Search the forum,

Discuss Fitting wall hung gas fire after Bermuda removal in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi cust wants new wall hung gas fire once his boiler is done, I've told him let me sort boiler then once back boiler and fire is gone I'll have a look.

money is definitely an issue now he is having the boiler done. Anyone fitted a fire after removing a back boiler? Any advice on best way to go about it to keep costs down?

Thanks

You don't necessarily need a liner for a fire. Its easier and cheaper without one if the chimney is sound

You don't necessarily need a liner for a fire. Its easier and cheaper without one if the chimney is sound

That's true, I was just thinking whilst he's up there pulling the existing liner out it's easier to replace it than testing the flue and if it passes, leaving it without and opening himself up to potential future problems.

To the OP.
Tamz is right though, you don't "need" a box or liner for a gas fire !

That's true, I was just thinking whilst he's up there pulling the existing liner out it's easier to replace it than testing the flue and if it passes, leaving it without and opening himself up to potential future problems.

To the OP.

To the OP.

Thanks.

To the OP.

Thanks.

If I get the existing liner removed and do a smoke test and it passes then I can assume it's ok to use the chimney as is?

And a visual obviously.

Last edited:
If I get the existing liner removed and do a smoke test and it passes then I can assume it's ok to use the chimney as is?

And a visual obviously.

Yes.
As long as it is sound and you've checked in the room above and the loft for signs of smoke.

There should be no sign of smoke.

The smoke should flow freely and come out of the correct terminal and only one terminal.

You are allowed to warm the flue with your lamp for a few minutes (10 if necessary ) if the flue is not initially pulling well enough.

All windows and doors closed.
Any open flue'd appliances in same room that could effect the test should be lit.
If there are any fans in adjacent rooms the flue should be tested again ( if it passes), with the inter connecting door open and the fan running ( all other doors closed )

Have a good look up the flue to check for obstructions.

If all's well, fit a suitable terminal!
You can fit an open pot but it would be best in my opinion to fit one that prevents bum warming birds suffering the effects of CO2 and CO and falling down the chimney.

Last edited:
Yes.
As long as it is sound and you've checked in the room above and the loft for signs of smoke.

There should be no sign of smoke.

The smoke should flow freely and come out of the correct terminal and only one terminal.

You are allowed to warm the flue with you lamp for a few minutes (10 if necessary ) at the start of the test.

All windows and doors closed.
Any open flue'd appliances in same room that could effect the test should be lit.
If there are any fans in adjacent rooms the flue should be tested with the inter connecting door open and the fan running ( all other doors closed )

Have a good look up the flue to check for obstructions.

That's what I was expecting. Customer has driven me mad, wanted to go and buy a fire on the weekend and have me fit it, had to slow him down and tell him no to buy anything until I have checked and tested the flue.

Thanks.

Pulling the liner out should be fun, spare trousers will be needed I'm sure.

Pulling the liner out should be fun, spare trousers will be needed I'm sure.

Yep.

Gloves, dust mask and goggles are the order of the day !

Pick a nice day, take biscuits and a flask up there, have a sit and ponder over life whilst staring into the distance and enjoying the warm sun on your face !

Leave the phone in the van so no mithering individual pesters you on that grand day out.

If you discover what life's all about, will you let the rest of us know please ?

Last edited:
Yep.

Gloves, dust mask and goggles are the order of the day !

Pick a nice day, take biscuits and a flask up there, have a sit and ponder over life whilst staring into the distance and enjoying the warm sun on your face !

Leave the phone in the van so no mithering individual pesters you on that grand day out.

If you discover what it's all about, will you let the rest of us know please ?

I suppose how long is a piece of string but how long would you allow for a job like this? I may have to bond around the fireplace to get a flat surface for the closure plate but fitting the fire is straight forward. I can imagine pulling the liner out will be a nightmare.

Would also have to run new gas pipe along the loft and and drop down.

Last edited:
I haven't seen it but the liner will normally come out easy.
Twisting and lifting.
Only you can guess the time for the pipe run, once that's there the fire's not a big job really.

Is there a hearth ?

To remove liner, test flue, fit pot, bench off, fit fire, connect gas, Test it, test spillage, clean up etc. I'd think a Day roughly.
If there's hearth and gas run .....? maybe another half a day to a day ?

Difficult to say without seeing it !

If they've not asked you for a price, don't offer one just crack on !

I haven't seen it but the liner will normally come out easy.
Twisting and lifting.
Only you can guess the time for the pipe run, once that's there the fire's not a big job really.

Is there a hearth ?

To remove liner, test flue, fit pot, bench off, fit fire, connect gas, Test it, test spillage, clean up etc. I'd think a Day roughly.
If there's hearth and gas run .....? maybe another half a day to a day ?

Difficult to say without seeing it !

If they've not asked you for a price, don't offer one just crack on !

That's understandable as you haven't seen it, could be anything. There is no hearth, gas will be reasonably easy.

Ill price it for a day and a half.

Get a price for scaf wouldn't pull or install a liner off a cat myself

A chimney scaffold would cost between 400 - 800 depending where the chimney is.

If you are not confident on roofs, a roofer would probably do it for around 150.

A chimney scaffold would cost between 400 - 800 depending where the chimney is.

If you are not confident on roofs, a roofer would probably do it for around 150.

If it was me id get a roofer. Ive got a set of foldable cats but used them once and felt a bit light headed and wobbly kneed.

Far cry from my younger days.

I'm not too bad on roofs. Apparently next flat along has a walk in loft with access to the roof which I will check out. If I don't fancy it I'll get hold of a roofer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fitting wall hung gas fire after Bermuda removal in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock