Search the forum,

Discuss First Year Apprentice Tool Kit Questions in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

breach

I just got myself a plumbing apprenticeship after a LONG, long search. I already had a few things, and know that I'll need to pick stuff up as I go, but to start off with, do you think this is ok? The guys Im working with all have massive kits, and then even more in their cars and at home. Ive found good use for all of this stuff so far, and I know I'll need to add some tin snips and pipe wrenches and adjustable wrenches. Anyone think of anything else though? Also, how many different sizes do you get for your adjustable and pipe wrenches? One site I was on seems to suggest having 3 sets of adjustables in 6/10/12" sizes, and pipe wrenches in 10/14/18" sizes. The company Im working for provides all the power tools I require

Tongue & Groove Pliers x2
Multi head screwdriver
Measuring Tape
Hack Saw
Utility Knife
Flashlight
Level

x2 300mm adjustable spanners
Water pump pliers
mini Power screwdriver
x2 short screwdrivers (for hard to get at things)
15mm pipe slice

You can do most things with this set of tools - mind you dont forget the other hundred you get to use once or twice a decade!

Dont fok around with the full spanner set it probably aint worth it !

The thread mentioned is a good starting point, with Mushybees kit being a good one to get.

As for having a kit without tapemeasure, hacksaw, basin wrench, blowtorch, Mehera are you sure you do plumbing ?

When asking for advice Breach make sure it comes from a reliable source, but then having gained an apprenticeship,(congratulations by the way), I am certain you have sufficient brain power to work that one out;)

Yeah by the way I recommend that you dont waste your time on an apprentiship like razal. Go go fast track, thats the way to do it today!!!

Unless you want to spend 4 years making tea for a clapped out fossil like 'BJ'!

Or become a doctor in the same time!

Cheers, thank you for the advice. I talked to one of the guys at work, and he said the key is to buy stuff gradually. Apparently a lot of apprentices go out and buy a bunch of stuff right away when they cant really afford it, and they end up using some of the stuff once a year. He said that for now, what Ive got is all I'll need, but to add a 5/16" ratchet to my kit. Im going to get a pair of adjustable spanners too, since I know I'll need those in the future.

Yeah by the way I recommend that you dont waste your time on an apprentiship like razal. Go go fast track, thats the way to do it today!!!

As I say, reliable info is required, sort out the wheat from the chaff.

Mehera only makes tea for himself.........all day cos he aint got anything else to do .:D

Cheers, thank you for the advice. I talked to one of the guys at work, and he said the key is to buy stuff gradually. Apparently a lot of apprentices go out and buy a bunch of stuff right away when they cant really afford it, and they end up using some of the stuff once a year. He said that for now, what Ive got is all I'll need, but to add a 5/16" ratchet to my kit. Im going to get a pair of adjustable spanners too, since I know I'll need those in the future.

It makes good sense.
I used my employer's tools for a while but go tired of having to leave what I was doing to go get a tool only for him to call out for it minutes later.
I'm glad I got my own kit together though because I was soon given more responsibility and doing work while he wasn't on site.

The best advice is to get good quality tools when you need them. Buying cheap stuff is just a false economy as you'll invariably have to replace them much sooner.
That said don't break the bank on things like screwdrivers because you will loose a couple no matter how dilligent you are.

dont take any notice of this guy hes obviously bitter about not being a city and guilds plumber and his description of the required tools for the job are laughable and sound the pearls of a DIY king

lol an apprenticeship is not a waste of time this guy has obviously been sniffin solvent weld :p

1st years dont need much tools but i'd suggest a tape measure, hacksaw, 2 shifting spanners that can go up to 22mm, pair of grips, cutters, blowtorch

although i didnt start buying most of my kit until 2nd year, used the tradesmens tools as they didnt expect you to go and buy tools with the money you made at the time.

Last edited:
lol an apprenticeship is not a waste of time this guy has obviously been sniffin solvent weld :p

1st years dont need much tools but i'd suggest a tape measure, hacksaw, 2 shifting spanners that can go up to 22mm, pair of grips, cutters, blowtorch

although i didnt start buying most of my kit until 2nd year, used the tradesmens tools as they didnt expect you to go and buy tools with the money you made at the time.

well said!

The OP was in 2008.They've probably gone back to their original jobs now.6k lighter!

I thought all apprentices needed was a kettle and a ready supply of teabags, milk, sugar and water, not forgetting ear defenders for all the rockets theyre gonna get fer forgetting the all for said items everyday!!!!!!!!
P.S. they are not called apprentices for the first year, they are all loveslaves

harsh! :)
some good points in these threads though.
i've got a fair amount of my own kit already. Its been tried and tested too.
the plumber that came to my house even borrowed my bender and blow torch.
gaining a bit of experience bit by bit and have photos of my work so far.
learned a lot in the process and am accumulating the tools as i come accross the need for them.

as a school leaver you can learn alot from just being around trades people and building sites. its 4 years for a reason, often the first year is learning the social skills to get along with adults after being in the school system for year. learning what the names of fittings and tools are etc. it obviously builds on this year after year until your final years you should be doing alot of your own work under supervision.
the year 5 its crikey, im on my own ,,heeeeeeellp

I think a lot of it being so long is that the original purpose was for college students etc.
Not saying their rate of learning is any different to the rest of us but realistically if we think about how often most of us use our algebra, literature, languages, basic mental mathematics and other things, the answer is probably NOT MUCH.
This may be way off base but even the comapanies offering fast-track are providing information, books, manuals, cd's, scenarios and such like. This takes time to read, understand, retain and apply.
My main point is that even though it might be advertised as fast track or such, i doubt many individuals will do it quickly at all.
Then of course there's the NVQ parts, work experience, customer building, personal skills, paperwork etc.
I doubt i'll get through the first one inside a year (even if i had 24/7 to do it)

Its tha same as when IT was booming, most perms went off contracting for the money, a load of new blood suddenly joined in with little skills, a weeks course and a multiple choice exam to their name and hey presto , they were suddenly making good money and causing grief for people like me that came up the long route.

I understand all peoples feelings on here.
I just hope to be one of the lucky one that gets given a chance nearer the time.

how much work experience do you get on ur course ? the college isnt the important part its the experience college isnt the real world

Inmy honest opinion one of the most valuable tools that all apprentices should be given is a Mason Master Rawl Plug Jumper, the older guys on this forum know what I mean as it has been discussed before, It is a truly cordless drill that was used before battery operated drills came along but if you wernt carfull you would batter yer hand to bits with a lump hammer that way these young whipper snappers can respect what us oldens had to go through when we where apprentices.

I remember wheni was a lad we had to get up at the.............................................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

the long weight

box of sparks

stripey paint

left handed hammer

left handed anything really

sky hooks

ive heard them all and fell for a few when i was young and on site.

to be perfectly Honest we keep forgetting the truly most important tool in our arsenal which is ourselves, with loads of trainning, experiance and unforgettable or unforgivable mistakes we slowly develop our selves into weapons of mass construction.

So all you loveslaves out there be nice to the grumpy old gits out there, cos they is yer best allies

the long weight

box of sparks

stripey paint

left handed hammer

left handed anything really

sky hooks

ive heard them all and fell for a few when i was young and on site.

Mooney

You forgot the all important water hammer every loveslave needs one of them in their toolbox

When working on site,a generater is all important.I once sent an aprentice to the hire centre for one that ran on electic.

Hmmmmmm.............

The next love slave i get is gonna get asked how to get Dihydrogen Monoxide out of water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to First Year Apprentice Tool Kit Questions in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock