Search the forum,

Discuss Fitting downstairs toilet in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I am considering fitting a toilet in our utility room and need some advice/assistance.

The house is a 1930's ex council house and the previous occupants have transformed what would have been the outbuilding into a decent utility room. There is water into it as the washing machine is housed in there. It is a good size and will accommodate a toilet and sink, partitioned off from the rest of the room.

My initial thoughts were that I would have to fit a macerator as the soil stack for the house bathroom is on the opposite side of the house and it is not feasible to tap into that.

Having never fitted one before I am not sure how the waste from the macerator should be routed.

However, having looked further at the outside there is, what I believe to be, a sewer drain right next to the outside wall of the utility room, in our back garden. Having lifted the cover it appears that this is a shared drainage as there are pipes coming from the neighbours on one side and heading off in the direction of the neighbours on t'other side.

So, am I best fitting a short soil stack to the rear of the utility room and running this into the existing sewer drain, rather than using a macerator?

If so, what, if any, permission do I need? The info. I can find online is, to me, a bit confusing and I cannot determine if this is a private sewer because it's on my land, or if it's public because it's shared.

If a macerator is the way to go, then where do I run the waste to?, the same sewerage drain?

Any info/assistance gratefully received.

Thanks

Andy

your best option is to contact building control, as they will need to come and sign any works off

i would if you can try and get it into main drainage

Whilst macerators are sometimes the only reasonable solution to a WC locating problem, if there is a way to do it "properly" and it can be done within your budget, I would go with a standard toilet every time.

Macerators have their place for sure but they should never be first choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fitting downstairs toilet in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Evening all! Looking for a bit of help. Today my downstairs toilet gurgled when I put the tap on in the bathroom, The toilet filled and became blocked. Ive tried to plunge it to no avail and now if I flush my up stairs toilet, downstairs toilet fills with dirty water. It also fills up with more...
Replies
Views
Hi! Totally inexperienced DIY newbie so bear with me for descriptions! Pictures hopefully help. I’m trying to remove an unused downstairs toilet in our new house. It’s eventually going to be moved to the other side of the house. The seal around the back of the toilet had failed so I switched...
Replies
Views
Hello. I am planning to build a small half bath in my garage, next to a washing machine, using old showers plumbing. There was a stand-alone shower in the garage which has been removed. Unfortunately the pipes are only 1.5" on that side of the house since there's no bathroom and the house is...
Replies
Views
Hi, So i have lived in my house for 20+ years, (1990 build) its a detached property, corner plot with various manholes in the garden. In the last year I've noticed i can hear when my neighbor flush their toilet through my downstairs toilet - this is a relatively new thing, so am assuming its...
Replies
Views
I am installing a sink in utility room. Washing machine waste already exists and is the verical pipe with the flexib pipe from the machine poked down the top and a with a u bend at the bottow going directly to outside drain. Is it OK to put a tee joint into the verical pipe and join the sink...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock