , so i redesigned the filter with a large hole and a by pass .
I put the 2nd prototype on a very dirty system and left it for a month , worked perfectly well without blockage.
Some people have there own favourite filters, you just cannot convert them .Like myself trained on baxi boilers ,i've always stick to baxi boilers , I can repair them , install them with my eyes closed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:drunk:
What stops your 4 mm holes blocking up in the separator chambers, do you have a bypass? I understand if you don't want to say

There is a plastic version of the spirotech mb3 released by (caleffi) altecnic dirtmagiq.
In my opinion it will not work as good because of the external magnet , covering less surface area.
Im on with my filter , hopefully on schedule to release on 1st of november 2012

If all the holes block up there is a bypass . Our first prototype I made ,it had sixteen 2mm and it did block up , so i redesigned the filter with a large hole and a by pass .
I put the 2nd prototype on a very dirty system and left it for a month , worked perfectly well without blockage.
Some people have there own favourite filters, you just cannot convert them .Like myself trained on baxi boilers ,i've always stick to baxi boilers , I can repair them , install them with my eyes closed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:drunk:
I don't have any favourite filters I just need one that works on both magnetic and non magnetic debris, that does not leak and give us call backs...
keep us updated I am interested to try one, I don't mind paying either

baxi,s? got my vote then well on the 105e and duotec 1 are you a ex heatteam guy?

I used to work for a company that contracted out to baxi ,that carried out repairs . We worked all over yorkshire carrying out baxi boiler repairs that were under warranty.:sleeping:
baxi,s? got my vote then well on the 105e and duotec 1 are you a ex heatteam guy?

I used to work for a company that contracted out to baxi ,that carried out repairs . We worked all over yorkshire carrying out baxi boiler repairs that were under warranty.:sleeping:

its all i fit combi wise either the duotec 1 or potterton gold wont touch the new ga boilers though or there solo HE good to see a service engineer has designed this filter so you know the issues us guys face,but we want it all cheap,reliable,does what it should do you have a tough audience to convince but i think your filters on to a winner i like the look of it,just remember when your minted that us guys want good service back up in the event of a problem mr adey was a gas engineer but his company's lack of interest in us guys is the main reason i am looking at alternatives

My purpose in business is not just have a good product ,but a strong customer services back up , that i can oversee.
I cannot comment on competitors .
I have had a lot of interest from 8 different merchants, one of the merchants is big , when I say big they are big .
I cant fulfill there needs because they have a outlet in every town .
I just dont want to jump in at the deep end and find I cant cope, doesn't make business sense.
I may be a little stickleback in big pond , I'd like to grow steadily .

My purpose in business is not just have a good product ,but a strong customer services back up , that i can oversee.
I cannot comment on competitors .
I have had a lot of interest from 8 different merchants, one of the merchants is big , when I say big they are big .
I cant fulfill there needs because they have a outlet in every town .
I just dont want to jump in at the deep end and find I cant cope, doesn't make business sense.
I may be a little stickleback in big pond , I'd like to grow steadily .
well you got my vote,i will try your filter,see what it stops after that it will be specified on every fit

i like your filter and i like your plan. unlike some people you havent seen big companys and ran for the cash youve stuck by and said small merchants first build slowly. i like that !

As a little boy my father used to say to me , slow and steady and win the race .
I took that on board and stuck to that .
i like your filter and i like your plan. unlike some people you havent seen big companys and ran for the cash youve stuck by and said small merchants first build slowly. i like that !

i am launching a new filter on the 1st of november,this filter will capture magnetic and non-magnetic particles.You can see this on our holding page until the website is finished off .
www.trappex.co.uk ,any questions contact me on [email protected].
10000 gauss magnet , 5 dirt separators ,service without dismantling ,dosing point via a funnel.
A animated video will be launched in the next few weeks .

Glad to see that you have openly published the gauss strength of your magnet - although is it 10000 or 9500 as per the website?

Some time back, I tried to find out what gauss strength magnets other magnetic system filters use - the companies were not forthcoming with this information!

The killer on price is the magnet , the rare neodymuim magnet is very expensive but even though we are manufacturing in the uk , we will be very competitive .
If you go onto the website holding page and email your details , we will send a sample out in mid november

Neodymium magnets are good as they maintain their strength for a longer period of time but as you say are very expensive! For this reason, I believe some companies are reducing the size of their magnets to lower manufacturing costs (Magnaclean & Fernox).

Magnet size is 9500 gauss as stated on the website and on the video on you tube .
The magnet is the most costly part of the filter , I know fernox say there is 9000 gauss , but not so sure on magnaclean .
We will keep it at 9500 gauss , not reduce the gauss size to cut costs.

Last edited:
I'm liking what I'm reading. I normally spec Spirotrap MB, but will be very interested in seeing yours. I wish you the very best of luck, it's nice to see someone determined to keep quality high rather than slash costs in search of a bigger profit margin...

I believe in quality rather than quantity , also listen to the customers and have a strong customer services that dont fob you off .

Id agree with the Magnaclean product quality reduction, first it was the valves, now its the magnet seems to be about a 3rd of the size, yet claim more magnetic debris removal! Can't see that they have changed anything with the Fernox one as you can actually see the magnets but I guess that doesn't mean a whole lot. Good luck and I hope you get stuck in. I'd probably try the independant network groups like Cemco and NBG, they deal with all procurement deals and can probably give you the orders to cover your set up costs.

You are absolutely right, i dare not even think of speaking to the retail buyers of the big companies as they firstly might give me an order that i cant fulfill. I might have to go to the bank for more money , finance is tight .
I have placed a 1/4 page ad in the december issue in the registered gas engineer magazine and the installer magazine ,cost ÂŁ625 +vat each magazine .Mind you I managed to get an editorial with the installer magazine .
Also a ad in the december pham magazine slightly cheaper ,cost nearly ÂŁ2000 altogether ,i need deep pockets .
Approached my manufacture in nottingham asked them if i got a large order would they extend my 30 day credit , they said no .
Got a meeting with the bank manager next week, lets hope he doesnt show me the door.

Id agree with the Magnaclean product quality reduction, first it was the valves, now its the magnet seems to be about a 3rd of the size, yet claim more magnetic debris removal! Can't see that they have changed anything with the Fernox one as you can actually see the magnets but I guess that doesn't mean a whole lot. Good luck and I hope you get stuck in. I'd probably try the independant network groups like Cemco and NBG, they deal with all procurement deals and can probably give you the orders to cover your set up costs.

Last edited:
havent read the whole thread but liking what im reading hope it all goes well.

Well it just got more complicated just seen Magnaclean pro 2, new inline valves, drain valve etc!! take a look @ PHPI 4 or 5 new filters launched!!! goodluck BSltd

Seen magnacleans pro 2 ,can you fit that horizontally ?
Does it capture non magnetic debris ?
I asked these two questions when i went to the phex show in manchester to the magnaclean rep and the answer was , we dont know anything about the filter ,all we know its being launched in january.
There are a lot of filters that are coming to the market ,salus is launching a filter in january and calmag , I think everyone is jumping on the band wagon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am also in the process of designing a inline filter hope fully launch will be soon with 9500 gauss magnet and serviced without dissassembly
It all blends down to price , in the next 12 months the price will be slashed due to competition.
Well it just got more complicated just seen Magnaclean pro 2, new inline valves, drain valve etc!! take a look @ PHPI 4 or 5 new filters launched!!! goodluck BSltd

Seen magnacleans pro 2 ,can you fit that horizontally ?
Does it capture non magnetic debris ?
I asked these two questions when i went to the phex show in manchester to the magnaclean rep and the answer was , we dont know anything about the filter ,all we know its being launched in january.
There are a lot of filters that are coming to the market ,salus is launching a filter in january and calmag , I think everyone is jumping on the band wagon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am also in the process of designing a inline filter hope fully launch will be soon with 9500 gauss magnet and serviced without dissassembly
It all blends down to price , in the next 12 months the price will be slashed due to competition.
Just seen full page ad in PHPI thats all, does not look like it can be mouted horizontally to me??? doohhh!!!!the non mag debris caputure via existing sheath @ the bottom and and a new one at the top?? dont rate the existing MC for non mag debris anyhow....nowt on thier website either??
Goodluck pal hope it goes well i can see a price war looming..........

I think vern everybody has tackled the magnetic particles but i think filter manufacturers have to have the emphasis on two key points , capturing non magnetic particles and servicing without disassembly.Which I have acheived , I am on with my second inline filter design .
i have my opinion on price war , if you have a unique selling point you dont have to reduce prices but if your product is the same as others then it becomes a price war!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have my opinion on price war , if you have a unique selling point you dont have to reduce prices but if your product is the same as others then it becomes a price war!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi bspareltd

A word of caution there. Branding, marketing and distribution all matter. I have lost count of the smart ideas and clever featured products that have crossed my desk and are now lost in obscurity. It ought to be the case that the best product wins, but that isn't the way the market operates.

If you put your product up against Magnaclean and TF1 at similar prices, even with a full on marketing campaign, you will struggle to get it off the ground. They have the advantage of having recovered their design and tooling costs, and so have the luxury of operating on marginal manufacturing cost if they so choose.

Most buyers will go with the brand names, and if they have a price war between themselves (and Sentinel) you are in danger of being crushed between them.

Sorry to sound negative, but the market is pitiless, particularly when two big players are at war.

I think vern everybody has tackled the magnetic particles but i think filter manufacturers have to have the emphasis on two key points , capturing non magnetic particles and servicing without disassembly!!!!
If you can deliver this I am in!

You are absolutely right about marketing against the big players , fernox and magnaclean have the firm footholding in the market.
I agree with a new comer , i have to think about marketing on a budget , unbranded product .A lot fo retail buyers will not entertain a company with one product , a uphill struggle:angry_smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flow restriction from magnaclean/tf1 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock