Search the forum,

Discuss Faulty gas meter, under reading in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jones82

Gas Engineer
Hi all

I nearly posted this story in the open forum but thought it’s better here. Forgive some vaugeness as this was a couple of months ago now.

I was doing a gas safety check for a land lord when I discovered the meter was under reading, an lfe fire came out at 3kw on full and the combi only about 10kw when I gas rated them. Double checked everything including standing and working pressures at the appliance and gas meter. Fga etc all normal.

I noticed the meter was making a strange clicking sound as the number ticked round, I can’t describe it, just different.

I concluded the meter was under reading and reported it to the supplier. Whilst on the phone they seemed to be worried that someone had tampered with it. I explained this wasn’t the case, it’s just a mechanical fault on the meter itself.

They said they’d be out in 2 hours.

Now this is the bit that troubles me.

I spoke to the tenant about a different issue a few weeks later and he said they came out and basically didn’t do anything “ It’s not my problem mate, it’s not been tampered with and it’s safe so we’ll just leave it” even joking it was good for him as could mean a lower gas bill.....

The way I look at it I did everything I could at my end and the installation is safe... it just bothers me... Anyone else had this?

Forgot to mention, the meter is in a meter box buried in the garden surrounded by soil and overhanging plants and it’s likely the damp causing the wheels to spin slow... imho

Hi all

I nearly posted this story in the open forum but thought it’s better here. Forgive some vaugeness as this was a couple of months ago now.

I was doing a gas safety check for a land lord when I discovered the meter was under reading, an lfe fire came out at 3kw on full and the combi only about 10kw when I gas rated them. Double checked everything including standing and working pressures at the appliance and gas meter. Fga etc all normal.

I noticed the meter was making a strange clicking sound as the number ticked round, I can’t describe it, just different.

I concluded the meter was under reading and reported it to the supplier. Whilst on the phone they seemed to be worried that someone had tampered with it. I explained this wasn’t the case, it’s just a mechanical fault on the meter itself.

They said they’d be out in 2 hours.

Now this is the bit that troubles me.

I spoke to the tenant about a different issue a few weeks later and he said they came out and basically didn’t do anything “ It’s not my problem mate, it’s not been tampered with and it’s safe so we’ll just leave it” even joking it was good for him as could mean a lower gas bill...

The way I look at it I did everything I could at my end and the installation is safe... it just bothers me... Anyone else had this?

Forgot to mention, the meter is in a meter box buried in the garden surrounded by soil and overhanging plants and it’s likely the damp causing the wheels to spin slow... imho

Can you get me one for home ? lol, Not your problem if supplier is not bothered why should you.?

I reported one doing the same last year and they did come change it .

Yeah exactly it’s just one of them jobs that goes round my head. Thanks good to have a second opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Faulty gas meter, under reading in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a gas warning notice for at risk as the outside wall meter box has been drilled through for the gas pipe to go horizontal straight to the boiler. The...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I’m just DIYing a bathroom refurb and came across this blanked off pipe in the wall that protrudes out about 2cm. The previous owners tiled round it and left it exposed which makes me think that it was left in situ on purpose. We don’t actually use gas in the house and don’t have a...
Replies
Views
I had to gas rate on an E6 meter in a dark, muddy basement the other day. No place to put down tools. I stayed there for two minutes only to find out the meter index had not updated at all. Obviously the cooker was burning gas. I press the red button at the beginning and the end. Has anyone...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the radiators but still gave hot water to the shower and taps. Naturally we thought there was a fault with the boiler. We had already arranged a yearly...
Replies
Views
I had a boiler check today all went well, and then he went to check on the gas meter which is in my larder in the kitchen high up on the wall. That wasn’t too much of an issue, although the gas engineer did say that it wasn’t a common place to have it, but it was there when we moved in so...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock