Search the forum,

Discuss Electrician looking to add skills in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Saucepan

Hello everyone. I wonder if I could get some advice?

I am an electrician (20 years) and like most other people I am struggling for work. I have been fitting solar PV panels for the last 2 years but as you're probably aware, the backside has fallen out of the market. I am considering a plumbing course to try and get into other renewable energy technologies - Solar thermal etc.

Like most electricians, I am pretty handy when it comes to the practical side of plumbing but I'm probably sadly lacking on the theory side. My aim is to do a short sharp course (8 weeks) and get my qualifications that way. I know this kind of approach is often frowned upon (our industry has plenty 5 week wonders....) and I am aware that this won't make me an experienced plumber - but it's a step.

I wonder if some members could give me some advice on good training providers, or warn me off the bad ones? Ideally I would like to train in Birmingham.

I appreciate your help.

I will swop you, you provide me with details of a good (no more than 8 week) course which makes me qualified & allows me to work as a skilled sparks & I will sort you out with a plumbing one that does the same thing. Can't say fairer than that, as I have not got any work at moment perhaps we could swop over job's !! what do you say ?

Sorry fella, I can't help you. I did an apprenticeship so I have no experience of short courses.

Go for the Part P course Chris.
Only five days and you'll learn all there is to know about electrics. ;)

Go for the Part P course Chris.
Only five days and you'll learn all there is to know about electrics. ;)
Five day's that sounds OK, much better than 8 weeks !! How much do they cost ?? Got to be cheaper, if that is all it takes.
Come to think of it I am going off the idea cor's if it is that easy everybody will be doing it & as Saucepan say's there is not much work in it anymore!!

I was hoping to get competent in changing boilers also. Could anyone tell me what qualifications are required to carry out this work?

Thanks in advance.

I was hoping to get competent in changing boilers also. Could anyone tell me what qualifications are required to carry out this work?

Thanks in advance.

CCN1 plus boilers, possibly unvented hot water plus Gas Safe registration and PL insurance.

A doddle :)

Ha ha! I know it won't be a doddle. I'm determined to get myself in a position where I have as much opportunity to work as possible though. Tough times ahead, I reckon.

Ahead!
I think they are already here...

Ps, I forgot that you'll need an flue gas analyser too.

They definitely are here. But I really do worry that things are going to get worse. I'm hoping that the Green Deal may give us some opportunity but who knows?

Can anyone else recommend a good course? Or warn me off a bad one? Anyone know anything about RT training?

Thanks for the link. It doesn't surprise me to be honest. I'm not sure it will affect me so much though as I'm only adding the skills to me existing business - not actually looking to work for someone else.

Thats where the problems will arise Saucepan, not working for someone else.

You can pay all the best training companies all you like, until you get a portfolio you will not stand a chance, we have lots of guys on here weekly looking to work for free
to gain experience.

Better to channel your current skills to a more achievable outcome than pay £££££ to gain nothing.

Fair advice I think from a time served gas fitter who dabbled with Part p when it came out in 2005, paid corgi loads of money to be another member, then gave up the sparky side as a bad idea.

Best of luck but please dont waste any money.

Kev.

I don't blame you for wanting to add skills etc. but I think you need to be carefull that you don't fall into "jack of all trades master of none." I think customers like to know who's who. If someone pulled up in a van saying heating, electrics, window cleaning and gardener on the side It would put a few off.

Welcome to the forum saucepan , I see where your coming from I know a few guys in a is liar situation. I'll tell you what I've told them stick to what your good at electrics and team up with a plumber who's good at what does. Between you , you will have it covered and share the work ok

To be fair, I probably will be employing plumbers. I like to know my trade though. Don't worry, I won't fall into the "jack of all trades" trap.

I am aware of how little work there is out there and I know that it will probably been seen as a bad investment. However, we have had missed opportunites that I wouldn't like to miss out on again.

To be fair, I probably will be employing plumbers. I like to know my trade though. Don't worry, I won't fall into the "jack of all trades" trap.

I am aware of how little work there is out there and I know that it will probably been seen as a bad investment. However, we have had missed opportunites that I wouldn't like to miss out on again.

Been there as well, the peach of a job for my sparky lost me a big boiler installation.

On speaking to the sparky the house needed a complete rewire, the house had cables I had only read about in manuals, nearly brittle when he lifted a few floor boards to check as he was worried
when looking around.

If I hadnt arranged for a qualified sparky to do the main earth bonding before I started the job I would not have lost out!!!

[/B]
Been there as well, the peach of a job for my sparky lost me a big boiler installation.

On speaking to the sparky the house needed a complete rewire, the house had cables I had only read about in manuals, nearly brittle when he lifted a few floor boards to check as he was worried
when looking around.

If I hadnt arranged for a qualified sparky to do the main earth bonding before I started the job I would not have lost out!!!

Couldve saved you getting an almighty belt tho Kev! Better than money in the bank!

Saucepan

Your post is interesting in how you seem eager to spend your money on a course, to learn some theoory about plumbing. The internet world is full of theory about plumbing - learn it for free.

You have other alternatives, such as joining a professional body as a student member and going to technical evenings - CIPHE.

However, I feel it a shame that our technical training system cannot cater for you. You have skills and knowledge that could be extended by good quality technical training for 'experienced' operatives - instead you are faced with joining training that is designed for novice jobbers or school kid preparatory courses.

It is also ironic, that the whole point of NVQs was to bring flexible qualifications and eradication of time serving with its inherent demarcation for different trades. Yet 30 years-in, we still have no sign of qualifications which are suitable for those that already have relevant technical knowledge.

I think with your skill set, a plumbing enhancement will bode well for future renewable markets, but this will be as oversupplied as the plumbing and gas market.

My advice would be to move into management, because you have relevant experience and there is a skill shortate (publicised by the summitskills sector implemetation strategy). Note, all these plumbers and electricians willing to work for free or minimum wage, now need organising - think AA, homeserve, RAC, Tesco etc offering contract or insurance policies.

Installation is clearly for minimum wage occupations, so avoid this by heading for supervisor roles and qualifications. Especially that your skill-set will be in demand at some stage in the near future with the green deal.

Saucepan

Your post is interesting in how you seem eager to spend your money on a course, to learn some theoory about plumbing. The internet world is full of theory about plumbing - learn it for free.

You have other alternatives, such as joining a professional body as a student member and going to technical evenings - CIPHE.

However, I feel it a shame that our technical training system cannot cater for you. You have skills and knowledge that could be extended by good quality technical training for 'experienced' operatives - instead you are faced with joining training that is designed for novice jobbers or school kid preparatory courses.

It is also ironic, that the whole point of NVQs was to bring flexible qualifications and eradication of time serving with its inherent demarcation for different trades. Yet 30 years-in, we still have no sign of qualifications which are suitable for those that already have relevant technical knowledge.

I think with your skill set, a plumbing enhancement will bode well for future renewable markets, but this will be as oversupplied as the plumbing and gas market.

My advice would be to move into management, because you have relevant experience and there is a skill shortate (publicised by the summitskills sector implemetation strategy). Note, all these plumbers and electricians willing to work for free or minimum wage, now need organising - think AA, homeserve, RAC, Tesco etc offering contract or insurance policies.

Installation is clearly for minimum wage occupations, so avoid this by heading for supervisor roles and qualifications. Especially that your skill-set will be in demand at some stage in the near future with the green deal.

Clanger, the college courses are not theory only, not sure were you have got this information from

The QCF NVQ's are available on a modular basis so will recognise prior learning and units mapped across from other qualifications. And if a candidate has 5 years plus experience they can take the direct access route.

Sorry if this looks like Im trying to be picky but a few of your points are incorrect and require clarity for people reading

Fuzzy

Clanger, the college courses are not theory only, not sure were you have got this information from

The QCF NVQ's are available on a modular basis so will recognise prior learning and units mapped across from other qualifications. And if a candidate has 5 years plus experience they can take the direct access route.

Sorry if this looks like Im trying to be picky but a few of your points are incorrect and require clarity for people reading

Fuzzy
Can I just ask want evidence would be required for the 5 year plus experience, would they have to take a trade skills entry test or just turn up & be old enough ??
Even if this route does exist (just like it did for the 6089) do you know any college's that actually runs this route, access may be one thing, what happens in practise quite another !!!!

Can I just ask want evidence would be required for the 5 year plus experience, would they have to take a trade skills entry test or just turn up & be old enough ??
Even if this route does exist (just like it did for the 6089) do you know any college's that actually runs this route, access may be one thing, what happens in practise quite another !!!!

A CV, references etc. its not difficult to get evidence and the assessor has to make a professional judgement, the external verifier is there to support if your not sure what to ask for

Im not entirely sure if the 6189 has the same options as the outgoing 6089 NVQ but I know quite a few who took this option with success.

Hi guys,
I am an electrician 4 years and like most other people I am struggling for work. I have been fitting solar PV panels for the last 2 years but as you're probably aware, the backside has fallen out of the market. I am considering a plumbing course to try and get into other renewable energy technologies - Solar thermal etc.

So what would you like to know that has not been said in answer to the OP on this thread ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Electrician looking to add skills in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock