Search the forum,

Discuss Ferrolli Optimax 25 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2053

JUst had a call from the father of a customer. He has one of these units running off LPG. Apparently every time he allows the gas to run out he needs a new circuit board???????? This has happened 7 times in 4 years, and understandably he is not best chuffed. He is certain that changing the board was what fixed it as he has watched the engineer, so this does not appear to be a case of the thing being purged when he is not looking and him being ripped off for the cost of a new board. However from the way he describes the fault and the current sequence of events on the boiler it DOES sound as if the spark unit has failed. Anyone had any similar experiences with this boiler? I usually try and run away when I hear the name Ferrolli!

Doesn't sound reasonable, more like the UPSO (under pressure shut off) needs resetting. If that were the case I'd be looking to Ferroli to be paying as the boiler wouldn't be fit for purpose.

Sorry should have headed that one off by saying that he has a cooker slightly downstream of the boiler which is working fine, so we know the gas is there. He can also see the gas rate on the hob drop when the boiler tries to light which implies that the gas valve is opening correctly - and a lot of negatives as well!!! Let's leave the issue of pipe sizing out of this discussion. Were I not away on holiday I would be round there testing the inlet pressures....

Having said that, I suppose there is always the possibility there is a problem with the main regulator, and not with the boiler at all.

Does the Boiler just keep sparking when the gas goes off? It should try lighting half a dozen times then lock out. If it keeps sparking non stop the spark generator will overheat and burn out. Another great design!

You have probably hit the nail on the head saying this doesn't go to lock out and burns out the spark unit. Thanks.

The boiler was designed for natural gas which does not run out!

This occurs on several boilers when the gas runs out. The boiler will keep trying to light and eventually wrecks the PCB as you have found out. It is common in rented student accomodation when they are on a card meter. When the funds on the card run out the PCB goes with it after some time. Keeps me busy though:)
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ferrolli Optimax 25 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a gas warning notice for at risk as the outside wall meter box has been drilled through for the gas pipe to go horizontal straight to the boiler. The...
Replies
Views
Not sure what my options are here. Basically a friend of mine recommended his father in law to do our plumbing/gas work for our renovation. First job was to install a new boiler, and later install radiators, bathroom, kitchen, etc. The boiler was installed last September but not switched on as...
Replies
Views
Had our gas Baxi Combi inspected and serviced today, as it has been every year. Gas safety cert issued and says all okay, but engineer gave what I think was very... ambiguous... advice. 12yo boiler with the following readings on the analyser printout: O2% = 4.1 CO ppm = 192 CO2% = 9.5 Ratio =...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking to see if anyone can give some advice please. My Baxi boiler has been losing pressure and I am having to top it up approx. every 4 hours from 0-1.5 bar each time. This has been going on a week now. I have also started to notice small drips running down my condensate pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, would appreciate any thoughts on the below. I have an almost 10yr old Ferroli Modena 32S HE system boiler. (I am aware of their reputation! ) 2 weeks ago HW went lukewarm. When HW was called, the rads came on. The cylinder motorised valve has been replaced today, but it's not fixed the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock