Search the forum,

Discuss Flow restriction from magnaclean/tf1 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Set up a limited company in june Trappex ltd,applied for patent pending in april , opened a business account in june .
Sold a house to finance this , I was getting a rent of £550 PER MONTH , which I have lost , so its a do or die situation .
I am playing with 100k , if somebody like wolsley came along and placed a big order and said 60 days payment . I would be snookered to make further filters .
My plan is target the independents , that have up to 10 outlets.

Bspare Peter is offering some great advice, the one thing I would say is get yourself in bed with someone who has the capital and experience to help, I worked for a plastic injection molding company in my late teens (quite a long time ago) and even back then to produce a tool for a mobile phone size piece of equipment ran into the tens of thousands of pounds and that was before a single finished model had been produced.

How about speaking to F&P Wholesale or H&V who distribute across the UK, they would probably jump at the chance to have an own brand filter to compete with the likes of Magnaclean and TF1. Alternatively Calmag are on your doorstep and at least have connections into the market and provided your covered by patents they could produce or at least contribute towards the cost etc.

Few more ideas here ...

Have you put a business plan together yet?

If you have, hopefully its not like the ones that get mentioned on Dragon’s Den where someone says they expect to be selling 2 million units within 18 months, and then when asked how they intend to achieve their targets they don’t have a clue.

You need a hypothetical working model that takes account of all your costs – that’s down to every last penny. Which means taking account of printing, packaging, storage, delivery costs, any labour costs involved with taking on help, etc, etc. Plus a figure that you can live on, which is likely to be better put by saying a figure you can survive on. Employing people is a big step-change for any business, and allow for taking two steps backwards before you move forward again.

You need to allow for worst-case scenario, i.e. how you will survive if things don’t go as well as hoped for (include an exit strategy), and also a plan for coping with success, i.e. if the ball starts rolling, how are you going to keep up with it.

Closing your eyes and hoping to survive a white-knuckle ride is not the way to go about things, for one thing, the stress you will come under will probably bring you down if the actual business doesn’t collapse. Hopefully, those close to you are up for this adventure you are about to embark on – ‘money ain’t everything’, as the saying goes.

Have you approached any of the national merchant chains?

PTS have in-house brands that are exclusive to them – which doesn’t mean that the product is exclusive to them, just the label stuck on it. A lot of companies do exclusive in-house branding these days. Lidl and Aldi for example, have all sorts of brand names in their stores for tools, gardening equipment, cooking items, etc. etc, most of which can be traced back to them. Most of it having been commissioned by them from Chinese or German companies who stick on whatever brand name suits the retailer.

Market research includes finding out what the possibilities are.

If PTS were to take on your filter under an exclusive in-house brand name, you could be looking at a very bright future.

They will need to trial it anyway, which they will do by releasing it through a select number of branches.

If they like it, and want to run with it, and will give you a substantial order, that will open up doors for financing.

Who knows, maybe they will bear with you on the roll-out, and work to a pace that you can handle. Until you ask, you’re not going to know.

PTS are national local suppliers to BG, so the possibilities are enormous.

In terms of preparation for talking to buyers, make sure you know your competitor’s filters inside out, i.e. what they are made of, what they cost to produce, what their weak points are, what their market share is, etc.

You say you are a plumber, so that will be a big advantage because you know the practical aspects of the product, however, you need to show that you have really done your homework and have researched the other main filters on the market in the greatest of detail, both technically and in terms of their grip on the market.

In an earlier post you mentioned the O ring in MB, and the fact that you have a washer in your filter that is less prone to miss-fitting, However, the joint in MB that is sealed by the O ring is not broken once the unit is fitted. Plus MB do draw attention to the O ring in the fitting instructions, and even include a spare. However, once fitted, the joint doesn’t need disturbing again, so I don’t think the O ring is any kind of major weakness in design.

If I were in your shoes, I would do some research re the metals used in the MB body - the thing is made to survive a nuclear war, but at a price. Brass, and most of the base metals used in the manufacture of the MB body have risen in price quite steeply of late, and will continue to rise in the future – China is hoovering up all of the base metals across the globe, which is helping to raise the price.

So rather than hitting on the O ring in MB, I would be more inclined to point to the ever increasing production cost of MB. There is also the rather confused marketing re the function of MB in relation to what-does-what and why. Then thirdly, there is the magnetic flak jacket that makes the thing look like a prototype that is still in development.

When you get a meeting with the buyers from the national chains, it will be a 15 minute (or so) appointment that could change the rest of your life.

So make absolutely sure that you have prepared for such a meeting; and make sure that you show them that you know your competitors inside out.

You don’t need any fancy sales pitch, you’re a plumber who knows what he is talking about, and if you can show that you have studied the opposition in forensic detail, that will impress.

What I suggest is that you use 3 points of weakness from each of the main competitors to illustrate how your filter is a better buy.

The body on your filter won’t be stronger than the MB, but your production costs should be more stable and predictable.

With the MagnaClean: there’s the connection issues, the body issues, and the limited functionality.

I haven’t seen too much criticism of the Tf1, one plumber on here mentioned issues with the connections, so maybe that’s one point to follow up on.

Have you pulled a Tf1 apart and gone through it with a fine-tooth comb?

Get the technical people at your manufacturer’s to give you the run down on the materials used: any weak points of any kind, including production costs, etc.

Rather than just being critical of the opposition, it will be more persuasive to use their weak point to illustrate the superior qualities of your filter.

Coin the phrase: “We’ve studied the rest to make our filter the best”

Buyers don’t want to sit through a session where someone just bitches about the opposition, they want to hear why they should give your filter a trial.

So cast your net wide and deep when doing your research, and condense your findings into a presentation that will fit into 20 minutes.

Marketing is essentially about communication, and if you can communicate within 20 minutes that you have 100% belief in your product, and that you have drawn on the mistakes of the opposition to improve your filter, then I reckon you will have a very good chance of walking out with a deal.

As a priority, I suggest you get your test/demo rig up and running.

Apart from showing your filter in action, maybe fit the opposition’s filters to it to make comparisons with yours.

If you can get hold of a MagnaClean with a leaking body, put it on your rig and video the thing leaking - you don’t have to mention the name of it, as it will be recognisable to people in the trade. But using the images of it leaking to sell the superior qualities of your filter body will be a powerful selling point.

I don’t think it will take a lot of effort to improve on the rig used by Spirotech.

If it were me, I would get a decent looking boiler that’s been decommissioned due to faults, and cut away part of the front panel, open up the heat exchanger, remove the coil, and replace it with a transparent plastic look-a-like coil (for a Vaillant, the plastic pipe used with vehicle windscreen washers would be do). Put some red LEDs around the burner, and you’re ready to go. Add an Alpha pump (which will give you a range of speeds) to the pipe-work, part of which needs to be transparent, and you will be able to demonstrate on video exactly how easy it is for a heat exchanger to become blocked.

Make your rig look authentic by having a small header-tank (labelled as such) and use it to introduce debris into the system.

Video the debris working its way through the system, and show how it blocks the heat exchanger.

Then run the same routine, but with your filter fitted, hopefully showing how your filter acts to protect the heat exchanger.
Give the bore dimensions of a typical small-bore heat exchanger, and show the size of the debris that will cause a blockage – use a close-up with a pound coin in to show the relative size.

Quote the cost of replacing such a heat exchanger, while comparing such expense to the cost of your filter.

Even when people know how something happens, using visual images can be powerful in selling a product.

Also, keep in mind that your video will be seen by buyers, plumbers, and members of the public - the latter being a good reason not to assume prerequisite knowledge.

It may even be seen by boiler-makers who produce highly vulnerable heat exchangers, and wouldn’t it be nice if it shamed them into putting one of your filters in the box with the boiler?

Make sure your rig really looks the business, and has your brand and logo on it.

Having a selection of such videos on your lap-top will be a powerful force for influencing potential customers.

Apart from the actual messages communicated, the way you have gone about it should impress, and say something about your business acumen and ability to influence people.

[FONT=&amp]I reckon you’re going to be very busy![/FONT]

I am currently looking for a 3d video animator and negotiating a price with a website designer . I am going to try and put the website out a month before release . What do you think ?
I have seen the video on fernox tf1 , pretty impressive .

I found your patent application in the Journal!

Did you use the services of a Patent Lawyer/expert to check your product was patentable?

Why 3D?

Which Fernox ad do you mean - I didn't think the one with the guy in the black T-shirt showing how easy it is to pull out the magnet was up to much.

I think a well-made rig with a cut-away showing the boiler heat exchanger getting blocked by debris from a header tank would be more help in selling your filter as a protective device.

A Vaillant service engineer told me that the majority of restricted heat exchangers he sees can be linked to debris coming down from the header tank-when the system is drained.

Using graphics to illustrate the point is ok, but I think seeing the actual hardware insitu on a rig brings home the reality of having to pay out £300/£400 to have a heat exchanger replaced.

I haven't seen any other filter manufacturer giving non-metallic debris much coverage - they all seem obsessed with the size of their magnet, and its pulling power - a tad Freudian maybe!!

Something to watch when up-loading stuff to the net is file size - if you throw in all the latest bells and whistles it can mean long download times.

I put a video on You Tube that I made with my old Fuji SD cam, and I was surprised at how well it looked - certainly as good as the Fernox ad.

The beauty of filming it yourself is that you can go back and play around with things whenever the need arises.

Until you put your domain name into a search engine, no one is going to find it unless they enter the domain name directly into their browser, so no worries on that score. Just do the fine tuning before you list it on google, etc.

I put Trappex into the You Tube search box, and only a few videos came up on the game of the same name - so that looks promising.

Must be an exciting time for you? I envy you in a way, but then I couldn't be doing with the hassle these days.

They never show the blood, sweat and tears behind successful businesses on the TV, everything happens within the sweep of a frame change.

I have bought a domain name , trappex.co.uk about 5 months ago .I have been talking to a 3d video animator and he is saying £300 for a two and a half minutes video . I have chosen 3d because i want the prospective customers to see the inner workings of the filter
This video will be incorporated into the website .
I am planning on releasing the website in october .
You are right everybody has the emphasis on magnet size, not too much on the non magetic debris
If you notice the fernox tf1 and magnaclean has nothing to catch the non magnetic debris .
spirotech mb2 and mb3 does not have a dosing point and doesnt really catch anything.
Do you think when I finish this video , i should put this on you tube straight away or wait until october?

Last edited:
If you notice the fernox tf1 and magnaclean has nothing to catch the non magnetic debris .
spirotech mb2 and mb3 does not have a dosing point and doesnt really catch anything.
I don't think Adey, Fernox and Spirotech would agree with those assertions. You might find yourself open to litigation, in the same way that Adey was over their claims.

I am stating my humble opinion on their non magnetic filter section , not because im making my own filter .I have looked at there product ,in detail and there is nothing that actually catches plastic in situ.

I have bought a domain name , trappex.co.uk about 5 months ago .I have been talking to a 3d video animator and he is saying £300 for a two and a half minutes video . I have chosen 3d because i want the prospective customers to see the inner workings of the filter
This video will be incorporated into the website .
I am planning on releasing the website in october .
You are right everybody has the emphasis on magnet size, not too much on the non magetic debris
Do you think when I finish this video , i should put this on you tube straight away or wait until october?

When I think of 3D video, I imagine wearing special specs to view it with, but presumably that's not what you mean?

Might be worth checking to make sure its going to run in the average browser on the kind of average powered computer most people have. Most budget laptops (for example) are not very good on high level graphics.

Keeping file sizes reasonable is very important - if you look at Microsoft websites you will find they don't use high level graphics that much, preferring to produce web pages that will download quickly on a wide range of browsers, and on very average computers.

My computer is very average, and doesn't run BBC iPlayer in HD too well, god knows what it would make of 3D - unless of course we are talking at cross purposes.

I've got a MB2, and as you say, it doesn't have a dosing point, but it does spit out dirty water when the valve is opened, although I have no way of telling if it is fully protective of the heat exchanger.

When you've got your test rig up and running, I'd be very interested to see any tests you do on MB2, or 3, if it comes to that.

Testing for debris should be easy enough, e.g. if you put particles big enough to block a small bore heat exchanger into your test system and MB lets them pass, then it's not doing the job.

With magnetite, I guess you'd need to add a measured amount of magnetite into the system as they do on the Spirotech video, run it for a set period of time, and then get a water sample analysed by Sentinel, or someone similar.

Running the same test on all of the main filters around should produce some interesting data.

Does the surface area of your magnet compare to the MagnaClean and Tf1?

The way the magnetite clings to the magnetic tube in the MagnaClean videos suggests to me that it's a metal tube with round magnets inside, spaced about an inch apart - hence the undulating pattern in the clinging magnetite. But I've never had the pleasure of pulling one apart, so I don't actually know.

I was open minded when I bought the MB2 - I thought as long as it can't do any harm, it's worth giving it a go.

I see the Tf1 has an award from Corgi - I wonder how much that cost them? lol ... (only joking your Honour!)

If you have a look at www.dirtmagiq.co.uk . That is a impressive 3d animated video .
A mb3 in plastic .
i bet spirotech regret not taking a patent out on the spirotech mb2.
My magnet will be similar to fernox tf1 .

Last edited:
If you have a look at www.dirtmagiq.co.uk . That is a impressive 3d animated video .
A mb3 in plastic .
i bet spirotech regret not taking a patent out on the spirotech mb2.
My magnet will be similar to fernox tf1 .

Well that ran on my computer ok - but not sure I would call it 3D.

I did wonder about having an automatic air bleed in the design, I see the dirtmagiq has a manual one.

Apart from that, it looks like a MB2 by another name.

An LED to show that the filter is full would be a nice touch, but would need a small battery.

Something else that occurred to me was that while most plumbers will appreciate the value of a filter on a boiler, some female end-users may not be too keen on having a weird looking lump hanging on the pipe leading to their boiler when they've paid out several thousand pounds for their dream kitchen - so how about having a cover available as an accessory. A white plastic box that sat on the filter would probably do the job. Probably won't make sense to most blokes, but it might to some females, and it might increase your edge a little.

Just had a quick look at the availability of Trappex domain names, and most of them are available - you might want to buy up a few while they are still going - they are cheap enough on 1&1. Could be advantageous later on to have a few domain names handy, plus it helps to keep things simple re search engine listings.

1&1 Internet - Domain Check Results

I see that trappex.com is a hardware company.

That is why I have made it in white , so it hopefully matches the white boiler and kitchen units.
That is an idea of an full indicator , but how?

That is why I have made it in white , so it hopefully matches the white boiler and kitchen units.
That is an idea of an full indicator , but how?

A float that triggers a micro-switch in the top maybe.

White is a good idea - is there a pink alternative? lol

Or an arm near the top of the chamber that is lifted by the rising sediment and makes the contact for the LED

O------------o

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I see what you are saying , in order to do this I will have to have an electrical feed or battery for the LED. Another expense .

I see what you are saying , in order to do this I will have to have an electrical feed or battery for the LED. Another expense .

Well a battery at least, which could be quite small as it won't be operating for most of the time - but it will need to be long-life, and easy to replace.

I would think the LED, the battery, and the sensor, would need to be in one tubular unit that could be fitted through one drilling. It would be a good selling point, but then you have to balance that with the additional cost.

The MagnaBooster marketing stresses that if the filter becomes full it is automaticaly by-passed and full flow continues, but then that means that the heat exchanger is not protected because, in effect, the filter has stop working.

So if your filter has a warning light that signals that the filter is three-quarters full and needs emptying before the by-pass starts, it should be a strong selling point.

Petercj , excellent idea , but cost factor and having a battery will make it bulky.So I am going to make it simple and state on the instructions annual service required.

Petercj , excellent idea , but cost factor and having a battery will make it bulky.So I am going to make it simple and state on the instructions annual service required.

LEDs use very little power, and a small long-life battery shouldn't cost much, I would guess that combined it should be possible for less than a £1.

But simplicity is good - adding features nearly always means that there is another thing that can go wrong.

Is the casing of your filter transparent?

If not, could a section of it be made so?

if your supplying it in white ensure its a wipe clean finish or protect it with stick on plastic its hard enough keeping the condense overflow pipe clean when doing a boiler

Hi,

Have you thought of training companies / colleges? they love stuff that works (preferably free).

The advantage for you is so many people continue to use the products they have trained with, not everyone is interested in continued learning after they get their papers.

Wishing you every success.

You have hit the nail on the head , I was trained as an apprentice fitting baxi boilers and i have stuck to them .
I will be sending samples to acs training schools and colleges.
So far I am on schedule , launch date 1st of november .
DirtMAGIQ and BOILERMAG have released their filters , healthy competition !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just had a look at the Boilermag website - looks like more of the same to me. How have they managed to copy the MagnaBooster / Tf1 without infringing copyright?

I see they offer points that can be traded in for tools - mainly gardening tools in the pics.

Must be a risk of market overload, I would think.

If your customer is particularly concerned with non magnetic debris you could recommend that you install a MagnaClean TwinTech. MagnaClean TwinTech can be installed on any central heating system and, as the name suggests, possesses exceptionally powerful magnetic and non-magnetic filtration characteristics. TwinTech is available in 22mm black and is ADEY's most advanced, high capacity filter. From our experience MagnaClean TwinTech is the perfect partner for central heating systems that have specific problems with non-magnetic debris. It's also particularly well suited for open-vented systems; where plastic pipework is fitted or underfloor heating. Central heating systems of this nature tend to have more problems and a higher volume of non-magnetic debris in suspension. In order to achieve the best protection for the boiler, we recommend that MagnaClean TwinTech is fitted between the last radiator and the boiler.

ADEY, what do you think of some type of loyalty scheme, i.e buy 20 magnacleans get 1 free or something like that. No other filter company offers that. Would benifit plumbers and yourselves

ADEY, what do you think of some type of loyalty scheme, i.e buy 20 magnacleans get 1 free or something like that. No other filter company offers that. Would benifit plumbers and yourselves

They are for some reason not so much driven to please the installers. I offered them some years ago my contacts to german suppliers. Not interested. They have got their own strategy I have been told.
Well, magnetic filters now start finding their ways into the shelves there.
But its not Adey.
I personally prefer Adey's products. And despite I fitted quite a few and service them as well I never had any problems with them. Except of the poor quality compression rings/fittings on earlier models.
With the TF1 I got spluttered black a few times when initially nothing comes out and then all in one go.
With the MB I am not sure, when I see what amount of sludge some systems give off in the first years after fitting the magnetic filter. It looks undersized to me.

And I find my own Magna Clean 28, despite its the older model without the new cartridge, collecting a mixture of magnetic and non magnetig particles. There are regularly chips of lime scale trapped between the iron oxide particles. Just I had no chance by now to see the effect of the reduced flow of the new A-rated pump.

Anyone got experience on the impact of A-rated pumps on magnetic filters?

i am launching a new filter on the 1st of november,this filter will capture magnetic and non-magnetic particles.You can see this on our holding page until the website is finished off .
www.trappex.co.uk ,any questions contact me on [email protected].
10000 gauss magnet , 5 dirt separators ,service without dismantling ,dosing point via a funnel.
A animated video will be launched in the next few weeks .

Petercj have a look at my holding page , see what you think www.trappex.co.uk
Everything going to plan , so far so good

Hi

Good to hear its going well - is that page temporary? If it's permanent, not sure about the different orientation of the filter on the right - looks a bit unbalanced, and a bit pointless?

Could also do with a bit more info imo so that it's obvious what the filter is for, i.e. to protect central heating boilers.

The Trappex logo looks great - very professional, as does the filter.

It is only a holding page until the website is up and running .I have had 22 enquiries already ,i only put this up last night .What do you think of the name CENTRAMAG (central heating magnet)
Yes .you are right I am going to put more info on the holding page in the next couple of days .
Good thinking batman !!!!!!
Hi

Good to hear its going well - is that page temporary? If it's permanent, not sure about the different orientation of the filter on the right - looks a bit unbalanced, and a bit pointless?

Could also do with a bit more info imo so that it's obvious what the filter is for, i.e. to protect central heating boilers.

The Trappex logo looks great - very professional, as does the filter.

Centramag is good - relates to what the product does without being too close to similar brand names.

Googling wise it brings up Centrimag, which is a blood pump of all things!

Have you had any thoughts on getting over clashing with the Trappex game when it comes to google listings?

As you probably know, there's a monthly competition on this forum for best looking piece of plumbing work - maybe you could become a sponsor offering a filter or two as a prize?

An independent merchant recently joined the forum (who may not have seen the earlier thread on your filter venture) perhaps you could do each other a bit of good?

This forum is a good place to start with your advertising - the adverts have become more prolific of late so your filter would get plenty of exposure.

An independent merchant recently joined the forum (who may not have seen the earlier thread on your filter venture) perhaps you could do each other a bit of good?

Good spot Petercj! Have just emailed him. :)

Centramag is good - relates to what the product does without being too close to similar brand names.

Googling wise it brings up Centrimag, which is a blood pump of all things!

Have you had any thoughts on getting over clashing with the Trappex game when it comes to google listings?

As you probably know, there's a monthly competition on this forum for best looking piece of plumbing work - maybe you could become a sponsor offering a filter or two as a prize?

This forum is a good place to start with your advertising - the adverts have become more prolific of late so your filter would get plenty of exposure.

i have always valued your opinion , and taken your views on board.
The reason I have not optimised the TRAPPEX website, is because it is not up and running yet , sponsoring is a good idea.
What do you think of the filter being in white . Is a good idea for CENTRAMAG to blend in with the white kitchen appliances ?
Our plastic injection molding company in Nottingham is having the filters ready for the end of October , PLEASE NOTE MADE IN GB NOT CHINA .
When they are ready , i will post a filter out to you.

Hi,

I think if you put the line "Designed and Made In Great Britain" on the holding page and if possible work it into the Centramag logo it can only do your product good as many people liker the idea of supporting Local Business.

I understand your site is only a holding a page at the moment but a PDF of instructions or even a one page brochure to download will keep you in visitors minds, maybe I am unusual but I tend to download such information and keep them in a folder on my desktop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flow restriction from magnaclean/tf1 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock