Search the forum,

Discuss Fitter refusing to connect gas hob as gas meter is too close to electric in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
The title says it all really.

I had a new replacement gas hob and boiler fitted to an existing installation by a local Gas Safe engineer. However the hob failed (ignition circuitry malfunctioned) and whirlpool who manufactured it arranged to warranty replace the whole thing (there were loads of problems trying to get the part required).

The Whirlpool fitter came today, disconnected the old hob (during which time he switched off the mains so had access to the meter cupboard).

He then proceeded to remove the old hob and replace it with the new one.

He then said that the gas meter is too close to the electric meter so would not proceed with the connection to the gas as it is unsafe. He implied (I wasn't in, so my wife spoke with him) that it could not be connected until the gas and/or electric meter had been separated.

It is true that the gas meter is not 150mm away from the electric meter however this is an old house in which the meters were fitted many years ago - I believe before the intro of the regs that apply.

However I am now left without a hob(!).

My question is whether he is right to refuse to connect as the gas meter was sited before the regulations requiring a gap of 150mm came in and at the time complied with all relevant regs.

Many thanks - hoping for some guidance as I have a young family and could really do with cooking them some food(!)

Ben

Thanks Jonnyswamp

I was thinking of doing this - a non combustible barrier? I've got some marine ply hanging about, do you think that this is ok or do I need fire resistant board of some sort?

Still annoyed that he refused to fit - I'd imagine that having pre-regs meters sited close together is fairly common?

thanks again for the quick reply

Don't use ply as not fire resistant

Ridiculous to leave you without a hob for that, how is the hob a factor when a gas meter is too close to an electric meter. He ain't left you much choice really, just use a fire resistant board as said above.
I would make him another cup of tea in one of these:

image.jpg

Ridiculous to leave you without a hob for that, how is the hob a factor when a gas meter is too close to an electric meter. He ain't left you much choice really, just use a fire resistant board as said above.
I would make him another cup of tea in one of these:

View attachment 28108
My thoughts exactly - seems over zealous.

Think I'll box it in - seems like sensible safety precaution anyway.

That mug is ace... :)

Last edited:
Don't box the gas meter in, he'll come back and waffle on about compartment ventilation.

Use the fire resistant board to make a barrier between the 2 meters to stop them holding hands :17:

Extent the board up and out slightly between the meters, or box the electric meter in.

Last edited:
Don't box the gas meter in, he'll come back and waffle on about compartment ventilation.

Use the fire resistant board to make a barrier between the 2 meters to stop them holding hands :17:

Extent the board up and out slightly between the meters, or box the electric meter in.

Cheers for the advice. Much appreciated. :)

Or box the elec meter in and once he's finished remove it :D

The title says it all really.

I had a new replacement gas hob and boiler fitted to an existing installation by a local Gas Safe engineer. However the hob failed (ignition circuitry malfunctioned) and whirlpool who manufactured it arranged to warranty replace the whole thing (there were loads of problems trying to get the part required).

The Whirlpool fitter came today, disconnected the old hob (during which time he switched off the mains so had access to the meter cupboard).

He then proceeded to remove the old hob and replace it with the new one.

He then said that the gas meter is too close to the electric meter so would not proceed with the connection to the gas as it is unsafe. He implied (I wasn't in, so my wife spoke with him) that it could not be connected until the gas and/or electric meter had been separated.

It is true that the gas meter is not 150mm away from the electric meter however this is an old house in which the meters were fitted many years ago - I believe before the intro of the regs that apply.

However I am now left without a hob(!).

My question is whether he is right to refuse to connect as the gas meter was sited before the regulations requiring a gap of 150mm came in and at the time complied with all relevant regs.

Many thanks - hoping for some guidance as I have a young family and could really do with cooking them some food(!)

Ben

Just wondering if the whirlpool fitter is also gas safe registered

The bloke is being a dick. It is not even AR, it would be NCS under the old regime. he obviously ha something better to do, or it was getting late.

I've heard of companies not fitting cookers, down to cooker points being blown 750mm.

All this comes down to muppet training.

People who go to some training centre somewhere and do tick box, multi choice exams, misunderstand rules and regs, cannot think for themselves because they aren't Engineers, get obsessed with the CYA mentality of today's society and in the process, don't finish what they started because ' it's not their job' but hey, as long as the warning notice is signed !

Rant over, thanks for listening.

Basically he doesn't know what he's doing. Ask them to send another gas fitter who knows the rules, there are hundreds of thousands of gas and leccy metres "to close" to each other without any problems with connecting appliances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fitter refusing to connect gas hob as gas meter is too close to electric in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock