Search the forum,

Discuss Fill and expansion wrong way around causing air ingress? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjn

I am receiving conflicting advice on whether the fill and expansion pipes on our new system are the wrong way around and the cause of air noise at the pump weeks after installation as well as the magnaclean keep gaining air.

We frequently get air bubbling noise in the pump even after repeated bleeding of rads and other vents including the magnaclean fitted downstairs above boiler (system has 18 rads).

This is the current arrangement so any thoughts on whether the fill/expansion are the wrong way around on the 'H' arrangement and whether that could allow air to be drawn in:

Pump pipes.jpg

Edit ..... brain fart , earlier reply wrong . sorry yes its wrong vent first , then fill , then pump , ideally on horizontal pipe work and closer together if poss and ditch the two elbows if poss

Last edited:
Can we see a more distanced photo? Also how far away is the tank from the pump (very long shot that its pulling air through)

Ideally it would be on horizontal pipe work and all closer together .

Thanks for the info so far and sorry for the delay in replying - notifications end up in the spam folder.

A wider view is:
Pipework.jpg

The height from the pump body to the bottom of the expansion tank is 2.35m (and almost directly above in the loft). The top of the expansion pipe loop is 0.4m above the tank water level.

Even to me the fact that the pump is pulling on the vent instead of feed seems odd but I wasn't sure if that would be enough to cause the air issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fill and expansion wrong way around causing air ingress? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

When I turn on our CH there's a lot of noise from one specific part of the system - the pipes on the landing, and one radiator. It sounds like air, and the landing radiator needs bleeding regularly (about once a month), even though it isn't the highest point in the system. The two upright rads...
Replies
Views
Oil boiler (now~15 years old) unvented system with 17 radiators. We moved in 5 years ago and I had to keep bleeding the same radiator. The bleed gas could be burned with a blue flame and the water was acidic (pH 5.5). Since then system has been chemically flushed (it was not too bad) and the...
Replies
Views
Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a gravity fed conventional gas fired boiler (Potterton Kingfisher MF). The boiler is fed cold water from the loft water reservoir tank (which also feeds the cold water taps in the bathroom & the WC cistern). There is an expansion vessel attached to this...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise coming from my copper water pipes when no water is being used? It basically sounds like the noise you hear after the water shuts off when your toilet bowl...
Replies
Views
Context for issue: Last winter the temperature switch on my boiler shorted somehow, the boiler was then running WAY too hot and ended up blowing/melting a hole in one of the pipes. I repaired this by putting in a new stretch of pipe in and just connecting it to the existing pipes with two...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock