Search the forum,

Discuss final answer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

damaan

Ok, so I have made my mind up: it is going to be a combi.
Any advice on the "best" one for 4 bed 2 bathrooms? Combination of price/quality/reliability/customer service?
Thanks to everybody who's helped me out thus far!

Well as we've said you're looking at something not really designed for your job so I'd be looking at a Combi with a store think most manufacturers will do one

Price/ quality/ reliability/customer service all equate to a good local heating engineer. When you find one, get quote for regular boiler and unvented cylinder.

Price/ quality/ reliability/customer service all equate to a good local heating engineer. When you find one, get quote for regular boiler and unvented cylinder.

So why is it when I have had 3 engineers come around (all highly recommended), I get 3 different answers? One says Worcester, one says Vallient and the last one said Baxi. Do they have their own agenda? Can I say that are 'good' local heating engineers if they have their own agenda. Are the boilers as good as each other or as bad as each other. There must be a definitive answer and there must be enough experience on this forum for an answer to be given.
Thanks.

Worcester highflow 550, expensive but will cope with two bathrooms as long as the incoming main is good. Also Worcester have the best after care of any boiler manufacturer, they actually honour their warranty and don't look for a reason to not repair it like many others.

Worcester highflow 550, expensive but will cope with two bathrooms as long as the incoming main is good. Also Worcester have the best after care of any boiler manufacturer, they actually honour their warranty and don't look for a reason to not repair it like many others.

Would 17-18L/min flow and a pressure of ~1.5bar be OK for a Worcester highflow 550?
Thanks.

no agendas every engineer has his favourite manufacturer and will aslways recommend that one first

Would 17-18L/min flow and a pressure of ~1.5bar be OK for a Worcester highflow 550?
Thanks.

Its capable of giving 25 l/min, the Highflow 440 may be better suited as it will give up to 20 l/min.

Op will not be told mate. Each to there own though. Every installer will have there preference and they will probably be able to offer extended warranties and the like through being a member of installer schemes etc further to above I would say Vaillant and I've never had a problem with their warranty or getting repairs done

So why is it when I have had 3 engineers come around (all highly recommended), I get 3 different answers? One says Worcester, one says Vallient and the last one said Baxi. Do they have their own agenda? Can I say that are 'good' local heating engineers if they have their own agenda. Are the boilers as good as each other or as bad as each other. There must be a definitive answer and there must be enough experience on this forum for an answer to be given.
Thanks.
Those of us made cynical by life's experience know that the best way to win work is to listen to client, repeat back what you've been told, reinforce any prejudices and depart telling client he's making a wise decision. This is what happens when clients expect quotations and associated advice FOC. In the motor trade its known as kiss 'em while you f--k ;em. But solicitors will use the same tactics, except you get a cup of coffee.
On this forum advice is free of financial consideration and might be more believable.
One point with High Flow combi's is the high flow obtained via thermal store only lasts until store is depleted. The method of calculating flow rates also varies. Some quote using a 40 degree rise in temp. other use a 35 degree rise. Irrespective of boiler design the continuous flow rate is determined by the heat output of boiler. For 11 litres/min raised 40 degree you should look for a 33Kw boiler. Pro-rata boiler size and flow rates accordingly.

Don't forget that after 10 years to rip it out or reduce the asking price of the house considerably before selling because future buyers will expect better flow rates for both bathrooms.

op if you want a combi have a look into storage combi's

viessman 111/222
glowworm 35 store etc

I have fitted high output combis in 2 bathroom houses before and the owners have been happy.
You have to know the limitations and how to work around it

Forget the Baxi!!! You really really putting a combi in that property?

I fitted a WB Greenstar 38 combi in a two bathroom, three, occasionally four occupants (two are teenage girls) they chose boiler after their own research, been in approx three years and they have never mentioned a problem or regret of there choice,
I recently stayed at a holiday cottage with two bathrooms with both showers running off combi there was four of us and you had no water in one shower if the other was being used .
as stated earlier you have to adapt to the situation if you chose the combi option its no different to someone running the kitchen hot or indeed cold tap whilst shower running.
Just because you have two bathrooms you dont necessarily have to run both showers/bath at the same time

Last edited by a moderator:
WB have probably the best technical back up in a least they answer the phone quickly, Ideal logic + range also seem ok so far as indeed Glow-worm which is basically a cheaper version of a Valiant.
most boilers are fine as long as system is clean and a decent filter fitted/inhibiter , water scale , mini expansion if you have water meter. I also like the air separators on the flow but more so on open vented system

no agendas every engineer has his favourite manufacturer and will aslways recommend that one first

Surely that an "agenda" by definition? I am currently living in one of my rental properties whilst waiting for completion on another. It's a small 90 m2 bungalow and has a WB Combi. I am so over waiting for litres of water to warm up hot enough to use! Such a waste.

Try turning on the pre heat or fit a combi mate/flow save if you are on a water meter

I have a "combi save" on my Atag A325EC in my house chose it as it has the built in pre heater from the flue gases.
Be interesting to work out just how much water/energy the "combi save", saves unless of course someone on this forum knows !

Last edited by a moderator:
combi is fine aslong as you accept its limitations of realistically one hot output at a time. Worcester cdi classic 33kw will be fine, if your fitting anything bigger to try and cope with 2 bathrooms you shouldn't be fitting a combi. so if a combi is what your set on go for a 30-34kw it will will be ample for 1 output. but like others said unvented cylinder is best option on multi bathroom property

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to final answer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock