Search the forum,

Discuss Fitting a 12v solar element in to a calorifier. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

julynian

Hi there all plumbers & heating engineers.

We live on a boat with 740w of solar panels on the roof. At this time of year they can glean far more energy than we use, so we wan't to use this excess to warm water in our 15 Gal calorifier. Better known as dump load or diversion load.

There are 12v elements available which have what is described as a 1" NPT thread, some other 12v elements with 1.5 inch. We currently have a 240v element fitted which I believe is a standard 2.5 inch fitting.

My main question is, are there adaptors/reducers available to fit the calorifers 2.5" hole which reduce to 1" or 1.5 inch.

I do have a blank somewhere that was originally fitted to the tant with a raised hex nut. If there's not an adaptor available would tapping an appropriate 1 or i.5 inch NPT thread through the center be ok.

Many thanks in anticipation.

invertors are pretty inefficent if you cant get a adapter i would get a socket welded on to the blan plg as i doubt its thik enough to take a thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fitting a 12v solar element in to a calorifier. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Looking to see what iron pipe part can fit a 10mm ball joint? In this pic there is a part that connects the ball joint (or whatever they are called) to the 1/2 inch pipe. I am looking to connect to a 3/4 inch pipe. Are there any threads that do this? Thanks I have been told that in North...
Replies
Views
Hi, sorry this is so long. I have tried to give all relevant info. We are building a new, small, two-storey house that is off grid for power. There are only a few companies that do central heating systems locally, and they are aimed at the very top end of the market. We are at the lower end of...
Replies
Views
D
I wonder if anyone can help, I've tried several plumbers merchants to no avail. I have removed an old stopcock, (which seized long ago, with a newer stopcock just above) as it had been leaking from several places, mainly at the bottom where it joined the 3/4" threaded female end on rising main...
Replies
Views
My house was built in 1902 and still has a gravity fed system with a cold storage tank in the loft. Nowadays we have quite a small plastic storage tank (50 Imperial gallons) but the old tank was much, much bigger than this. The original tank started to leak when I was a child about 40 years ago...
Replies
Views
P
Hi people, I am trying to do a basic plumbing installation, and would like some pointers, as i have never done any plumbing in my life, and i want to do the job right and as simply as possible, without fuss, and preferrably without calling a plumber out. I want a challenge! I want to use...
Replies
Views
plonkerplumber
P
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock