Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Ensuite shower problem in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Dave Smith

Dave Smith New Member

Hi all, I know it's my first post here but hopefully someone will help with my issue!

The ensuite shower in my house was working fine for many years until it stopped draining a week ago. A small amount of water goes down but then stops as if it hits a blockage. I tried a (cheap) drain snake which didn't help and was giving up hope when I decided to disconnect the sink in the ensuite and WOOSH all the water drained right away! The shower works absolutely fine when the sink is disconnected, what is the issue? Seems to be something to do with drain pressure rather than a blockage.

The ensuite appears to be on a separate drain line to the main bathroom and there is just the shower and sink, no toilet. I looked for venting on the pipe but I can't see anything coming out the roof other than the extractor fan in there which hasn't worked for months.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Leave the sink disconnected and pour buckets of very hot water down the shower, thinking pipe has a partial restriction from shower gel, soap and hair.

3. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Might be best to get a plumber enlisted as it does sound like a venting issue

Any other works gone on in your house lately?

4. Dave Smith

Dave Smith New Member

Thanks rpm for the suggestion, I've tried hot water and various chemicals to no avail.

ShaunCorbs - no work any time recently, it literally happened out of nowhere.

5. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Dave, never ever mix drain cleaners unless lots and lots of hot water has passed through it, people have been scared for life doing that.