Search the forum,

Discuss Flexible tap connectors breaking in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

doddsie

Hi, I am new to this forum and looking for some help. So thanks in advance for any advice given.

2 years ago we renovated a house in France and fitted a number of new bathrooms. In all the bathrooms we used Burlington Bathrooms taps for the baths and basins and used the flexible tap connectors that were supplied with the taps. A year ago one of the flexible connectors to a basin snapped off at the end, where the pipe thread that goes into the tap joins the pipe. This then flooded the house, as we were out at the time.

The house is used for holidays, so when we are not there we turn the water off at the mains, but we leave the heating on. When my wife went there this weekend she turned the water on and realised an hour later that another flexible hose had snapped, again flooding the house. Again it snapped at the end where it goes into the tap, leaving part of it inside the tap thread. So she turned the water off at the mains, cleaned up and then isolated that bathroom, so she could put the water back on again to the rest of the house. An hour later another one snapped, in a different bathroom.

We now have no faith in the system and are scared to turn the water on, especially if we are leaving the house. So I'm looking for advice on how to solve the problem and any thoughts as why two would have gone within hours of each other, despite the fact that that they've been fine for the last two years.

Any help would be very gratefully received.

Hello doddsie and welcome to the Forum !

I can't tell you why they broke, it could just be that the manufacturers had a bad batch

Or they could just be of poor quality.

If you want to keep those taps you'll either need to buy new flex or you can get hold off rigid copper tails with the same thread on the tap end. I have only ( personally) seen that type supplied with the taps to be honest.

It does sound like you've had a bad batch to me.

Are the taps not under manufacturers warranty ?
Most taps have at least five years

Hello doddsie and welcome to the Forum !

I can't tell you why they broke, it could just be that the manufacturers had a bad batch

Or they could just be of poor quality.

If you want to keep those taps you'll either need to buy new flex or you can get hold off rigid copper tails with the same thread on the tap end. I have only ( personally) seen that type supplied with the taps to be honest.

It does sound like you've had a bad batch to me.

Are the taps not under manufacturers warranty ?
Most taps have at least five years

I'm not sure about the bad batch theory, as the one that broke a year ago was bought from a different supplier at a different time and had a different flexible connector, as it was a different model tap.

Ah !

Forget the bad batch then.
Do they look corroded when they break ?

What's the water pressure like on your French system ?

Is it the brass that breaks or the flex/rubber ?

They do not normally fail as you have described unless they have been over tightened on install, I agree with Last Plumber on this and you were probably unfortunate to have a bad batch supplied with your taps. It is important that the flex's are only fitted hand tight and not tightened up with a spanner as this could make them fail as you have described in the not too distant future.

Good point there made by Darren.
If they've been DIY installed, people do tend to over-tighten things, no offence meant i'm not saying you did that !
It could be that. They are an 'o'ring seal !

Water Pressure - Is higher than the UK, but we do have a pressure release valve fitted. It doesn't have a gauge, so I don't know what the pressure is.

The plumber may have overtightened them, I don't know. I asked him to quote me to change all the flexible pipes, but he said that he would quote to change all the taps. So whatever I do, I think I'll do it myself.

Difficult one!

I can only say that in thirty years of plumbing/Heating I can't remember seeing that !
To get three in one house, there's a common denominator

Perhaps French plumbers are heavy handed doddsie?

Last edited:
Temperature change from very hot to very cold weather? Any sharp kinks in the flexi in that area adding a load?

Temperature change from very hot to very cold weather? Any sharp kinks in the flexi in that area adding a load?

There is big temperature changes externally, as the house is in a ski resort. But the heating is left on, so the temperature doesn't change that much in the bathrooms.
There's no sharp kinks in the flexi.

Intriguing !!

Have you not raised this issue with him ?

I know that if I had installed three taps and they failed and flooded someone's home I would definitely be informed and I personally would be more than concerned.

I would be checking the rest

We disagreed over some of his ad-ons, in France you make a quote and you're supposed to stick with it. It was more a problem that the project manager assured me some things were in the quote and he assured me they weren't. But I paid all his bills and we left on friendly terms and he knew that there would be further bathrooms in the future, which I'd get him in to do.

Yes I've been in contact with him, but there is a language barrier and I don't want his solution of him sourcing and changing all the taps through out the house. The fact that we supplied the taps, means that he won't take responsibility for them.

I believe in Europe we have got around 4/5 bar mains water pressure. I assume the flexi's must have been over tightened ( as mentioned above ) or just a poor quality flexi's. It also could cause issues when turning the mains off and on. Once you turned the mains off and drained the rest water it may blast with 4/5 bar through the pipes and it will surely break on the weakest points ( if poor quality or faulty batch of flexis ) ... I had few issues like that back in Germany so maybe we could consider the issue too

I would be checking the rest

How do you check? I can't see that there will be any obvious fault.

I intend to swap them all over, but first I'd like to establish what the problem is so that it doesn't happen again. eg. faulty hoses? badly fitted? not suitable for the job because of high pressure?

I would swap them all to be honest. I cant' understand why you would have had three in the same property especially as they were from different sources.

Pressure wise, most things here are tested beyond 10 bar so If Matchless is correct with the 4/5 bar pressure, I cannot see it being that.

As far as the Plumber goes, I would not accept responsibility for materials that a customer supplied themselves either but the question still remains as to 'why' they broke. I can only speak for myself here but I would be wanting to investigate the cause of failure before I refused to accept any responsibility for it. Even if you had supplied it because the failure could still be due to an installation fault or error.

Can you not remove one of the flexes that are still in and see how tight they are?
Normally, you would be able to unscrew those with your hand. You might have to start it with a spanner/key but they shouldn't require much force.

Last edited:
Can you not remove one of the flexes that are still in and see how tight they are?
Normally, you would be able to unscrew those with your hand. You might have to start it with a spanner/key but they shouldn't require much force.

Yes I can do that and if they are too tight, at least I know that was the probable problem. There's no way the plumber will accept that it was his fault though.

When I do replace them all, is there a better flexible pipe I can use? Any that are rated to a higher pressure? manufacturer's that are better than others?
I don't care about the price, I just want to stop the problem. The first time one broke was in the mezzanine at the top of the house and we bailed out over 300 litres from the basement.

Yes I can do that and if they are too tight, at least I know that was the probable problem. There's no way the plumber will accept that it was his fault though.

When I do replace them all, is there a better flexible pipe I can use? Any that are rated to a higher pressure? manufacturer's that are better than others?
I don't care about the price, I just want to stop the problem. The first time one broke was in the mezzanine at the top of the house and we bailed out over 300 litres from the basement.

I couldn't tell you a name to be honest. I don't tend to buy them separate. I always use what comes with taps. Your problem is an unusual one in my opinion. I think you'd be best off, replacing all the flex connectors and then at least you'll know you've more than likely eliminated any further issues.

Out of curiosity, are these all on hot water or is it both hot and cold.
If it is hot only, do you know what type of system you have. e.g. pumped, tank fed, unvented etc

if you supplied the taps then its down to you to do your home work contact the tap company who make the taps find out the working pressure of the taps ! what is the working pressure of your property! most inlet pressure is regulated to 3 bar
if your pressure is above this it needs to have a pressure reducesing valve fitted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flexible tap connectors breaking in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock