Discuss Fire valve testing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Harryplumb

Evening all
Have recently done my Oftec course (101, 105e and 600a) and was wondering how many of you guys have gone out and bought a fire valve tester like they say you need. i.e keprotect sct-1. Pricey bits of kit at £295 + vat! Will be having a visit from the inspector soon so I guess I'll have to get one.
Cheers

Hot water and thermometer seems to be the choice of most people I have spoke to. What will the Oftec inspector have to say about this method though?

He'd probably recommend using the correct equipment but I can't say I know anyone who has actually bought the thing!

Jug of hot water from the kettle, good excuse for a cuppa.

Cheers for the response guys, think i'll wait to see what the oftec chap says before I do or don't buy one

£295 plus VAT, you gotta be joking. Anyone buying one of these must need their head looking at!

Kettle, mug, thermometer and hot water. No more unsafe than making a cup of tea.

Last edited:
I got together with my electrician and we made a tester up with a light bulb in a conduit box and a stem thermostat (variable). Just plug it in and away you go Cost £15.The oftec insp liked it too.

I've always used water, due to my liking of a cuppa and reluctance to spend cash! Oftec inspector fine with it though pointed out potentiol h&s problems, he sugested a heat gun with variable temp setting, though I never looked in to it any further.

That sounds great. Any chance you could post a picture of what you've made up? I have an electrician friend - he might make one up for me if I can show him a pic.

I got together with my electrician and we made a tester up with a light bulb in a conduit box and a stem thermostat (variable). Just plug it in and away you go Cost £15.The oftec insp liked it too.

That sounds a great idea! Any chance you could post a picture or two? I have an electrician friend too who might be persuaded to build me something like it if I can show him what it is.

I know the guy who invented the teddington firevalve tester.

might poke him to make me one :)

Now that they are only £165, I have bought one, after years of using a kettle. Now that I have it, I find it very useful for testing thermostats as well as fire valves. Has paid for itself many times over already.

I tried putting a clamp on my own fire valve and using a heat gun and it did work.

Just the one shot wonder wouldn't reset!

I wouldn't recommend using a heat gun as they can easily kill fire valves.

Why do they take 3 minutes to test on those gadgets! Surely it could heat it up in seconds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fire valve testing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back