Search the forum,

Discuss Engineer needed in Leeds LS10 to install new boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

richardc1983

Afternoon all:

Following my other post http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/central-heating-forum/93051-boiler-recommendation-2.html and now 3 weeks without heating/hot water homeserve wrote my gloworm 30cxi off. The engineers report said that the reason the boiler had failed was due to the failings of homeserves engineers on previous visits to repair properly. This then went higher to customer relations who then sent gloworm out themselves who also refused to repair and agreed with homeserves contractor that there are multiple failings on homeserves behalf, as such the boiler needed recommissioning, power flush (due to corrosion in the system as they didnt put inhibitor in other times) and various other parts such as PCBS and wiring harness's as the water damage from another leak was not noted on the molex connectors at the PCB change 2 months ago. This in turn has burnt another PCB out.

They have given me two options, to accept a boiler replacement from them an Ideal Logic boiler (2 year manufacturer warranty) which they will supply, I then need to arrange install which they will pay for including powerflush and a magnet filter of some sort to ensure the system is kept clean ongoing and so the warranty will be honoured. Option 2 is they will send me a cheque for 2k where I get someone in to supply and fit the boiler and do powerflush etc.

Advice and recommendations on what you think I should do? I am keen on the ideal boiler as know it has opentherm controls but I tried to push for the Ideal Vogue but they are unable to supply this and said if I want that boiler I would have to do it with the 2k cheque. Someone I know said don't go for the ideal boilers or vogue as its not a stainless steel exchanger.

Regards
Richard.

Last edited by a moderator:
The vogue is a superb boiler

Yeah I have read that on here but for some reason one engineer didn't recommend it but he said happy to fit if that's what I want.

How much are they 32kw one?

I am afraid we don't discuss prices on here obviously I'm sure you can appreciate as we have trade discount and the like it would be inappropriate to comment. The best thing I can recommend would be to get three quotes. Every engineer will have their favourite boiler to fit So may try and dissuade you. If you supply the boiler an engineer Rightfully wash his hands of it if anything goes wrong with the boiler itself as he hasn't supplied the goods

Understandable. One guy has actually recommended ravenheat and I am going to have a filter fitted too.

You just need to ask the right questions mate
Would they be fitting a magnetic filter as standard?
Would they fit an in-line Scale reducer?
These two show an adherence to the manufacturers instructions and requirements
Can they offer an extended manufacturers warranty? Often a good indicator that they are familiar with the products and arent just chucking in the cheapest thing that they've managed to get from the merchants.
Does your gaspipe need an upgrade? Some modern boilers require a minimum of 22 mm

Finally joking or not do not fit a raven heat !!!

Last edited:
You just need to ask the right questions mate
Would they be fitting a magnetic filter as standard?
Would they fit an in-line Scale reducer?
These two show an adherence to the manufacturers instructions and requirements
Can they offer an extended manufacturers warranty? Often a good indicator that they are familiar with the products and arent just chucking in the cheapest thing that they've managed to get from the merchants.
Does your gaspipe need an upgrade? Some modern boilers require a minimum of 22 mm

Finally joking or not do not fit a raven heat !!!

I hear you on all comments. I am a facilities manager so used to scoping up these kind of works but usually commercially.

Prob go for the ideal vogue as it has opentherm but so does the ravenheat, can you share any thoughts on why to avoid. I am told they have massively cleaned their act up now.

The boilers may have improved slightly but the competitors are now so far ahead it's ridiculous. On my few encounters with their after sales support and technical I have found them to be shocking. Vogue also has a 10 year warranty.

Up to you mate. I'd never fit one

The new Ravenheat is cracking value for money , but what makes them is there customer service / engineer back up .
I fit viessmans as my No 1 choice, but Ravenheat as a budget boiler .

I know you can't give costs but is there much diff between a he98 ravenheat at. £746 and a vogue 32kw?

The he98 is a new product and has no real track record to speak of so we can only go by Ravenheat's past record. You can look up the price of an Ideal Vogue from any online supplier, it has a stainless hex and longer guarantee than you'll be able to get with that Ravenheat. A Logic + installed by someone approved should also give you an ample guarantee and is nearer the he98's price point.

Think i'd be sticking to the Ideal over the Ravenheat. Although i've never fitted on I've heard good things about the Ideal Vogue range from others.

One engineer has reccomended vokera all the others say vogue. The vokera also has opentherm.

Can I ask what you are hoping to achieve with open therm as you are looking at what I would call some budget boilers just to ensure that this is incorporated

Close control and comfort - open therm looks to be the best. I am looking at the vogue most likely as there's very little in the cost of a logic + & the vogue.

IMO you are far better off with weather comp . As for the Vokera........ Pfffttttttttt

Check out the vsmart on Vaillant or the migo on Glow-worm both really clever smart thermostats with weather comp. very very efficient devices I would say significantly better boiiers

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Engineer needed in Leeds LS10 to install new boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock