Search the forum,

Discuss Expansion Vessel size ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Francis.

Engineer
I have an underfloor heating system of 720M of 16mm Alpe pipe & only short 2M runs of 28mm pipe to a Ground source heat pump.
Absolute maximum temp rise of 65 degrees more probable 40 degrees.

What size should the expansion vessel be ?

If I remember right about 2 litres should be fine

Your underfloor supply should tell you how much there Pipework needs

A system expands by 4% when heated but rather than work out the volume of the system I'd fit an 8 or 12 lite vessel. It's always better to have more than you need!

You should also take into account the pressure on the vessel from the head of water above it. For example a vessel in a cellar will have more head / pressure on it than one in a loft.

The manufacturers have technical advise lines you can call so if you have any doubt ask them.

Just worked this out

ufh is a total volume of 88 litres
Pipework 2.5 so we will round up to 3
Gshp let's say also 2.5 so round upto 3

So total volume aprox 94 litres

Dived that by 100 = 0.94 * 4 = 3.74 litres needed for expansion (approximately)

Thankyou very much for all your answers. I agree that it's better to be slightly over the top , but totally over the top is unsightly & unnecessary.
As I understand it pressure grows by 1 bar in every 10M dropped so I can't see any problems there.
Many thanks again...

Thankyou very much for all your answers. I agree that it's better to be slightly over the top , but totally over the top is unsightly & unnecessary.
As I understand it pressure grows by 1 bar in every 10M dropped so I can't see any problems there.
Many thanks again...
True that 10M of head produces 1 bar of pressure but that is static head and not influanced by heat. The pressure increase by 4.5% as the heated water expands from 1° to 100°. We normally use 4% in our calculations as the max heating temp of a boiler is aprox 80°. I worked out almost like for like as ShaunCorbs has. So I would be installing a 4ltr. It is only allows a 0.25ltr buffer but given the lower temp it should easily cope. Or a 4.5ltr if there is an unusually amount of head. Just make sure you fit a 3bar PRV aswell.

Isn't 3 bar a bit low for the PRV ? The underfloor pipes have been tested to 10 Bar & left on test at over 6Bar for weeks.
The incoming main now has a pressure reducing valve set at just above 3Bar, this will only connect during initial commissioning & maybe during maintenance, so would you expect the prv to blow at this time ?

No this is to protect your boiler. The expansion vessel will be pre charged at approximately 1 bar to neutralise the internal pressure of the system which will also be charged to 1 bar + 0.1bar per metre of head. And then there will only be around 0.5-1bar of intetnal expansion under full rate usage. So under normal usage the pressure will be between 1&2 bar. Boilers have a 3bar max rating.

Thankyou very much for that Darren.
I can see that the system would work fine off a header tank but expansion vessels & closed systems seem more the in thing these days.
I'll have to get to reading the ground source pump manual to check on it's recommended working limits.
Many thanks again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Expansion Vessel size ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a gravity fed conventional gas fired boiler (Potterton Kingfisher MF). The boiler is fed cold water from the loft water reservoir tank (which also feeds the cold water taps in the bathroom & the WC cistern). There is an expansion vessel attached to this...
Replies
Views
Hi All, We have finally decided after a bit of a persuasion to have installed a utility room in our garage that currently houses our oil boiler. Initially we thought the boiler may stay in place but after discussions with the builder we would have to move the boiler to replace the floor and...
Replies
Views
Hello friends - I really struggle to understand my heating and hot water system I posted my question on Diynot but it ended up being five pages and couldnt get to the bottom of it and I thought worth asking the elders on here for their view - Hot water temp is 40 Degrees - Ideal Mexico 2...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Looking for a bit of advice on the best way to pipe this. - 24kW Worcester regular boiler in kitchen, approx. 9 years old - unvented tank, zone vavles, pump, expansion is on first floor in airing cupboard - Currently piped as S-plan. - Hive controls. - Would like to fit 6-zone...
Replies
Views
B
Context for issue: I'd like to start by saying I'd rather not read 100 "Hire a professional comments", I will do that when/if it comes to it, but I'd like to do it myself if possible. All images for system here: https://*********/a/ngPQkre Last winter the temperature switch on my boiler...
Replies
Views
Butchy10
B
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock