Search the forum,

Discuss External soil stack below window in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Grale

Today I have had my internal soil stack removed and a new one fitted externally.

The soil pipe ends below my bathroom window with what i think is a durco valve fitted.

Several people have stated this does not meet building regs

2 questions

1) Is it within regulations to terminate the pipe below a window

2) using the durco valve, doesn't this stop the release of gasses. I though the idea was to allow free flow of gasses out of the top

Attachments

• 20170321_192729.jpg
    20170321_192729.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 20170321_192737.jpg
    20170321_192737.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 35
Who's the several people?

Spoke to the guy that did the work?

did you get permission to change the out look of the property? you might not need it!
not suposed to use durgo valve outside as the jam with dust.
vent stack is not above toilet bowl either!

its an air admittance valve

(one way) lets air in but nothing out

but a few more faults best get him back

Who? not builders and the reason i'm asking on here for professional opinions.

Not spoken to the guy yet as it may be a non issue.

toiletValve.jpg

the basin waste is not far enough away from the pan branch >200mm.
the top of the durgo should be min 100mm above opening window. (but there not recomended for outside as they jam open).

So you recommend taking the pipe above the window with an open vent in the soil pipe?

Thank you for your help.

So you recommend taking the pipe above the window with an open vent in the soil pipe?

Thank you for your help.

no, you need a meter above window opening without durgo.
its not installed correctly either way, typical builders own regs with picture teaching and no theory lessons!
soil stack changing comes under planning consent too from internal to external, but you might get away with it unless your selling up soon!

Sorry lads, but you can use a durgo externally. It must be rated for outside use, so it won't freeze in winter. Even though a natural vent is better, as it lets the drain vent both directions.
There might be a good reason why it hasn't been taken throgh, or offset round the soffit. But as a minimum it should have been tight under the eaves.
Must have been short of pipe, or a good ladder :sosp:

Sorry lads, but you can use a durgo externally. It must be rated for outside use, so it won't freeze in winter. Even though a natural vent is better, as it lets the drain vent both directions.
There might be a good reason why it hasn't been taken throgh, or offset round the soffit. But as a minimum it should have been tight under the eaves.

i know but it advises not to be used externally as they freeze or eventually jamb with dust and need exchanging! job half done imo.

i know but it advises not to be used externally as they freeze or eventually jamb with dust and need exchanging! job half done imo.

I agree, always best to run a propper vent to atmosphere. But the answer is, you can use a durgo outside.

I agree, always best to run a propper vent to atmosphere. But the answer is, you can use a durgo outside.

Who? not builders and the reason i'm asking on here for professional opinions.

Not spoken to the guy yet as it may be a non issue.

Still didn't say who the several people were.

Building Regulations Part H (2015) still states the following -
1.33 Ventilated discharge stacks may be terminated inside a building when fitted with air admittance valves complying with BS EN 12380:2002. Where these valves are used they should not adversely affect the amount of ventilation necessary for the below ground system which is normally provided by open stacks of the sanitary pipework. Air admittance valves should be located in areas which have adequate ventilation, should be accessible for maintenance and should be removable to give access for clearance of blockages. Air admittance valves should not be used outside buildings or in dust laden atmospheres. Where there is no open ventilation on a drainage system or through connected drains, alternative arrangements to relieve positive pressures should be considered.
Page 10 of H1

ttps://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/442889/BR_PDF_AD_H_2015.pdf

Last edited:
1.33 Ventilated discharge stacks may be terminated inside a building when fitted with air admittance valves complying with BS EN 12380:2002. Where these valves are used they should not adversely affect the amount of ventilation necessary for the below ground system which is normally provided by open stacks of the sanitary pipework. Air admittance valves should be located in areas which have adequate ventilation, should be accessible for maintenance and should be removable to give access for clearance of blockages. Air admittance valves should not be used outside buildings or in dust laden atmospheres. Where there is no open ventilation on a drainage system or through connected drains, alternative arrangements to relieve positive pressures should be considered.
Page 10 of H1

i knew i knew that from somewhere ingrained.lol

Page 10 of H1
Looks like your right Chris.
A lot of "should's" in there! No mention of must, or must not.

Regardless of Durgo or not to Durgo, you will "defo" need building control approval to sign the work off and usually you will need planning permission to move or install a soil stack to the outside of a building and make a new connection to the sewer. Also a little known fact is that not to do so will invalidate your buildings insurance and may contravene the conditions of any mortgage. Best make a quick phone call to the council imho.

Looks like your right Chris.
A lot of "should's" in there! No mention of must, or must not.

As there always is with them but I think we can all agree even if the Durgo is approved for external use & there is ventilation at the head of the run etc, etc, why or why wouldn't you just stick an open vent pipe up to terminate above the top floor window ? it really is a no brainer.

Regardless of Durgo or not to Durgo, you will "defo" need building control approval to sign the work off and usually you will need planning permission to move or install a soil stack to the outside of a building and make a new connection to the sewer. Also a little known fact is that not to do so will invalidate your buildings insurance and may contravene the conditions of any mortgage. Best make a quick phone call to the council imho.

Thought i'd update the outcome.
Council came and checked the work last week and gave approval and signed it off.

Now, he was happy with the way it was done and was happy to sign it off there and then. I was very surprised after the comments here about the Durgo valve and the pipe being lower than the toilet waste. Anyway he did recommend that the pipe was extended above the gutter and left open naturally and remove the Durgo as they are troublesome. They either work or they don't and as we were getting drain smells back in the house i did as he recommended and extended the pipe and left it open.

I do think the council were more interested in the money than what had been done. It wasn't cheap for a 5 minute visit!!

Thanks all for the help and recommendations. Much happier now :)

Thanks for coming back and updating the forum with the outcome.
Surprising how many people use the advice on here without so much as a thankyou.

Reactions: rpm
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to External soil stack below window in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I'm wondering if this is allowed or will work in the UK. We currently have all our waste water connecting to a single vented stack. The pipes from the toilets etc connect to the vertical stack via a horizontal pipe as you would expect. I'm about to renew all the soil pipes. We have 2 entry...
Replies
Views
Morning all, as always can never find an exact existing thread / discussion where I don't feel like I'm making one too many assumptions. Can I get a quick sense check on the below, always wanting to work 1 step ahead, eventually planning to add an en-suite to my existing loft conversion. Got...
Replies
Views
Engineer has installed several boilers for me. All the condensate pipes have been connected externally into soil stack or rain water downpipe. In each case he just drilled a hole in the pipe, and stuck the condensate in the side, smeared glue everywhere. No boss, or branch. Is this allowed, is...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have an old toilet on the top floor (to be removed) which empties into an outdoor vertical SVP and into the ground. The pipe is straight with a vent terminal on top. Another toilet on the ground floor empties through the suspended timber floor into (what I suspect) a drain. I wish...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Following a first-floor bathroom remodel done poorly by a plumber in our house a couple of years ago I have stripped everything out and I'm starting over and plan to install our original 'vision' carefully and properly. I found that the 110mm vent stack was terminated just below a hole in the...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock