Search the forum,

Discuss Fitting secondhand boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would assess the situation and decide from there. I have had instances where I have said no and one instance where I have done it.

I've fitted a 2nd hand boiler before but as I say to all customers, it takes just as long and needs just as much material as a new boiler. To be fair the last 2nd hand boiler I did was only a year old and came from a house that was being conencted to the gas main so nothing wrong with it. Wouldn't fit a 2nd hand Warmflow or anything like that however!

I would assess the situation and decide from there. I have had instances where I have said no and one instance where I have done it.

so have I just depends on how skint you are

Well, as of 14.50pm today, there's 1,671 used boilers for sale on ebay.
Looks like a healthy market, and prison overcrowding on the way:)

Last edited:
Thanks Croppie, for pointing out what should be the obvious. Back to Topic, my interpretation is, if it's a HE Boiler LLD or Balanced flue then OK as long as installation complies with BS5410, Part J and of course Part L1b. If its SE or open flue, far too much trouble.
Just because someone else fits them, doesn't make it right.
Any S/H boiler decommissioned and standing empty is corroding internally.... so my advice is leave it alone and protect your reputation as a honest professional tradesperson (PC)

Thanks Croppie, for pointing out what should be the obvious. Back to Topic, my interpretation is, if it's a HE Boiler LLD or Balanced flue then OK as long as installation complies with BS5410, Part J and of course Part L1b. If its SE or open flue, far too much trouble.
Just because someone else fits them, doesn't make it right.
Any S/H boiler decommissioned and standing empty is corroding internally.... so my advice is leave it alone and protect your reputation as a honest professional tradesperson (PC)

Thanks for the pointer, but I will use my own judgement.

Besides which the second hand boiler in the OP has probably been fitted by now.......

Or in the case of Warmflows, the second hand ones are probably better than the new ones as the chances are someone has fixed all the leaks for you. :p

I just pulled out a wall hung Thermecon condenser. Bloke who bought the house is having the garage sorted out and wanted a new one. So here I have a 5 year old Thermecrap....Ill stick it on ebay, I just cant bring myself to bung it.

Got a 2nd hand 2 year old Vortex Pro now. Customer gone for Biomass and old boiler in perfect condition. Got someone who wants one so going to fit it for them, Act as agent on behalf of customer and take commission on the sale. I fitted the original so I know its OK.

2 question I always get:
can I put a new fire on that back boiler- no sorry
can you move this boiler - no unless it has a condensate and flue is available to buy

simples!!!

You are allowed to relocate an existing standard efficiency boiler within a property and it does not need to be notified (so said my LABC), but the expense of doing so would be a waste of money to move a really old one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fitting secondhand boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock