Search the forum,

Discuss Failed Plastic fitting? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tarquin

Woken this morning to the screams of my missus as the recently fitted downstairs bathroom filled with water that gushed from behind the unit holding the sink!

Having recently fitted a proper pressure reducing valve under the bath to serve the shower, returning the isolation valve to full on has obviously exposed a weakness up the line. I'm hoping that it's just a 90 degree HEP angle that wasn't properly tightened and that without too much trouble i'll be able to get a small fingered family member to sort.

Had this happened when we were out the damage would have been astronomic so I need to ensure the repair is done with confidence that it won't fail again.

Apart from being poorly tightened are there other reasons that I should consider for the joints failure?

Hep2o fittings are push fit so there is nothing to tighten.

You can't beat a good flexible hose for diy work IMO

purchase a hep2o bend new ones are good just push fit make sure sleeves are in the pipes

GOOD tip to make sure is put the fitting against the pipe and mark where it should go up to so once you put the pipe inside you know once it reaches your mark that its fully in

Yes because its all interchangeable with copper.however any warranty is void if you mix and match. I've seen it on numerous occasions and it seems ok but i wouldn't do it myself. I think the issue lies with the grab rings and different hardness of pipes used by different manufacturers rather than the diameter

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, a little knowledge along with the internet is a dangerous (and often expensive) thing!

GOOD tip to make sure is put the fitting against the pipe and mark where it should go up to so once you put the pipe inside you know once it reaches your mark that its fully in

Good tip this one (and what I was taught). First thing is to cut the pipe on the next (or previous) mark!

With the new Hep2o fittings, the inserts are ridged so when the pipe is fully inserted, when twisting the pipe, you can feel the ridges on the insert. Just mind & use the new inserts with the new Hep2o fittings. The flat inserts are no good unless going onto compression.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - Couple a' Tools

I'd personally use copper and soldered fittings if it's in a place that's not accessible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Failed Plastic fitting? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have spent an inordinate amount of time trying to work out the best approach to fitting valves to my new towel rail, but i just don’t have the experience to know the best approach and would appreciate input from you guys. If i get this wrong, it’s going to be a major PITA to correct...
Replies
Views
Hi, I've only just registered on this forum and hope there is someone out there that can help. I've just dismantled an old kitchen in our house ready for a new one to be installed. In the process, i unearthed a stopcock connected to the incoming water supply pipe which comes up in the middle of...
Replies
Views
Hi, Guys, Retired from the trade, I had a "major supplier" fit a kitchen recently. Their plumber's work was appalling. The kitchen fitting company couldn't see a problem. Let's have a few opinions here. The plumber was about 28, had been working for 8 years, and he did this passover bend-...
Replies
Views
Hi New here, so hello to all. I am to replace a kitchen mixer tap which has been in since the house was built 4 years ago. Upon inspection, the plumbing doesn't include isolation valves so I need to cut off all water to the house. Before I go ahead and fit this I want to take the...
Replies
Views
Hi folks, Installing a new towel rail and it has two valves at the bottom that screw up into the towel rail with 90 degree valve taps on them, when I ptfe and tighten them it all works fine, they just reach fully tightened position at wonky directions. How can I ensure they tighten at nice 90...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock