Search the forum,

Discuss Ferroli Optimax HE 31C New Boiler required? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dtc016

Sorry if this is not in the right section...I am not a plumber, but a consumer. Here is the story so far:

My mother is having problems with the Ferroli Optimax HE 31C gas boiler installed in her house. I employed a local tradesman to install the central heating and boiler system, in December 2008, and I assumed (foolishly) that he would arrange for the correct documentation etc ..to be completed. However, this was not the case and I suppose that I should be grateful that Ferroli sent out an engineer on acouple of occasions to repair the boiler in the first couple of years without my mother being able to produce the paperwork. The persistent fault code and usual problem is F35 which “signifies an electrical frequency error on the pcb”according to Ferroli. Now the boiler has packed up again, and the F35 code is showing again. Another local plumber has looked at the system and informed me that I need to buy a new boiler. I have been quoted £2400 from British Gas (Potterton Promax 28+) and this really seems expensive.

I was looking to get a servicing contract from them as they are advertised as “from £11 permonth” .. but as the boiler needs to be repaired the best they can offer is £30.13 per month!

I was looking to get a one off repair through BG at £79.. but they then told me that this was only if the repair could be completed within a certain time .. if it took longer than 30 minutes it would rise to £199 or even to £409 !! As I have no idea how long this repair would take .. I am wondering if the “best” solution would be to buy a new boiler… Any advice on this matter would be appreciated.

John

Last edited by a moderator:
British Gas will have quoted you approx twice as much as a local engineer would have to fit new boiler. Why do people still go down this route?

Anyway, get a quote for a new boiler from an independant engineer, preferably recommended, you'll probably get a better boiler and better standard of work than from BG. where are you located?

Last edited by a moderator:
My mother's house is near the ***bria / Northumbria border. Am I right to be wary of Ferroli, in your opinion?

What make and model of boiler would you recommend (3 bed semi-detached, ex council house)?

the promax is basically a duotec 1 and is a absolutely cracking boiler,one of the best you can buy,the ferroli is tat,and bg are charging far to much,get a good independent gas engineer to fit you either a duotec 1 HEA or potterton titanium both now come with a 7 year warranty

So is there any point in me trying to get the Ferroli repaired?

They are total rubbish as said. never fitted one for that reason but have been out to loads.

they are cheap allowing the installer to give you a cheap quote and make a bit of ££ on it. Shame as most customers have no idea and go with the installers recommendations

Intergas for me too :)

its a false economy going for a cheaper brand.

as for ferroli boilers, they are good for one thing, seeing how far you can throw them into a skip!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ferroli Optimax HE 31C New Boiler required? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock