Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss employers liability one manual director? in the Insurance for Plumbers area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nobby

nobby Guest

I run a limited company one man band as sole working director and are gas safe reg. The public liability insurance is due, our renewal with Trade Direct is £450, this includes employers liability. I understand EL is not a legal requirement with no employees and only one director. So if I take a quote I have for £260 which excludes EL, what would happen if say I fell off a ladder for some reason, would I be able to claim? As I understand it a director is an employee within a limited company so it would be best to have it. Any thoughts?

2. mountainman

mountainman Plumber GSR

Let's get this into perspective.

You are a sole director/employee of a limited company.
    You pay minimal tax and NI because you pay yourself dividends on a minimal salary.

And you are quibbling about £190.

3. nobby

nobby Guest

Yes, perhaps you can afford to waste money but Id rather spend it on whatever else ware :wink_smile:. That would tax the van for a year.

4. mountainman

mountainman Plumber GSR

Are you from Yorkshire lad?

5. nobby

nobby Guest

Why what would that have to do with the OP, kid

6. mountainman

mountainman Plumber GSR

Yorkshire folk are well reputed to be 'careful'.
    In fact I knew one lovely Yorkshireman who lived with his wife halfway up a mountain.

For many years she complained that she wanted central heating because it was so cold in the winter that they lived in the bedroom and abandoned most of the house.

When he suddenly died, the wife eventually found out that she was worth over two million quid.

She is not cold in the winter now!

7. lame plumber

lame plumber Guest

employers liability doesnt cover a sole trader/only director of a ltd co falling off his ladder, need accident/critical illness type cover for that and most folk cant afford the premiums

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2013
  8. nobby

nobby Guest

£283 Vs 453 seems like a no brainer to me, the 453 reckons to include free EL

9. mountainman

mountainman Plumber GSR

You'd already made your decision before the OP.
    Why bother dragging this thread out any longer?

10. nobby

nobby Guest

who are you the forum/village idiot?

11. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber

No he isn't, the forum/village idiot is the one still trying to figure out what he did wrong with his shower 4 months later.

• Like Like x 2
  12. mountainman

mountainman Plumber GSR

I am and I am willing to fight you to retain my status.
    Although I fear that you are far more qualified than I am and it should be easy for you to usurp me.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Nostrum

Nostrum Plumber GSR

I'd like to see how you can claim against yourself in a situation like this, as the director of the company, and the claimant at the same time?

Fraudulent claims galore.

14. Ermintrude

Ermintrude Plumber GSR

Haven't you also got a Secretary or partner as per article of incorporation ? Pay them fifty grand ( on paper) and then let them have an accident... Loss of earnings. No win no fee would be all over it!