Search the forum,

Discuss estate cars for work in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
been offered a good deal on a newish focus estate so i was thinking about getting it sign written and using it for work. It'l be cheaper on severn bridge tolls if im working on the other side of the border and the size is fine but from a customers point of view does anyone think turning up in an estate instead of a van might seem a bit unprofessional? Cant really afford to run the van and a car but could really do with the extra seats outside of work.

depends on what kinda work your up to. If it just servicing I'd say fine. Otherwise I think you'll b caught out space wise

I don't think its a great advert for you business personally. I think Masood started off with a car, he might be the man to ask.

I think if it is sign written properly so people know it's your work vehicle rather than just your normal car with a sticker on it then is ok, when i see the ADT estate cars driving around, i don't think they look unprofessional

Looks fine if all the windows rear of the B pillar are covered and or sign written, in other words it looks like a small panel van.

Looks fine if all the windows rear of the B pillar are covered and or sign written, in other words it looks like a small panel van.

its a white car so was thinking of whiting out the back windows. Anyone know what the stuff is id need to white the windows out?

anyone seen an estate with the back windows covered white? do they look vanlike? its one of these btw focus1.jpg

The one I saw was a grey or silver estate and it looked professional. Only problem with yours I think is the pillars are black so white window decals will look obvious but you should be able to get the pillars covered too.

Besides the fact it doesn't look professional there is also the lack of security having glass everywhere, it could get broken into easily or get smashed from a jolting toolbox! It's still a car, not a van so not designed for van loads / abuse!
I'm guessing your normal car insurance would not cover business use either...

If you need more seats & rear load space get something like a vw caravelle or whatever those vans are; if you cant afford a van can you afford all the other outgoings?

Besides the fact it doesn't look professional there is also the lack of security having glass everywhere, it could get broken into easily or get smashed from a jolting toolbox! It's still a car, not a van so not designed for van loads / abuse!
I'm guessing your normal car insurance would not cover business use either...

If you need more seats & rear load space get something like a vw caravelle or whatever those vans are; if you cant afford a van can you afford all the other outgoings?

i have a van at the moment but it would be more convenient to have an estate i could use for work so long as wouldn't jeopardise future work. dont want the hassle of having to run 2 vehicles.

Ran car for years, Cortina estate, before getting van. Would miss van, but if seats needed for family, and price is right, go ahead. Don't mess up resale value, just get magnetic sign plates. Got one job because others turned up in expensive vans and client thought I needed the money.( He was correct).

Meh, security is an obvious issue but it can be done...

80-775-vehicle-graphics.jpg

Looks good, but the heaviest thing it carries is probably a briefcase! A van would not really be suitable for them obviously, and there maybe more interested in keeping re-sale values high!

Just pointing out to the OP that with good graphics expertly designed and applied an estate car could similarly be made to look as professional. I saw one a few years ago and thought it was a good idea back then, he was a sparky admittedly but it looked slick.

Anyhow I've seen plenty of rough as :nono: plumbers vans to question their professionalism that's for sure. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
to solve a simple problem with a simple answer, car with seats in the back an use as a van , or , van with seats in the back and use as a car!!!! you can get those combos (other vans available before all the combo heaters pop up with comments) with 3 seats in the back that fold down!! and just add the bridge toll onto the bill!!

tried an estate car once.....used to go down the road like the rear of a rocket launcher....near,y changed me name to star gazers ...you need those good tyres and suspension...

Anyhow I've seen plenty of rough as plumbers vans to question their professionalism that's for sure. ;)[/QUOTE]

Have you been spying on me.

From my point of view, if a tradesman turns up in a car not a van I instantly think DIY wannabe. But if that car was professionally wrapped, not sign written I might think yeah there professional with a fleet of vehicles, but no matter what if you use a car it's going to become dirty and not nice to use as a personal vehicle after a while. Where as a van with extra seats and then a bulkhead behind the extra seats will stay cleaner look more professional and be a lot safer and secure. Also to use the car you would have to take all the tools/materials out every time you used it for personal use and I wouldn't want to leave my Stanley knife in the bag by accident with kids in the back if that's what your thinking

My opinion was based on the chap I see down my local merchant in his estate passat, no sign writing or anything just a old banger & you can look through the glass to see a right old mess in the back!!

My opinion was based on the chap I see down my local merchant in his estate passat, no sign writing or anything just a old banger & you can look through the glass to see a right old mess in the back!!

A car may look ok. But as have been pointed out, it's the contents visibility that will pose a problem. Everytime you go out to do a job, you're not sure if a break in will not take place while you're at customers premises working away? There are times when you have to park some distance from place of work. I'd say having a car is a cheaper option but not a safer option.

you got to start somewhere and for some a van is a bit to expensive initially, you soon learn that you need one, then you realise you need a bigger one, then you want the comfiest biggest one out there with a fully racked interior :)

My thoughts based on what are this. The cars/estates that looks professional tend to be alarm engineers cctv guys stuff like that and they are practically brand new cars. The cars that look diy are those with all their crap in the back which tend to be plasterers and decorators round here and they look a mess but they probably get work because they are cheap. That said a beaten up looking van looks just as bad. And thers plenty of them around here aswell

i did alright using an un signed freelander during past winters, but then again, after you turn up for the job they cqant really say anything can they?

doubt you would pick up any new customers though!!

i also had a large transit.

why not buy a cheap corsa van and a decent large van where you can off set against tax, rather than pile it into an expensive one?

Purchasing house in posh area, I was told van would detract from surrounding houses and make them hard to sell.
This was a nonsense, as since I've moved in, both adjacent properties haven been sold and also three properties across the road.

you got to start somewhere and for some a van is a bit to expensive initially, you soon learn that you need one, then you realise you need a bigger one, then you want the comfiest biggest one out there with a fully racked interior :)

I fail to see how this is correct unless your using the car you've already got as my first van cost £1100 was clean straight and tidy no rust, 110,000 on the clock
And my mate bought a similar van for £550 just needed new tyres

i did alright using an un signed freelander during past winters, but then again, after you turn up for the job they cqant really say anything can they?

doubt you would pick up any new customers though!!

i also had a large transit.

why not buy a cheap corsa van and a decent large van where you can off set against tax, rather than pile it into an expensive one?

got a transit connect atm. wasn't looking to get an estate to start out i was considering the viability of changing from my van to an estate for work. Saying that i drove past a plumber with an estate earlier with his gas safe stickers and number stuck on - it looked awful!

I do sub-contract work for one of the biggest refrigeration companies in the UK and all their service lads have estate cars. but in a domestic environment it may appear to some as a DIY

Surely a van with seats in the back would be best all round.
If its servicing and repairs you do, who cares though as long as you can do the job

Last edited:
I fail to see how this is correct unless your using the car you've already got as my first van cost £1100 was clean straight and tidy no rust, 110,000 on the clock
And my mate bought a similar van for £550 just needed new tyres

if your paying that sort of money then I wouldnt want to be working far from home, the walk wont be too bad then..............:)

if your paying that sort of money then I wouldnt want to be working far from home, the walk wont be too bad then..............:)

Served me well that van until I wrote it off, with just over 150,000

Only issue it had was the roof rack bolts leaked water into the back, and I never got round to silicone the holes up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to estate cars for work in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock