Search the forum,

Discuss Fair Pricing for work done? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leezygeezer

Gas Engineer
so I have been asked to fit an electric shower, pipe work needs chasing into wall and re routing, electrics already there (bonus) and to change a defective stopcock (it's top floor of a block of flats ) customer bought the shower.

So my question is, what would you guys charge for a job like this? I usually undercharge and end up kicking myself in the nuts! :(

A day if not much tiling and easy stop tap change

Or day and half if hard

No tiling necessary, pipe work is tricky due to limited access behind basin pedestal and pan/cistern assembly, I was gonna charge ÂŁ150, just want to be sure I don't massively under/over charge

No tiling necessary, pipe work is tricky due to limited access behind basin pedestal and pan/cistern assembly, I was gonna charge ÂŁ150, just want to be sure I don't massively under/over charge

Hard without seeing it , but it sounds loads to cheap , especially if you are supplying the copper and stoptap .

I would price higher but depends on your day rate ?

I do very little private work now so I find it difficult to price accurately, 2 lengths of pipe plus fittings and sundries, stopcock supplied by customer.
Thanks for the feedback guys

ÂŁ200 + materials bud if your doing it to supplement your income on top of your day job then may be you could go a bit lower most sole traders charge between ÂŁ20 - ÂŁ30 a hour in this neck of the woods . the bigger companies I sometimes sub to can charge ÂŁ45- ÂŁ55 depending on what it is boiler repairs are charged higher , general plumbing a lower amount hope this helps regards kop.

I'd say that you were well low on the pricing but it depends on what YOU need out of the job? We all have different expenses and overheads so know what we need to turnover a day to ensure a profit.

My day rate is ÂŁ250-ÂŁ300 or ÂŁ65 an hour and that is up in the north east in Skegvegas. Inside M25 I would be wanting half again on top of that and then materials!

Only you know what you need from your business/on the side work. Is it beer tokens or are you setting aside capital to go alone? If so then you always need to consider your tax, N.I, business expenses and profit on each and every job. Thats why you need to spend some time working out ALL of your costs (you'lll be surprised how many you actually have and never give it a thought, right down to screws, plugs and PTFE. Seems trivial but it all adds up)

Happy to help if you need any more advice.

Jon

A VERY VERY rough example but it may help you out.

Yearly Expenses:

Insurances - ÂŁ1200
Fuel - ÂŁ3500
Van - ÂŁ3350 (ÂŁ10k van over 3 years)
Vehicle maintenance - ÂŁ500
Road Tax - ÂŁ250
Training - ÂŁ500 (ACS over 5 years plus other courses)
Phone bill - ÂŁ1000
Tooling and Clothing - ÂŁ2000
Day 2 Day Sundries - ÂŁ500
Administration - ÂŁ800

Just these total: ÂŁ13,600 (bare with me as these are just examples)

So you need to make ÂŁ13,600 before you have even started to look at a profit.

Assuming that you work 46 weeks a year (allowing for holiday and sickness) and Monday to Friday that's 230 days per year to earn this. I allow a 4 day week though as you are never always fully booked day in day out but it averages out so... 184 days to earn this!

That's ÂŁ74 a day before you even earn a crust!!

Good news is you can offset that on tax though but you still need to pay your bills and make a profit so lets say you have a mortgage and a family of 2.4 kids.

Bills will be say ÂŁ1000 a month so that's another ÂŁ12k a year needed so another ÂŁ65 a day to earn.

Total so far ÂŁ139 per day just to live and stay afloat!

Then you want to make a profit to expand the company or pay off mortgage quicker or put the kids through uni so lets say ÂŁ10k profit a year. That's another ÂŁ54 per day.

Total so far ÂŁ193 per day.

And don't forget the tax man will want his share too!!!

Please bare in mind that these are very rough, plucked out the air figures, and I'm sure there's plenty I've missed, but should give you some idea of what you need to do to work out what your day rate needs to be to be beneficial to YOU.

Jon

Thanks for the info, fortunately my overheads are very low :), I have done a fair amount of work for this guy over the years as well so I didn't want to spank him or anything, but I also don't want to devalue my work.
I think I'll stick with the ÂŁ150, I wanted to make sure I didn't overcharge more than anything else.

Plus I have another job coming up for him soon, which will be drain down of sealed system and taking out 6 imperial rads and fitting 6 replacement metrics. Which means some tricky pipe connections. Might have to ask advice for a price on that one too!! All rads and valves supplied by customer so minimal sundries on my part, other than pipe, screws, solder, flux, fittings, chemicals etc.

My labour is always more expensive when the customer suppliers the materials. Make sure that you make it perfectly clear that if the stuff is wrong he will still get charged that days labour plus any extra labour needed to fit the stuff.

Make sure you have insurance cover, anything goes wrong on top floor of flats would not want to think of consequences. My insurer kindly told me after 10 years with them that I could not do plumbing in buildings with more than 3 stories, including basements and loft. Asked why the changes, they said there are so many starting own plumbing business and massive payouts that they were restricting cover. Had to go elsewhere. Worth checking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fair Pricing for work done? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Size of bathroom 230cm x 210cm Height 230cm Birmingham Area Initial problem Burst pipe underground in bathroom, concrete. Have had this dug up & made safe for now, have had affected pipe cut & put end caps on. Work required Full bathroom remove old tiles walls and floor. Renew tiling. New...
Replies
Views
J
I own a top floor flat in a 4 storey block, i bought it 3 months ago (meaning that this is an issue i will have to personally deal with, no landlord). at first i had no issues, but recently, we have no warm/hot water in our kitchen or bath taps. the bathroom sink hot tap gets warm, and the...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage turned into a flat, heating both flat and main house, running c plan with two pumps, two motorised valves simple bi-metal thermostat on wall in flat with 4 standard TRV's rarely used so not worried about the flat, and main house has Nest Gen 3 in the...
Replies
Views
Where and how does the water supply work and is there only one rising main pipe and where is it usually located? I am top floor flat, mains fed supply and all 6 in the block have a shared rising main pipe (I think unless there is meant to be more than one). Kitchen: From the ground floor to...
Replies
Views
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the radiators but still gave hot water to the shower and taps. Naturally we thought there was a fault with the boiler. We had already arranged a yearly...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock