Search the forum,

Discuss Flow problem to shower. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a thermostatic mixer shower with a salamander 2 bar twin pump connected. When i first turn on the shower the flow is really poor, by holding the handheld shower attachment as low as I can, the pump eventually kicks in and I can divert the water to the fixed head and shower as normal.
When i've finished showering and turn the water off it sounds like water is flowing back through the pipes, presumably to the cwsc and hot water cylinder.
Would fitting non return valves solve this issue and if so which ones should I get.
Thanks in advance.

I should probably add, have changed the valve that controls the flow, I can't adjust the temp though so am guessing the thermostatic mixer valve also needs replacing, would a faulty one of these cause water to back flow?

You need a negative head pump.
I have had this set up for about 8 years, with no problems. I replaced the pump a while ago and moved it from the loft to the base of the cylinder. Its strange it worked better in the loft than the recomended place. I am convinced its a pipe(water flow) issue or a problem with the shower itself, just can't narrow down excacly what the issue is.

I have had this set up for about 8 years, with no problems. I replaced the pump a while ago and moved it from the loft to the base of the cylinder. Its strange it worked better in the loft than the recomended place. I am convinced its a pipe(water flow) issue or a problem with the shower itself, just can't narrow down excacly what the issue is.
Whatever is going on water cannot flow up hill on it`s own accord, pumped or a syphon effect yes and I cannot see it being a shower problem from here.

With salamander pumps aslong as the shower head is at least 600mm from bottom of cwsc then a positive head pump should be fine but then also if your hot draw off is less than 2 litres per minute then you need a negative head pump also is your pump on the hot side connected to a secondary hot tapping or a surrey flange?

With salamander pumps aslong as the shower head is at least 600mm from bottom of cwsc then a positive head pump should be fine but then also if your hot draw off is less than 2 litres per minute then you need a negative head pump also is your pump on the hot side connected to a secondary hot tapping or a surrey flange?[/QUOTe

Last edited:
I have a surrey flange. I think it is connected up wrong though, the pump is fed from the top and hot water to the rest of the house is from the side. This has been connected like this since my bathroon installer fitted our en-suite 8 years ago. The pump used to be in the loft and when I replaced the pump I moved it to the base of the cylinder. Is this what is causing my problems, do you think that just reversing these connections will solve my issues. Thank you for your advice.

warix flange

Reply to Flow problem to shower. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock