Search the forum,

Discuss End of life Greenslave - suggestions? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scenario:
3 Bedroom 1970’s bungalow 110m2 - off gas main. Run as self catering holiday let in South Devon.
Suspended timber floor. Loft well insulated following referb in 2010 with certificate.
Unknown if wall cavity insulated
Oil Worcester Heatslave 15/19 combi approximately 10-15 years old
10 radiators 1 towel rail
Shallow pitch 150m2 Unshaded East\West roof.
Small front garden – large rear, but with access limited to 2 side gates.
The boiler has been very – (very) unreliable over the last 3 years since I bought the property.

The property has been letting well, but the heating is causing the property manager, guests and I a massive headache with numerous failures, ranging from a substantial oil leak (~500l in ground under boiler) 2 years ago, to electrical problems, including cutting out, failing to start, low pressure, pressure high and currently - varying pressure and currently unhealthy noises from the circulation pump. Parts replaced over the last 3 years, include: prv, fuel pump, motorised valve, burner, 2 flexible fuel pipes, programmer, room thermostat and other bits I cannot remember. 5 different companies’ engineers have attended. I have it serviced annually and the reason so many different companies are involved is that faults are inevitably discovered at changeover on a Friday afternoon or reported shortly afterwards by the guests. Finding the same person available over the weekend has, until recently, been very difficult in the area.

I am very keen to move away from oil (or anything requiring scheduled delivery) and fully intended to look at a heat pump of some sort, doing the installation immediately prior to retiring to the property in about 2 or 3 years’ time. This will be a major upgrade including under floor heating, solar pv and solar thermal. However the frequency of failure of the current system is becoming so disruptive, that I’m being forced to bring forward to this winter (or even now), a change that restores reliability. To that end, I’ve closed for the winter – November to March. This should be enough time to get all (some of?) the work done. I’ve got a maximum budget of 20K today but can add to that when we sell up and move in permanently.

I don’t think that guests will cope without some form of ‘instant’ heating system, however I’m reluctant to spend too much on a system (or part of one) that isn’t part of the grand plan. I’ve contemplated the subject of low grade heating systems for the last couple of years and mentally committed to installing one but now that’s at risk if I have to make a hasty ‘fix’ ie a new oil boiler.

I have looked at electric boilers as a quick solution, however, their running costs seem prohibitive. If I installed a new oil boiler and wanted to change it again in 3 years, do they have any resale value second hand?

It seems todays problem (awaiting further information from engineer on site now) is air being entrained from somewhere. Access to the under floor area is possible but very disruptive. I am covered by insurance for the cost of access and making good, but not the repair itself. I’m also covered for loss of booking income due to failure of the heating system making the property uninhabitable. (With today’s outside temperature, heating failure makes that true!). So although I don’t want to, I can close to get on with repairs. What to do?

My choices seem to be:
1 Continue with the ad hoc repairs with all the stress and disruption that causes each time.
2 Replace the boiler, leaving existing pipework and radiators.
3 Replace the boiler and install under floor heating if the existing pipework and radiators are grotty enough to warrant it.
4 ? 5? 6?

If anyone who’s been patient enough to read through this epic first post, cares to offer suggestions I’d be really please.
Thanks,
John

Last edited:
Firstly what area are you in as there may be a member close by that could possibly help you more

Your cheapest option and quickest is just a new oil boiler

Option 2 is a air to water heat pump with underfloor heating expensive and will be intrusive ie building works etc

Another option
Is buffer linked to possible oil boiler/heat pump solar and may e a log stove or maybe a wood pellet boiler/ stove

Well I live in Shropshire, but the property is near Dartmouth in the South Hams, Devon. The house has a small wood burner in the living room but that's the opposite end of the property to the boiler. As I said, I'd like to stay away from a product that needs to be delivered. Do new boilers have any resale value? It may only been in use a couple of years before I go down another route.

Personally i would get a local company in to look at ways of putting in a oil boiler linked to an air source heat pump. So you can fit the oil boiler then at a later stage fit the air source heat pump and install a new heating system that is more efficient, leaving the oil boiler in so that it can act as a top up in the depths of winter. With the possibility of adding solar thermal into the mix for hot water in the summer.

pointless installing an ashp if building thermal loss is high, ie no insulated walls etc, best bet to install new boiler and solar hw cyl imho. otherwise youll just have a massive electricity bill.

pointless installing an ashp if building thermal loss is high, ie no insulated walls etc, best bet to install new boiler and solar hw cyl imho. otherwise youll just have a massive electricity bill.

he said he was doing a major re-furb in a few years, which would be the time to re-insulate the property and install the renewables. i was saying in the mean time get a new oil boiler, that can then be linked into the new system when its put in as a back up.

he said he was doing a major re-furb in a few years, which would be the time to re-insulate the property and install the renewables. i was saying in the mean time get a new oil boiler, that can then be linked into the new system when its put in as a back up.

I agree
But as lame said building needs to be very well insulated you can have the best heating system in world but if you can't keep the heat in then your wasting your time and money

Apologies to all for including so much info in my initial post - So much to consider and do!
Yes, I need to address the buildings losses. Do you think I should / could get the assessment done immediately (I have the property booked in May for a week when insulation upgrades could happen) to enable future heating work in the winter, and if so, who will do that work?
I haven't yet researched that side of the issue. Bit reluctant to keep an oil boiler long term even as a backup, as after the 500l leak and aftermath, the sooner I can remove the tank, the better. I guess the question I'm really interested in is the potential resale value of a fairly new boiler.

quibbling about pennies when you going to have to pay out £s to get floor insulation, ufh, windows and walls insulated etc is the least of the issues, plus you still need some sort of backup now.

quibbling about pennies when you going to have to pay out £s to get floor insulation, ufh, windows and walls insulated etc is the least of the issues, plus you still need some sort of backup now.
Good point and part of the reason I exposed my dithering to the masses, was to get clear concise replies <g>.

if you want a clear consise answer you need people on site to suggest ways ahead and quotes, a forum cant really do that for you

Got to start somewhere, and I'd rather debate and become informed here, than with sales people over the phone. I cannot get onsite easily and I've always found professionals happy to chat about their trade. If I can eliminate the craziness from my plan (whatever that turns into) I see that as a good thing.

So, if I install a new replacement oil boiler, is it better to go for a closed system with posh new thermal store plumbed with future changes in mind, or stick with a combi?

If you were to get rid of the combi first and replace it with a condensing heat only boiler with an unvented cylinder, this would be the best system you could have.
The problems you are having with the current one is typical of one that age and indeed combis are more troublesome than ordinary boilers. The trouble with renting the property the tenants tend not to look after the boiler, they just run it until it packs up. I seem to remember seeing a comparison in an oil magazine of all the different options for heating compared to oil and considering the outlay of all the other options I think oil still comes out on top.

Last edited by a moderator:
To give you an example I look after some holiday cottages 3 have combis and 3 have heat only boilers. I have never been to any heat only boiler breakdowns but I have been to lots of breakdowns for the combis, the breakdowns are usually items that have failed that are peculiar to the combis, as you say the problems arrive on changeover, I do call outs at weekends and evenings in these cases if I am available.

Well, thank you all for your input. I'm away now to learn about condensing heat only boilers with an unvented cylinder. Sounds a standard solution which is "always a good thing".

So you are. Recently found someone in Kingsbridge who will do weekend, evenings. 3 weeks ago I'd have bitten your hand off. Not that you'd want to work on my current boiler though! Its been a right pita. Thanks for the offer. I'll PM you for details if that's ok.

Would recommend a Grant Utility boiler as they are pretty rock solid. Avoid Firebird, Warmflow, Worcester or Grandee with the proverbial end of the stick. Have a look at the Grantuk website - loads on alternative energy systems and thermal stores too. Grant do multiple heat source systems designed so they can all be easily tied together.

If you're going for a total refurb, consider an underfloor heating system. (always plan out your bathroom first so you know where is safe to make holes in the floor later to mount WC, basin etc)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to End of life Greenslave - suggestions? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock